You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Affinity Designer Customer Beta (1.7.0.4)

On 1/15/2019 at 12:10 AM, Sean P said:

Hi Rivka

As you probably know the typography panel is populated according to the features supported by the current font, so the contents can vary.

Have you saved the document from 1.6.1 and opened in 1.7.0.4, does that give you the same results? Would you be able to attach the font (and document) that is giving you that behaviour please? I'm not seeing this using the fonts I've got on my machine.

Thanks

the font is a paid font that i use extensively and is the font selected on both examples i posted, it has a large library of alternates as shown in the 1.6.1 window. Since it is a paid font i likely can not share it with you, but here is a link to it if you are wanting to check it out. https://creativemarket.com/TobiasSaul/1810175-ROYAL-SIGNAGE-ORNAMENTS

the example i posted was from two documents each created in their own version, but i have now tested it creating it in 1.6.1 and opening it in 1.7.0.4 with the same outcome, as did another one of this persons fonts. However i did test it with a unrelated font that had some minor ligatures and it seem to be mostly the same. 

1321989925_ScreenShot2019-01-20at2_33_31PM.thumb.png.69927a9e67bd71e7a45b598ad8fb0a56.png1649935283_ScreenShot2019-01-20at2_35_07PM.thumb.png.f997a826cd02abc6d544b14b556e2624.png

2025904339_ScreenShot2019-01-20at2_47_31PM.thumb.png.e374df482efefe021a6b8bb3bdaf744f.png566988495_ScreenShot2019-01-20at2_48_29PM.thumb.png.5dc86803364b524ee45e5a302af5000e.png

So the question begs to be asked, what is different between font designers, that some of them don't work in 1.7 and other do? I'm going to send a note to the font designer as well, he is highly regarded and his fonts are top notch, he will want to look into this.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
43 minutes ago, Bonev said:

Guys, do we have to stay in beta for more than a year or you will release a final version of 1.7?!?

??

As far as I can see 1.7 has only been in beta for about 3 months now, not "more than a year".

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

let's not bog down to what and where. The fact is we are a year from any updates to the current stable version. It is really strange to have a beta and apparently people are fine using it but this is not ok in my opinion. The beta apparently can go on and on for another 3 months ...

Sense and essence of a beta is, to develop the app, find and fix bugs, listen to user comments and make the new version as good as possible. Especially, if a new application – Publisher – will join the suite, it is crucial to test the seamless cooperation of the apps extensively.

Nobody forced you to use the beta, so you don’t have „to stay in the beta“. If you are not ok with this – simply use the shipped version 1.6x and be lucky. Update cycles of 1, 1.5 years are nothing unusual in the software industry …

I have no issue with betas (not using it at all, and if I have to use it I am fine too) but I question the reasoning behind not releasing the version to the public and keep fixing the issues. The software will never be perfect so in your logic it will never be released. Your current one 1.6.1 that I use have issue so why did you released it?! (Your stones to your head...). What I am asking is to maybe segment your development in shorter periods and releasing more versions over period of time. Don’t get me wrong, I like your software a lot even though it is missing a lot. I still prefer moving away from adobe ;)  which I also have and will have until it starts on my Mac. 

Beta for 1.7 is not ready for prime time. This is for sure.
There is still the bug with stroke to outline conversion that no pro app should have and many other bugs.

It's true, Affinity should have more updates per year (bug fixes). Not like now, 1 update every 1-2 years.

On 2/14/2019 at 8:33 AM, mac_heibu said:

Bonev, when was the beta released? :)

He is probably referring to the internal company betas which have been in worked on for the last year.

On 2/14/2019 at 8:38 AM, Bonev said:

let's not bog down to what and where. The fact is we are a year from any updates to the current stable version. It is really strange to have a beta and apparently people are fine using it but this is not ok in my opinion. The beta apparently can go on and on for another 3 months ... 

I think when you are starting an entire suite from scratch (about 5 years ago) putting a year into developing a suite that has far tighter integration then the Adobe competition isn't strange at all. Not only has Serif developed a nice suite on computer but also has several apps on iPad which they are ahead of Adobe.

• 2 weeks later...

When 1.6 released, Designer and Photo came out at the same time. I wonder if all three applications of 1.7 are planned to be released together.

The website is still a work in progress. The "Comics" and "Shop" sections are not yet ready. Feel free to connect with me and let me know what you like or what can be improved. You can contact me here, on my contact page, YouTube channel, or Twitter account. Thanks and have a great day!

13 minutes ago, Bri-Toon said:

I wonder if all three applications of 1.7 are planned to be released together.

They almost need to be in order to maintain file compatibility among the apps.

If someone has the apps set to auto-update on their computer and only one of the two (or soon three) apps is available, then when that one updates it will no longer be possible to open its documents in the other app until that one is updated to match.

• Staff
11 minutes ago, fde101 said:

They almost need to be in order to maintain file compatibility among the apps.

Very few people are using this feature in earnest on the same file, but for those that do it's very important. At the very least Publisher (1.7) cannot be released before ADe 1.7 and APh 1.7 because of the personas that are included. So all at the same or a similar time (or APu afterwards) is logical yes.

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon

2 hours ago, Bri-Toon said:

When 1.6 released, Designer and Photo came out at the same time. I wonder if all three applications of 1.7 are planned to be released together.

I just don't see Publisher as something that needs to be rushed to market. I would rather see them focus on innovation for a while longer. Having a product be beta only means that everyone is pitching in with reporting bugs and trying to improve the feature set. I think that is a better stage for Publisher to be in not for it to be production software.

• Staff

A new beta build is available here 1.7.0.5

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon