You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Questions with fonts..

Hi,
I still struggle with some of the workflows of Publisher, but also as well with indesign..  because i never had to use it in depth..

My company uses as CI  a font caled   "Agfra Rotis Sanserif"  As far as i have understood this, this isnt a font that you get on your Desktop by default, when using Windows, so our admins supply this font automated to each new Computer that gets installed. 

So everyone using Indesign or Publisher only gets access to it, when "Agfa Rotis Sanserif"  was installed properly on their Desktop.  Now he / she  can work with the font, and doesnt have to think about, while producing sheets of paper.   and printing..

But i was told in some cases, when you use a pdf for example outside of the company, on an external laptop for example this can lead to problems.  I was told that our colleques have to remember to embedd the font to the pdf.  Otherwise, presenting for example a pdf via beamer on an foreing laptop, will lead to uggly presentations, in the case, because windows will substitute the font with something else..

furthermore, i was told, we cant give the font away seperated from the pdf, because its not free, if i understood this right..

now my questions.. 

1. How can i assure in Publisher,  our company font will be embedded in a new pdf file?

2 How can i Explore an existing pdf file, to see if the font is embedded ? 

Could someone explain this to me ?  I will have to produce some Templates for our company in the futur with some help (i hope so)  from our PR appartment.   But they dont know Publisher so far, so i need your knowledge..:$

thanks.

47 minutes ago, Tom Schülke said:

[ snipped here]

furthermore, i was told, we cant give the font away seperated from the pdf, because its not free, if i understood this right.. 

now my questions.. 

1. How can i assure in Publisher,  our company font will be embedded in a new pdf file?

Could someone explain this to me ?  I will have to produce some Templates for our company in the futur with some help (i hope so)  from our PR appartment.   But they dont know Publisher so far, so i need your knowledge..:$

thanks.

A PDF document carries information to allow the display that you want to be produced on another computer.

There are various options.

When it comes to fonts, you may opt (I think that it is possibly on by default in Publisher - I have just tried to find where one may choose the setting, but I cannot find it at present) to embed a font that you are using so that the font is thereby available when the display is produced. As a side-issue of that, if you do choose font embedding you may choose to subset the font so that only the characters actually used are embedded. So, for example, if you write a poem and it does not have some of the letters and digits and punctuation characters in it, then they will not be embedded in the PDF. For example, a poem might not have, say, B, M, Q, X, Z, 1.. 9 and ( and ) in it, so if subsetting is used, that part of the font will not be embedded. Thus, for a large font that has characters for all of the languages of Europe and you are, say, using only English in the document, the information for all of the special characters for the languages of Europe will not be placed into the PDF. However, some fonts have flags in them that do not allow that to take place: also, even if it can be technically done then the End User Licence Agreement for the font may not permit it, either totally or only if an extra fee is paid, or maybe allowed for sending a copy to an external printshop for making hardcopy prints but not for placing on the web.

Your questions:

1. I do not know at present. In Serif PagePlus it is on an option panel when exporting the PDf document. I have tried to find something similar is Affinity Publisher but I have not found it today. I may have seen it the other day but I cannot be sure as I have also been using PagePlus.

2. Open the PDF document in Adobe Reader (which may now be called Acrobat Reader). then

File

Properties ...

Then on the panel choose the Fonts tab.

There is then a list of fonts. It states so if they are embedded.

A PDF that I produced using Affinity Publisher on 5 January 2019 is attached for you to test if you wish.

Please note that the font is listed as Embedded.

When I tried the same test with a PDF that I had produced using PagePlus it listed the font as Embedded Subset.

William

poem_with_ligatures_and_alternates.pdf

Until December 2022, using a Lenovo laptop running Windows 10 in England. From January 2023, using an HP laptop running Windows 11 in England.

37 minutes ago, Tom Schülke said:

now my questions.. 

Hello @Tom Schülke,

@1: In 'Export' select PDF and click on 'More...'. At the bottom of the window you can select 'Embed fonts > All fonts' and you can additionally check 'Subset fonts'. This is how you embed fonts into a PDF.

@2: This depends on what you have at hand to check the exported PDF file. If you have Acrobat Pro you can open the PDF and select 'File > Properties > Fonts'. There you find a list of all embedded fonts. There are also free PDF viewers or editors that work in a similar way (e.g. look at PDF-X Change Editor).

I hope that helps :)
d.

Affinity Designer 1 & 2   |   Affinity Photo 1 & 2   |   Affinity Publisher 1 & 2
Affinity Designer 2 for iPad   |   Affinity Photo 2 for iPad   |   Affinity Publisher 2 for iPad

Windows 11 64-bit - Core i7 - 16GB - Intel HD Graphics 4600 & NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M
iPad pro 9.7" + Apple Pencil

4 minutes ago, dominik said:

@1: In 'Export' select PDF and click on 'More...'. At the bottom of the window you can select 'Embed fonts > All fonts' and you can additionally check 'Subset fonts'. This is how you embed fonts into a PDF.

Now I thought that that would be it, but when I looked it was not there. So when I have now just read your post and checked again it is still not there for me.

I wonder why.

William

Until December 2022, using a Lenovo laptop running Windows 10 in England. From January 2023, using an HP laptop running Windows 11 in England.

Dominique and William..

Both of you... have many thanks.. i tried it.. here are the screenshots..  as far as i see it worked as you have eyplained... 

I tried to go to the Export settings of the pdf export and in "More" i tried two export options..   i checked and unchecked the option... subfonts..

this was the produced pdf claimed the fonts one time as subset one timen not..

thanks ... 

Tom

Export-pdf-publisher.JPG

Eingebettete Schriften in der PDF.JPG

20 minutes ago, William Overington said:

Now I thought that that would be it, but when I looked it was not there. So when I have now just read your post and checked again it is still not there for me.

I wonder why.

Hi @William Overington,

are you by any chance on a Mac? Maybe this feature is not implemented there?

d.

Affinity Designer 1 & 2   |   Affinity Photo 1 & 2   |   Affinity Publisher 1 & 2
Affinity Designer 2 for iPad   |   Affinity Photo 2 for iPad   |   Affinity Publisher 2 for iPad

Windows 11 64-bit - Core i7 - 16GB - Intel HD Graphics 4600 & NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M

23 minutes ago, William Overington said:

No, I am using a Lenovo ideapad 510 running Windows 10.

I see that @MEB has solved the problem. Good to see.

It takes some time to get accustomed to a new user interface. APub offers many options everywhere.
This happened to me, too :)

d.

I am thinking of starting a thread to suggest to the Affinity Publisher programmers that it would be a good idea to make the Export Settings panel either taller or wider (or both) so that there is no scroll bar needed.

Are there any views on this please?

William