You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

High Pass Filter

• Staff

I'm afraid I might be missing what you're saying. When you say 'greyed out' do you mean the ability to add the High Pass is greyed out with this image selected, or when you apply the High Pass, the image isn't greyed out what the Radius slider is to the left?

Hey Malcolm,
It is just a guess, maybe you have not set the blend mode to normal.

Cheers

Hochpassfilter.png

Affinity Photo 2.4:         Affinity Photo 1.10.6: 

Affinity Designer 2.4:    Affinity Designer 1.10.6:

Affinity Publisher 2.4:   Affinity Publisher 1.10.6:    

Windows 11 Pro  (Version 23H2 Build (22631.3447)

Filters > Sharpen > High Pass

Does not have the Blend Mode option

Layer > New Live Filter Layer > Sharpen > High Pass Filter  (Beta 1.7)

Has the option

Try the second option, are you still unable to "grey out" your images?

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.

2 hours ago, mlplatt said:

The High Pass window appears. Irrespective of where I move the radius slider the image does not go grey. It remains coloured and unaffected.  

I'm still convinced that another blend mode is used.

see video

also version 1.6.5 has this blend mode, at least in the Windows version.

High-Pass.png

Affinity Photo 2.4:         Affinity Photo 1.10.6: 

Affinity Designer 2.4:    Affinity Designer 1.10.6:

Affinity Publisher 2.4:   Affinity Publisher 1.10.6:    

Windows 11 Pro  (Version 23H2 Build (22631.3447)

• Staff

Hi mlplatt,

Could you do the following:

1. Provide a screenshot of your entire screen with the Layers Panel visible and the High Pass filter dialog
  2. When you do the screenshot, try the Live High Pass filter so we can see the blend mode
  3. Tell us what colour mode you're using from Document > Convert Format
  4. Try applying the High Pass filter to the image where it works in 1.6 and save it. Then open the same file in 1.7 and see what happens

I tried Carl123's suggestion and used Layer > New Live Filter Layer > Sharpen > High Pass Filter  (Beta 1.7). I had previously used the Filters > Sharpen > High Pass  path.

And everything worked as it was supposed to!  No adjustment need. Normal automatically selected. Perfect grey out. Immediately I closed the image then reopened it and tried the Filters > Sharpen > High Pass  path again. 

And this time that worked also.

To check I exited the programme, restarted and tried Filters > Sharpen > High Pass  path yet again. Again it worked. I have no explanation for this. I must have tried twenty times before and each time it failed and now seemingly it works.

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.