You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

I have, unfortunately, lost several images mid production due to pressing a wrong key, computer freeze up, or a variety of other unintended operations.  Would it be to much to be able to choose to activate an auto save feature (in Photo format), set in preferences, that could have a variable time.  This may have been requested before, but I consider it to be an important feature.  Thank you for your interest.

8 minutes ago, Iam1of2 said:

I have, unfortunately, lost several images mid production due to pressing a wrong key, computer freeze up, or a variety of other unintended operations.  Would it be to much to be able to choose to activate an auto save feature (in Photo format), set in preferences, that could have a variable time.  This may have been requested before, but I consider it to be an important feature.  Thank you for your interest.

There is a Preference (under Performance) for File Recovery Interval which defaults to 300 seconds, but you can change it. So, by default, every 5 minutes Photo should save a recovery version of all the files you have open. If Photo crashes, when you again Open one of those files you should be asked if you'd like to recover that version. That should mean, if the recovery works properly, that you'll lose at most 5 minutes of work.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

Be aware that File Recovery is not the same as an Auto Save feature.  Manually saving your document at regular intervals is the best (current) way to ensure you minimise any loss of work due to application/computer problems.

If you mistakenly believe that by setting the File Recovery option on and that that will always protect you from losing large amounts of work in the event of a crash, then you risk being hugely disappointed when a crash occurs

By all means set File Recovery to on (if not already set) but considered it as your last ditch hope in recovering a document that you had not manually saved recently.

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.

Walt - I checked my preferences and yes I see the 300 set for recovery.  So I loaded an image and pulled the plug for the computer from the wall socket simulating an electrical outage.  After restarting the computer and Photo, I was not offered the option of recovery.  The Help file indicates that this should happen automatically, but didn't for me.  I still believe that a true auto save feature is really a valuable thing to have.

On 1/9/2019 at 10:21 PM, Iam1of2 said:

I checked my preferences and yes I see the 300 set for recovery.  So I loaded an image and pulled the plug for the computer from the wall socket simulating an electrical outage.  After restarting the computer and Photo, I was not offered the option of recovery.  The Help file indicates that this should happen automatically, but didn't for me.  I still believe that a true auto save feature is really a valuable thing to have.

Did you wait at least 300 seconds? Had you made any changes, or simply loaded a file? And, most important, did you try to reload the file again?

This is not a session recovery feature. When you restart the program, it does not try to recover every file that was open when the crash occurred.

Rather:

• When you open the program again, it will offer to recover files that were newly created before the crash but never saved by you.
  • For files that were previously saved by you (i.e., not new to the session that crashed) it will offer to recover your unsaved changes when you try to reopen that file.
  • If there were unmodified files open, there is nothing to recover. You simply reopen the original file again.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

The file recovery is absolutely unreliable. In my experience the option to recover a document is only offered for 1 out of 10 crashes (or even worse). Don't count on it! The only thing that actually keeps you safe is ctrl + s. By the way, why is it so hard to press such a simple combination every few minutes? Nevertheless I'd also welcome a real autosave feature.