You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

2 minutes ago, chakko007 said:

Yeah, it's a pixel selection in AP. Something i also have to get used to, coming from other programs which don't call it like that. ;)

It's always good to learn new languages.

Mind you, what do I know, I'm English. They just teach us to speak louder if people don't understand us :D

Windows PCs. Photo and Designer, latest non-beta versions.

On 1/13/2019 at 1:25 PM, Steps said:

So in conclusion even Photoshop Elements 12 IMHO is far more mature than Photo. They have some way to go to catch up.

But it also costs half the price as PSE! So in my view for my needs they are equal (not better!) on the cost/performance ratio.

Adobe did not change much in PSE in the last 5 years while Affinity Photo changed a lot. So there is a possibility to catch up.

Maybe Affinity Photo will be on a PSE level with v2.0 and adjust pricing to 99$. That would be fair imho.

Sorry, can't agree with that.

I've worked at companies at so many levels and fields, using Photoshop, and I've trialed in several occasions the supposedly toned down PSE... And . WOW. Just WOW.  Yeah, easy GUI, but no, thank you. They stripped down the thing so much than I can't even call it a toy... I mean,... NO CMYK mode (I'm better off with GIMP, then ! ) ... really advanced selections (often the ultimate KEY for really advanced photo manipulation, image editing in general)--> goodbye fair well, quite lower performance than in PS... dunno, it's way too many things.  Fun fact: I have CMYK mode, I can use whatever the color profile there, in A. Photo. Advanced selections ? No problem, there too. And indeed. despite all that (and much, much, MUCH more) , still the ting costs 50 euros or so, and PSE about double. Maybe PSE had some red eye reduction or special ease of use more closer to one of those "fix your family photos" approaches, but really, for deep serious stuff, I'd feel way better covered with Affinity Photo than PSE, by a large difference. In that regard, also just using Gimp (but they still have certain distance to catch-up Photo)... So, I'd love to, but can't agree... If anything, I'd be to believe is PSE the one needing to "catch up" with Photo...   :)

AD, AP and APub. V1.10.6 and V2.4 Windows 10 and Windows 11. 
Ryzen 9 3900X, 32 GB RAM,  RTX 3060 12GB, Wacom Intuos XL, Wacom L. Eizo ColorEdge CS 2420 monitor. Windows 10 Pro.
(Laptop) HP Omen 16-b1010ns 12700H, 32GB DDR5, nVidia RTX 3060 6GB + Huion Kamvas 22 pen display, Windows 11 Pro.

2 hours ago, toltec said:

It's always good to learn new languages.

Mind you, what do I know, I'm English. They just teach us to speak louder if people don't understand us :D

It's funny... they try (impossible mission) to teach us not to speak so loud to the British and any other foreigner... And neither doing so among us, when they are near... I used to travel as a teenager, with the family... Wow, what a difference. I remember asking my father ... "Why is everybody whispering, dad ?"

Ryzen 9 3900X, 32 GB RAM,  RTX 3060 12GB, Wacom Intuos XL, Wacom L. Eizo ColorEdge CS 2420 monitor. Windows 10 Pro.
(Laptop) HP Omen 16-b1010ns 12700H, 32GB DDR5, nVidia RTX 3060 6GB + Huion Kamvas 22 pen display, Windows 11 Pro.

On 1/13/2019 at 1:42 PM, chakko007 said:

What i definitely miss in APhoto compared to Photoshop Elements, which i also use, are the additional brushes, and, especially,

I'm not sure if I understand this well...

You have the possibility of purchasing, for just some ( a bundle for 12 bucks or sth that level) coins,  "beyond-amazing" as I call them, Paolo's Daub brushes. I've being playing with them and puts Affinity Photo in another league, in painting. (I still see core issues for painting in the application, but are being polished...). Indeed, I got them as well for other software for 2D and drawing (other company), as he does it for several software applications, and works great there, too. There are also other brush vendors for Affinity (I'm planning to get me an engraving one. Not that I need it, is just I love the output it seems to produce. I think this one is sold directly in Affinity store). And there are even free sets of brushes (in the forum).

On 1/14/2019 at 4:33 PM, SrPx said:

Sorry, can't agree with that.

I've worked at companies at so many levels and fields, using Photoshop, and I've trialed in several occasions the supposedly toned down PSE... And . WOW. Just WOW.  Yeah, easy GUI, but no, thank you. They stripped down the thing so much than I can't even call it a toy... I mean,... NO CMYK mode (I'm better off with GIMP, then ! ) ... really advanced selections (often the ultimate KEY for really advanced photo manipulation, image editing in general)--> goodbye fair well, quite lower performance than in PS... dunno, it's way too many things.  Fun fact: I have CMYK mode, I can use whatever the color profile there, in A. Photo. Advanced selections ? No problem, there too. And indeed. despite all that (and much, much, MUCH more) , still the ting costs 50 euros or so, and PSE about double. Maybe PSE had some red eye reduction or special ease of use more closer to one of those "fix your family photos" approaches, but really, for deep serious stuff, I'd feel way better covered with Affinity Photo than PSE, by a large difference. In that regard, also just using Gimp (but they still have certain distance to catch-up Photo)... So, I'd love to, but can't agree... If anything, I'd be to believe is PSE the one needing to "catch up" with Photo...   :)

Thank you for answering to my post. I already believed the thread to be gone off-topic. :-)

I like to hear peoples opinion.

Yes, PSE has indeed some artifical limitations applied to make it unusable for professionals: There is no CMYK, no 48 bit images, no exact icc Profile setting and so on. I don't care about that, but it's true that they excluded it so that PSE does not compete with PS CC.

I don't know what you mean by "advanced selection". I know of nothing that PS or Photo have more to offer here. Please tell me.

I don't know how well PS performs but on my computer PSE 12 and Photo are on par. Similar operations like inpainting take the same time. Both have a good performance as I perceive it.

Forget all that wizard stuff in PSE. I don't need it, I don't use it. I am exlusively on the "expert" tab/mode and this is where I compare other applications with.

And as I said: Basic operations like particulary cropping and straighten are lacking in Photo. There is no autocrop, you can't move the crop tool with keyboard, the UX is cluttered... many things were Photo just feels not as mature as PSE.

Many PS Elements users surely want to switch over to Photo because it's not cloud connected, it has a modern image and is cheaper. But then they stumble over something as easy as cropping during their trial and might wonder "if this alone feels so unpolished, what about the overall state?".

And I really see no reason why this feels so unfinished other than that PSE had way more time to mature. I know and it has said often before that this is not a fair comparison because Photo 1.7 is basicly version 5 (counting 1.3 as the first) and PSE 12 is... version 12.

But this is okay. In my view it's not that mature and complete (in regard of basic things) but it only costs a fraction.

So I won't complain. Cost/performance ratio compared to PSE is for what hobbyists/amateurs like me need very fair. I would not pay a cent more for CMYK as I don't need it. My printer wants RGB/8 from me.

I need to crop, resize, rotate, adjust contrast & colors, whiten teeths, fix blemishes and other inpainting and sometimes to cut out something. The input is a TIF out of DPP, the output a JPEG RGB/8. And of course I want to work non-destructive. Give me an easy to use tool for that. ;-)

And if Photo reaches PSE todays maturity somewhere in version 2.x I would pay the same price.

And GIMPs usability is just awful. Always hated that.

EDIT: One thing that PSE has not to offer are live filters. I have to work today more destructive as I want to.

Edited by Steps

Windows 10 Pro x64 (1903). Intel Core i7-9700K @ 3.60GHz, 32 GB memory, NVidia RTX 2080
Affinity Photo 1.7.2.471, Affinity Designer 1.7.2.471, Affinity Publisher 1.7.2.471

41 minutes ago, SrPx said:

I'm not sure if I understand this well...

You have the possibility of purchasing, for just some ( a bundle for 12 bucks or sth that level) coins,  "beyond-amazing" as I call them, Paolo's Daub brushes. I've being playing with them and puts Affinity Photo in another league, in painting. (I still see core issues for painting in the application, but are being polished...). Indeed, I got them as well for other software for 2D and drawing (other company), as he does it for several software applications, and works great there, too. There are also other brush vendors for Affinity (I'm planning to get me an engraving one. Not that I need it, is just I love the output it seems to produce. I think this one is sold directly in Affinity store). And there are even free sets of brushes (in the forum).

Not sure if i understand your post well either. Do you want to tell me that, when we compare two programs, that one program could be enhanced by third party payware software? What if i purchase Elements Plus, and put Photoshop Elements on a level almost comparable with the "big" Photoshop? Should i compare that to Affinity Photo without any additions then?

Of course i can buy additional software. But, then there would be no point to compare what the programs come with out of the box. And, i would also always have to buy something on top of what i have, which makes the whole comparison useless.

Apart from that i have never, i repeat, never seen anything which a third party sells, which can really compare to the "factory" stuff. I don't know how good those brushes are, but, i'm doubtful that they're as good as the ones in Photoshop Elements, or even the APhoto included ones. Just my stomach feeling, and judging from the experience i always had with third party additions, or plugins.

In the thirty years I was producing artwork for the print trade I always asked two questions when it came to buying software.

Which software programs do what I want.

Which one on the above list is the cheapest.

Which one is the easiest to use.

99 times out of a 100 that was the one I bought.

At the moment Affinity Photo is at the top of all my lists. Simples !

sergei.jpg.b7f6dd6279a5660f469b5fbcdcf790ad.jpg

Obviously I was not in the accounting department ;)

10 minutes ago, toltec said:

In the thirty years I was producing artwork for the print trade I always asked two questions when it came to buying software.

Which software programs do what I want.

Which one on the above list is the cheapest.

Which one is the easiest to use.

99 times out of a 100 that was the one I bought.

At the moment Affinity Photo is at the top of all my lists. Simples !

So the price was always more imporant to you and usability came second?

For me I always locked in the price range, decided my limit and bought the best to use.

For 100€ as my limit this includes here a lot of apps including APhoto, PSE 2019, PSP 2019, cyberlink Stuff, Magix Stuff...

Usability is more important than price.

Normally I would go for PSE 2019, but they changed so little and I want to see how Publisher does with Photo...

Windows 10 Pro x64 (1903). Intel Core i7-9700K @ 3.60GHz, 32 GB memory, NVidia RTX 2080
Affinity Photo 1.7.2.471, Affinity Designer 1.7.2.471, Affinity Publisher 1.7.2.471

10 minutes ago, Steps said:

So the price was always more imporant to you and usability came second?

For me I always locked in the price range, decided my limit and bought the best to use.

For 100€ as my limit this includes here a lot of apps including APhoto, PSE 2019, PSP 2019, cyberlink Stuff, Magix Stuff...

Usability is more important than price.

Normally I would go for PSE 2019, but they changed so little and I want to see how Publisher does with Photo...

No, speed of production always came very high on the list. As long as it was affordable.

But the companies I worked for always bought the cheapest tool for the job. More or less.

Then again we did have Quark XPress, InDesign, Photoshop, Illustrator, Corel Draw, Farukkh Imposition and loads of exotic plug-ins.

Things are a bit different now it's my pension. Same philosophy, smaller pockets ;)

1 hour ago, toltec said:

sergei.jpg.b7f6dd6279a5660f469b5fbcdcf790ad.jpg

Obviously I was not in the accounting department ;)

Priceless!!!!!    

24" iMAC Apple M1 chip, 8-core CPU, 8-core GPU, 16 GB unified memory, 1 TB SSD storage, Ventura 13.6.  Photo, Publisher, Designer 1.10.5, and 2.3.
MacBook Pro 13" 2020, Apple M1 chip, 16GB unified memory, 256GB  SSD storage
,  Ventura 13.6.   Publisher, Photo, Designer 1.10.5, and 2.1.1.  
 iPad Pro 12.9 2020 (4th Gen. IOS 16.6.1); Apple pencil.  
Wired and bluetooth mice and keyboards.9_9

• 10 months later...

Hi, 

Sorry if I'm late to the discussion. I'm using Affinity Photo together with Capture One, for editing photos as a semi-pro. I also have an in-house job as a photographer, where I have to use Lightroom and Photoshop. So I frequently use both AF and PS. Actually, I am surprised by how little I seem to miss features in Affinity Photo compared to Photoshop. And I also find it quite easy to switch between using one interface over the other. If you are going for a photo editor without a subscription, I think you would be very happy with choosing Affinity Photo, as it is quite close to Photoshop. Much closer than for instance, Photoshop Elements, which is also mentioned in the thread.

For those interested, you can find a comparison between Affinity Photo and Photoshop here

• 1 month later...

Affinity Photo Software Benefits

• Creates accurate designs with 1,000,000 percent zoom
  • Provides advanced snapping, dynamic precision guides and grid options
  • Vector and Pixel features are present in a single workflow
  • Users can craft beautiful vector illustrations with this software
  • Accurate geometrical figures and precise curves
  • Stunning colors with full-range of ICC and CMYK color management
  • Smart brush stabilization features and advanced artboards
  • Responsive designs with dynamic symbols
  • Asset Management and superior file system support
  • UI, App and based Design Optimization features
  • The upgraded memory system, etc.

For those interested, you can find a head to head comparison between Affinity Photo and Photoshop here.

Edited by alex_martin2020

2 hours ago, alex_martin2020 said:

For those interested, you can find a head to head comparison between Affinity Photo and Photoshop here.

Welcome to the Serif Affinity forums, Alex.

There are a number of things wrong in that review:

• The Affinity Photo column seems to mix statements about Photo and Designer freely. It also calls it a single application, while referring variously to Designer and to Photo.
  • It classifies "Affinity" as a single application that is a "vector graphic design software application", which I might agree with if it said Designer, but I would not agree with for Photo.
  • It says that Photo is for Windows only.

I have the feeling that much of the wording on the page was directly done as a cut/paste from Affinity marketing material, with some jumbling of the placement and intermixing of information about Photo and Designer, with some added errors. I wouldn't really call it a review or a good comparison.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

2 hours ago, walt.farrell said:

There are a number of things wrong in that review:

In addition to what you mentioned, among other things it says "the Tools 'module' cannot move in Affinity Photo" but of course the Tools panel can be docked or floating. There are also oddities like saying that Affinity supports China, Germany, Japan, Spain, France, Russia, Italy, and Portugal languages, & only listing English, Dutch, Turkish, and Swedish as languages that Photoshop supports. O.o

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

2 hours ago, R C-R said:

In addition to what you mentioned, among other things it says "the Tools 'module' cannot move in Affinity Photo" but of course the Tools panel can be docked or floating. There are also oddities like saying that Affinity supports China, Germany, Japan, Spain, France, Russia, Italy, and Portugal languages, & only listing English, Dutch, Turkish, and Swedish as languages that Photoshop supports. O.o

Yes. I gave up trying to spot them all. I suppose I could have ended my list with "and many more" :)

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1