You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

UI: Layer Symbol Signifying Blend Options Applied

Working with Affinity Photo Beta 1.7.0.106.

When one applies layer effects to a layer, the fact that effects have been applied to a layer is signified by an "fx" symbol on the layer name within the Layers Panel. However, when one makes adjustments to the Blend Options for a layer via the cog icon in the Layers Panel, there is no corresponding symbol on the layer name to signify that a Blend Option has been applied. It seems that this is a UI oversight.

It would be helpful, in particular for multi-layered documents, for there to be a cog symbol on any layer within the Layer Panel for which Blend Options have been applied.

Is this a UI behavior that could be added to the next shipping version of Affinity Photo?

@fde101

By default, there are no Blend Options applied to one's layers.

Say you're working on a fairly complex photo-composite with many layers, however. And say that you've applied Blend Option curves to three or four of those layers in the course of your work. But now you find that something isn't quite right with the overall result, and what you want to do is quickly track down the layers to which you've applied Blend Option curves. 

In that scenario it would be helpful to see a Blend Option cog symbol on the layer item in the Layers Panel, just has one can see the "fx" symbols on the layer items that have Effects applied.

I suppose another solution would be to wrap the Blend Options into the Layer Effect dialog box (as Adobe does), and just have the presence of applied Blend Option curves signified by the "fx" symbol.

@fde101

The default of flat curves means they have no effect on the layer blending. No change is the default behavior. Semantically the same thing as having no Blend Options applied.

What I'm looking for is an indication that a particular layer's advanced Blending Options have been intentionally changed/manipulated for effect.

Let's have the Affinity team weigh in here.

• Staff

Hi Mark,

I think you make a fair point but this is more of an improvement than a bug—which is what I normally deal with so the best thing I can do it put it forward to the developers on your behalf. It isn't really my place to say whether or not we can or will add a small improvement like this. I'll also move this to the Feature Requests section. 

23 hours ago, Chris B said:

I can do it put it forward to the developers 

There would also be indications for using Fill/Gradient and Transparency Tools effects.

Affinity Store (MSI/EXE): Affinity Suite (ADe, APh, APu) 2.4.0.2301
Dell OptiPlex 7060, i5-8500 3.00 GHz, 16 GB, Intel UHD Graphics 630, Dell P2417H 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Dell Latitude E5570, i5-6440HQ 2.60 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics 530, 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Intel NUC5PGYH, Pentium N3700 2.40 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics, EIZO EV2456 1920 x 1200, Windows 10 Pro, Version 21H1, Build 19043.2130.