You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Style a text frame

Is there no way to style a text frame? For example, I want to create a text frame that has rounded corners, add a stroke to the frame and color the background of the frame. The only thing it appears I can do is color the background of the text frame.

As implied by this, I would also like to be able to save this as a style to apply to any frame. Which brings up the question, is it possible to save what InDesign refers to as object styles?

Many thanks.

15 minutes ago, Mgam said:

is it possible to save what InDesign refers to as object styles?

Not at the moment. Object Styles in Publisher are extremely basic. Understandably so as not everything can be tackled by the team from the word go.

This has been raised before (me included) and hopefully will be addressed by the dev team soon.

2017 27” iMac 4.2 GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i7 • Radeon Pr 580 8GB • 64GB • Ventura 13.6.4.

iPad Pro (10.5-inch) • 256GB • Version 16.4

You would style a Text Frame using the Text Frame studio panel (View > Studio > Text Frame).

tframe.png.37c7dd476161718890c0431548ad0022.png

And yes, you can save that as a Style, using the Style studio panel. However, as @Seneca mentioned you might not have all the same capabilities as InDesign provides. Note, by the way, that a Style derived from a Text Frame in this way will also include properties such as font, font size, character style, paragraph style, and other properties of the text. So when applying the Style to a different text frame you would want to do so with an empty frame, as you will override any of the text-related properties, too.

You might also consider making a text frame, styling it as you like, and saving it as an Asset. Then you can get another frame like the first one by simply dragging it from the Assets studio panel.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

Hi Mgam

If you wanted rounded corners you could create a rounded rectangle first then convert that to a text frame from the layer menu. If you have release 1.7 designer installed then the Vector Persona will be available on release and this will also contain the corner tool

Serif Europe Ltd - Check the latest news at www.affinity.serif.com

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.