MR Noo

Clip does unclip

I'm pretty sure I posted this about six months ago but I can't find the post. I have the latest version of affinity photo and am still finding that 'clip canvas' just doesn't work. It unclips the canvas instead. Surely this is a simple fix? Or am I doing something wrong?

48 minutes ago, MR Noo said:

I'm pretty sure I posted this about six months ago but I can't find the post. I have the latest version of affinity photo and am still finding that 'clip canvas' just doesn't work. It unclips the canvas instead. Surely this is a simple fix? Or am I doing something wrong?

Clip Canvas is (I think) defined to be an operation that makes the canvas just large enough to hold all the data.

If you have Cropped the canvas, and have not yet rasterized, then all the data that you cropped away still really exists, as cropping is non-destructive. At that point if you Clip Canvas you'll get it back, based on the definition above. If that's the case, perhaps what you want is to Rasterize it to make the crop destructive and throw away the data that still exists outside the visible bounds of your cropped photo.

-- Walt

Windows 10 Home, April 2018 Update (1803), 16GB memory, Intel Core i7-6700K @ 4.00Gz
Affinity Photo 1.6.5.123 and 1.7.0.209 Beta
Affinity Designer 1.6..5.123 and 1.7.0.209 Beta
Affinity Publisher 1.7.0.221 Beta

If you think of Clip Canvas meaning Resize Canvas (smaller OR bigger) if may be easier to understand what it does.

If you have objects in your document which all fit within the document and there is spare (canvas) space around those objects then Clipping the Canvas will effectively resize the canvas smaller to a size just large enough to accommodate all the objects in your document.

But if you have objects in your document with invisible pixels outside the existing canvas area (created by such things as a non-destructive crop or by dragging an object so it is half-on and half off the canvas) then Clipping the Canvas will effectively resize the canvas larger to a size large enough to accommodate all the objects in your document. (i.e. including the invisible pixels)

Unfortunately when we see/hear the term Clip our brains immediately think of something that will become smaller when it is clipped. It's important to realise that Affinity's use of the term Clip Canvas can make the canvas smaller or bigger depending on if there are hidden/invisible pixels outside the canvas area

The addition of the command Unclip Canvas in Affinity also adds to the confusion as some people would expect the two terms to be opposites of each other but in some circumstances they will produce, visually, exactly the same result (but not all, hence the need for an Unclip Canvas command for some operations)

Due to the ongoing Brexit negotiations, punctuation, spelling and grammar will be used sparingly until further notice.

On 1/8/2019 at 9:58 PM, MR Noo said:

I'm pretty sure I posted this about six months ago but I can't find the post

Click on your name.

Affinity Photo 1.6.5.135, Affinity Designer 1.6.5.135.
Windows 10 Pro, Version 1809, Build 17763.195.
Latitude E5570, i5-6440HQ 2.60 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics 530, 1920 x 1080.