You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Affinity affiliate scheme

7 hours ago, KC Honie said:

I said that!!!

An affiliate program is nothing more than a huckster program.

Of course all my opinions, YMMV...

Something that might help mitigate that is if the affiliate program only provided Affinity Store credits which could only be used on digital items (i.e. not the books). There is probably not a whole lot of appeal in buying brush packs or upgrades to applications they don't like.

Okay. Second attempt to "just simply" turn off the follow topic to stop following this thread. I don't care anymore. And it is obviously a waste of time. No one here will convince anyone to make an affiliate program to become reality. There is nothing you can say or do. Would like to no longer receive updates or opinions or arguments or discussion on this topic. Slider the slider a second time. 

9 hours ago, jamesgangcreative said:

Okay. Second attempt to "just simply" turn off the follow topic to stop following this thread. I don't care anymore. And it is obviously a waste of time. No one here will convince anyone to make an affiliate program to become reality. There is nothing you can say or do. Would like to no longer receive updates or opinions or arguments or discussion on this topic. Slider the slider a second time. 

In case it didn't work this time either, just click the Following button at the top of the topic (or bottom, on mobile devices) and then click Unfollow.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

• 1 month later...

I'd appreciate an affiliate program as well as I work in a print shop and EVERYONE that comes in with stuff to print has done it in Canva and have no idea about paper sizes, bleeds etc. We're launching a blog with our new site and I would LOVE to promote Affinity software and have tutorials on it.

I know we can (and will) still do that regardless but an affiliate program would be nice. :)

If you want Affinity to gain widespread adoption and convert Adobe users, you'll need an affiliate marketing program. It encourages your users to make videos demoing and promoting Affinity products. You could set one up in minutes using a number of affiliate marketing apps. It's not that hard. It almost seems like a company would have to make a conscious effort AGAINST affiliate programs these days.

Is there a reason Affinity doesn't want to incentivize promotion of their software? Maybe they are trying to keep it a secret?

46 minutes ago, Devin the Developer said:

If you want Affinity to gain widespread adoption and convert Adobe users, you'll need an affiliate marketing program. It encourages your users to make videos demoing and promoting Affinity products. You could set one up in minutes using a number of affiliate marketing apps. It's not that hard. It almost seems like a company would have to make a conscious effort AGAINST affiliate programs these days.

Is there a reason Affinity doesn't want to incentivize promotion of their software? Maybe they are trying to keep it a secret?

There are quite a number of us out here who view affiliate programs as nothing more than a scam.  I personally will not purchase a product or service through an affiliate.  An affiliate program eventually does nothing more than cost the consumer more money. 

Affinity products are very widely known and do not need a bunch of carnival barkers hawking the products…

iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, 2017) Mac OS 13 | 4.2 GHz Quad Core Intel-Core i7 | 64GB Ram | Radeon Pro 580 8 GB

Adobe Photography (Lightroom and Photoshop) | Affinity Designer 2 | Affinity Photo 2 | Affinity Publisher 2 | Capture One Pro (for now) | Topaz Labs Photography Suite | Fast Raw Viewer | NeoFinder

3 minutes ago, KC Honie said:

Affinity products are very widely known and do not need a bunch of carnival barkers hawking the products…

Why is it when people can't rationally and logically discuss things, they resort to name-calling?? Affiliate marketing is a form of marketing/advertising. So, all marketers are "carnival barkers?" Marketing is a huge factor in the success of products these days.

@KC Honie If I'm going out of my way to write, shoot, act, and edit a youtube video promoting a product I believe in, it would be nice to be paid for my time. Ideally, this would be in the form of a small percentage for new customers I send to affinity. "Hey, like the demo? Click the link and support the channel." It's fair, honest, sincere, and in no way like a "carnival barker".  Youtube ad revenue is a joke these days, and it's not worth the time creating content there for many without an outside incentive.

Does affiliate marketing raise prices? Probably. But, you know what... so does every single form of marketing out there from online ads to sky writing. It's no secret companies have to market their wares. Generally, they set aside 10% of their revenue for this anyway. Unless, you've got solid evidence that affiliate revenue produces lower return on investment than the endless other methods, I think we can set your theory aside. I can't think of any large company not using affiliate programs to be honest.

On 7/5/2021 at 10:48 PM, Devin the Developer said:

@KC Honie If I'm going out of my way to write, shoot, act, and edit a youtube video promoting a product I believe in, it would be nice to be paid for my time. 

Why do you think consumers prefer and trust independent reviewers to paid for reviewers?

Do you believe that review incentivisation exists?

8 hours ago, Devin the Developer said:

@KC Honie If I'm going out of my way to write, shoot, act, and edit a youtube video promoting a product I believe in, it would be nice to be paid for my time. Ideally, this would be in the form of a small percentage for new customers I send to affinity. "Hey, like the demo? Click the link and support the channel." It's fair, honest, sincere, and in no way like a "carnival barker".  Youtube ad revenue is a joke these days, and it's not worth the time creating content there for many without an outside incentive.

Does affiliate marketing raise prices? Probably. But, you know what... so does every single form of marketing out there from online ads to sky writing. It's no secret companies have to market their wares. Generally, they set aside 10% of their revenue for this anyway. Unless, you've got solid evidence that affiliate revenue produces lower return on investment than the endless other methods, I think we can set your theory aside. I can't think of any large company not using affiliate programs to be honest.

First of all you meant hypothesis not theory.  But regardless it is not a "theory", it is marketing 101...

I honestly don't care if you go out of your way to to write, shoot, act, and edit a youtube video, and no you shouldn't get paid for your time when someone buys the product.  It is called being a shill and it is distasteful and in many cases dishonest.

iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, 2017) Mac OS 13 | 4.2 GHz Quad Core Intel-Core i7 | 64GB Ram | Radeon Pro 580 8 GB

Adobe Photography (Lightroom and Photoshop) | Affinity Designer 2 | Affinity Photo 2 | Affinity Publisher 2 | Capture One Pro (for now) | Topaz Labs Photography Suite | Fast Raw Viewer | NeoFinder

5 hours ago, KC Honie said:

I honestly don't care if you go out of your way to to write, shoot, act, and edit a youtube video, and no you shouldn't get paid for your time when someone buys the product.  It is called being a shill and it is distasteful and in many cases dishonest.

You're one of the few people who don't think people's time has value. Do you sell products yourself? I do. I haven't had a single person volunteer their time to promote my products for free. However, I have paid people to do so. Their time is valuable. I don't expect them to spend their time promoting my products for nothing.

It's up to Affinity whether they offer an affiliate program, so why don't you just drop the virtue-signaling? People should be able to request one without you calling them names and questioning their motives. Affiliate marketing is an effective means of advertising. Thousands or probably millions of products are marketed that way.

17 hours ago, vwatson said:

So, all marketers are "carnival barkers?"

Yes...  Have you actually done marketing?  Real marketing?

2 hours ago, vwatson said:

You're one of the few people who don't think people's time has value. Do you sell products yourself? I do. I haven't had a single person volunteer their time to promote my products for free. However, I have paid people to do so. Their time is valuable. I don't expect them to spend their time promoting my products for nothing.

It's up to Affinity whether they offer an affiliate program, so why don't you just drop the virtue-signaling? People should be able to request one without you calling them names and questioning their motives. Affiliate marketing is an effective means of advertising. Thousands or probably millions of products are marketed that way.

I have called no one a name, I simply articulated here a label often times used for this type of marketing.  It is one level below MLM.  Affiliate marketers will switch brands in an instant, it happens all the time.  Why would anybody care what one of them had to say?  Just like you pay no attention to a car salesman.

Of course I think time is extraordinarily valuable and yes I have sold high end systems in the past, plus a long history of business development and marketing.  While this type of marketing is effective on some people, it also has a nasty habit of alienating customers and potential customers.  It is viewed as dishonest by a larger than expected percentage of customers. 

Virtue signaling 😆  🤣

@KC Honie First. Obviously, you don't understand what multi-level marketing is. No one here is advocating for pyramid schemes. Second, I'm assuming you're an adult, so I can't believe I'm the one who has to tell you this: Have a look around your home. Almost everything you own had some sort of affiliation, referral fee, or markup attached to the price you paid for that item beyond the cost of manufacturing. Did you really believe your local grocery store actually grows every item they sell you? Resellers and producers strike deals because they are mutually beneficial, not because one person does or does not think "they're all shills myaaaan." 🤣

You have every right to disagree with very standard marketing practices. Thank you for your colorful opinion. I'm just very happy you don't have final say over anything at all.

14 minutes ago, Devin the Developer said:

@KC Honie First. Obviously, you don't understand what multi-level marketing is. No one here is advocating for pyramid schemes. Second, I'm assuming you're an adult, so I can't believe I'm the one who has to tell you this: Have a look around your home. Almost everything you own had some sort of affiliation, referral fee, or markup attached to the price you paid for that item beyond the cost of manufacturing. Did you really believe your local grocery store actually grows every item they sell you? Resellers and producers strike deals because they are mutually beneficial, not because one person does or does not think "they're all shills myaaaan." 🤣

You have every right to disagree with very standard marketing practices. Thank you for your colorful opinion. I'm just very happy you don't have final say over anything at all.

I was not suggesting that affiliate marketing was similar to MLM, i was just saying on the sleazy scale it was one step below MLM.

I marketed for years and I understand intimately how it works.  I am sorry that you don't 🤣

There is a huge difference in sleazy marketing and ethical marketing...  I hope that Serif stays the ethical course...

• Staff

This argument will not influence Serif, and it should calm down and stop using derogatory terms.

FYI. Some lurkers and others here may find this useful.

If you use the desktop version and hover over any users avatar (not staff) you should find an option "ignore user" and that users posts will not appear in your feed or send you notifications if they post. Alternatively (and on the mobile version) you can go here and add any user you choose.

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon

4 minutes ago, Patrick Connor said:

This argument will not influence Serif, and it should calm down and stop using derogatory terms.

FYI. Some lurkers and others here may find this useful.

If you use the desktop version and hover over any users avatar (not staff) you should find an option "ignore user" and that users posts will not appear in your feed or send you notifications if they post. Alternatively (and on the mobile version) you can go here and add any user you choose.

The terms I have used are routinely used in graduated level marketing classes, they are used to describe the various forms of predatory marketing and in the long term how bad they actually are for a company.

But if you would prefer that we didn't discuss real world topics, we can all just sing Kumbaya...

17 hours ago, vwatson said:

Do you sell products yourself? I do. I haven't had a single person volunteer their time to promote my products for free. However, I have paid people to do so. Their time is valuable. I don't expect them to spend their time promoting my products for nothing.

Yes we do. 

We have lots of testimonials and referral marketing is our most successful method of generating new customers.

I think, if I am positive to something (as I am to Affinity), I recommend it to other people without being paid for it or getting fancy benefits - because I am positive to it. If I get paid for recommending it, I lose my credibility. "Affiliate" sounds a little bit like "corruption" to me.

6 hours ago, Catshill said:

We have lots of testimonials and referral marketing is our most successful method of generating new customers.

Big difference between a testimony or word of mouth referral and actively marketing a product.

• Staff

To be fair we have taken a different approach. When lock down happened Serif committed as part of  ”We want to help" that all our annual commissioning budget would go to 100 freelance creatives to use our application to make content.

On 3/20/2020 at 2:00 PM, Ash said:

A pledge to engage more than 100 freelance creatives for work, spending the equivalent of our annual commissioning budget in the next three months (more details of this will be announced next week).

Was their time/work paid for? Yes of course, and we were very up front about it. Do we expect them to endorse our software going forward? No, that's up to them. Some continue to use it some don't. The only stipulation was that the commission was made using our software.

https://affinityspotlight.com/articles/tag/100-days-100-commissions/

That's a healthy balance I think. Their integrity is as important as ours. I am not sure this is as black and white to suggest it's "always right" or "always wrong".

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon

I believe this all started with a simple inquiry as to whether Serif/Affinity offered an affiliate program. At least, that was how I got into this. I'd appreciate one, but am in no way demanding one.

It's totally up to Affinity whether they use affiliate marketing or not.

What I object to is those who have questioned the integrity of affiliate marketers.

A compromise between hawkers and referrals would be to pay in Affinity Store credits that could be used for digital only purchases. That would 1. cut down on the physical expenses to Affinity, and 2. prevent referrals from being big business to random strangers while also rewarding people who actively want to use the software.

• 2 months later...

I came here hoping to get info about a Serif affiliate program, too. I'm surprised to see people compare affiliate marketing to selling used cars. I don't find anything sleazy about it at all. Unless we're talking apples and oranges? In my case, I'm starting a YouTube channel where I talk about my 28 year career as a pixel slinger. I plan to cover all  sorts of subjects, including software. When I talk about software or other products that I love, I'll put a link to them in the show notes. If someone clicks the link from my notes and buys the product, I get a small commission. That's the way it works with Amazon, anyway. I only intend to link to products I've actually used, and liked, and I'm not trying to be a spokesman for one brand or another. I don't see anything sleazy about that. I'm just being honest with my viewers.