Jump to content

Recommended Posts

On 4/30/2020 at 6:01 PM, pixelstuff said:

That wording sounds like you want to, but can't.

Yes, seems very strange. I recommend software I like and know about. I don't need anything in return to help others in making a software decision if they ask me. I will give my honest opinion on pros and cons, as I do on this forum. Seems to just be the "right" thing to do. Not sure where this culture came of wanting to be rewarded for recommending software. If anything I would think less of that recommendation if I knew they were getting something out of it. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, wonderings said:

Yes, seems very strange. I recommend software I like and know about. I don't need anything in return to help others in making a software decision if they ask me. I will give my honest opinion on pros and cons, as I do on this forum. Seems to just be the "right" thing to do. Not sure where this culture came of wanting to be rewarded for recommending software. If anything I would think less of that recommendation if I knew they were getting something out of it. 

Sorry for the confusion, I worded that post wrong, and I can't edit it or delete it or rephrase what I was trying to say.  What I was trying to say was that my mom and I use Affinity, we recommend it to creatives and freelancers that we know, and would like it if we could sign up for an affiliate program. I probably didn't take the time to think about how my comment would come across when I was writing it.

Maybe it's because I'm 17, or the fact that I was excited that something like this could be possible. In my eyes an affiliate is kind of the same as an ambassador, and the thought of signing up to become an "Affiliate of Affinity" sounded quite nice.

I'm sorry once again for my choice of words in my previous comment.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Jayden Brand said:

Sorry for the confusion, I worded that post wrong, and I can't edit it or delete it or rephrase what I was trying to say.  What I was trying to say was that my mom and I use Affinity, we recommend it to creatives and freelancers that we know, and would like it if we could sign up for an affiliate program. I probably didn't take the time to think about how my comment would come across when I was writing it.

Maybe it's because I'm 17, or the fact that I was excited that something like this could be possible. In my eyes an affiliate is kind of the same as an ambassador, and the thought of signing up to become an "Affiliate of Affinity" sounded quite nice.

I'm sorry once again for my choice of words in my previous comment.

Choice of words is not an issue, the meaning is still the same. It is a modern thing, wanting to be rewarded for helping someone out by recommending software. Where would that end? If I can get someone to buy a certain brand of bacon should I be getting a cut? I get where you are coming from looking at youtubers who get paid to promote products on their channels. Who would not want to get paid for it? I just think asking for it rather then being offered it seems low to me.

Also not to be rude, but you are 17. Maybe you are a rare case, but I am guessing most 17 year olds do not have a whole lot of pro experience with Affinity, or Adobe, or any other pro app. Yes there will be exceptions but I doubt I would make any purchasing decisions based on someone your age. Again not trying to offend you. I am going to look for pro's to see what they are using and then make my own judgements.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, wonderings said:

Not sure where this culture came of wanting to be rewarded for recommending software.

Tell that to the thousands/millions of people using affiliate marketing to promote products. It's a viable and actually low cost means of advertising. Why are you trying to make it sound immoral? :(

No one is stopping anyone from freely using word of mouth to recommend the Affinity products. I actually do that quite often. But, I still think an affiliate program would be nice. There's no difference in Affinity running an X% off discount code vs giving that same X% to an affiliate marketer.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, vwatson said:

Tell that to the thousands/millions of people using affiliate marketing to promote products. It's a viable and actually low cost means of advertising. Why are you trying to make it sound immoral? :(

No one is stopping anyone from freely using word of mouth to recommend the Affinity products. I actually do that quite often. But, I still think an affiliate program would be nice. There's no difference in Affinity running an X% off discount code vs giving that same X% to an affiliate marketer.

I would not say it is immoral, but the idea that you need to be paid to tell recommend a product you really like seems low to me. I am not a social media person, the closest thing I use to social media is forums like these for products I like and freely promote to those who are looking for software that is in my wheel house. I know that no one is stopping what I am talking about, but when people are asking for money to promote their product it rubs me the wrong way for some reason. Just my opinion, you obviously do not agree with it and that is ok. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, wonderings said:

I would not say it is immoral, but the idea that you need to be paid to tell recommend a product you really like seems low to me. I am not a social media person, the closest thing I use to social media is forums like these for products I like and freely promote to those who are looking for software that is in my wheel house. I know that no one is stopping what I am talking about, but when people are asking for money to promote their product it rubs me the wrong way for some reason. Just my opinion, you obviously do not agree with it and that is ok. 

Your phrasing indicates a sense of moral superiority. And, it seems a slap-down that a 17-year-old can't have enough graphics skills to recommend software. :( 

Seems to just be the "right" thing to do (and seems "low" to me)

We should be able to request an affiliate program without being labelled as right or wrong. Affiliate programs are all over the internet. There's nothing "wrong" about them. Ultimately, it's Serif's decision whether or not to use them. I'll continue to recommend the products whether there's ever an affiliate option. It would just be nice to put a few extra pennies in my pocket for doing so.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, vwatson said:

Your phrasing indicates a sense of moral superiority. And, it seems a slap-down that a 17-year-old can't have enough graphics skills to recommend software. :( 

Seems to just be the "right" thing to do (and seems "low" to me)

We should be able to request an affiliate program without being labelled as right or wrong. Affiliate programs are all over the internet. There's nothing "wrong" about them. Ultimately, it's Serif's decision whether or not to use them. I'll continue to recommend the products whether there's ever an affiliate option. It would just be nice to put a few extra pennies in my pocket for doing so.

I stand by my opinion. I was not slapping down a 17 year old and I clearly stated there were exceptions, but the majority would not be people I would take reviews from due to lack of pro experience. There is a different when talking to people who have 20 years experience and make their living with their software and those who are more hobbyists. That is reality.

You can freely request the affiliate program, but you are on a forum and not everyone is going to agree with you. We have heard from Serif on this thread regarding this matter and their decision. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, wonderings said:

I stand by my opinion. I was not slapping down a 17 year old and I clearly stated there were exceptions, but the majority would not be people I would take reviews from due to lack of pro experience. There is a different when talking to people who have 20 years experience and make their living with their software and those who are more hobbyists. That is reality.

You can freely request the affiliate program, but you are on a forum and not everyone is going to agree with you. We have heard from Serif on this thread regarding this matter and their decision. 

And I've met some pros that were stuck in their ways and didn't like better ways of doing things if it meant they had to learn something new. So it can go both ways.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/29/2020 at 9:18 PM, Daniel Tanguay said:

I am arguing right now for Affinity with an Adobe die hard on Facebook.
10K+ followers posts on the topic and NO affiliate link. Common marketing!

We need to make you guys enough money so we can get Serif Web Plus to Affinity Web Weaver
(It's the new bootstrap web design software you guys need to make.)
🙂

"Adobe die hard"? You mean paid Adobe troll??

Who defends Adobe's subscription model...

 

I would like to see Affinity Affiliate Scheme, but I don't think it's mandatory... but It would be nice for people who likes to see Affinity replace Adobe and get small pocket money for it..

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Are the brush packs owned by Serif or do they pay royalties to the designer?

If Serif owns the complete rights to them, one thing they might could do is offer a free brush/font/template pack or something similar after every 5 or so referrals. It would feel like you are getting something, but also wouldn't cost Serif too much in the way of lost revenue.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Two hands up on supporting an affiliate program here. 

Affinity photo has allowed people I love to have a method for creative expression that they are now bringing to the world. The cost of Adobe products was prohibitive of this before and we are incredible grateful. My loved one's platform is growing and I want to promote Affinity as the traffic grows. I believe many who follow his work are in the same boat and need an affordable alternative like Affinity. I will promote Affinity without an affiliate program but having one would help out a ton. 

Just one more voice in support of the affiliate program. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/8/2020 at 12:19 PM, Deno said:

"Adobe die hard"? You mean paid Adobe troll??

Who defends Adobe's subscription model...

 

I would like to see Affinity Affiliate Scheme, but I don't think it's mandatory... but It would be nice for people who likes to see Affinity replace Adobe and get small pocket money for it..

Despite what many think the subscription model is not all bad and has done some very good things for the industry. The majority of design houses and print shops are all now using the same versions of software. There is rarely compatibility issues unless someone is still holding on to CS6.  Currently Affinity is no replacement for Adobe Indesign, Illustrator or Photoshop for many people who use the software professionally.  While I do not like being forced into a subscription model and did my own complaining about it on forums at the beginning, I have no settled into it and find the cost not all that prohibitive as it is making money. Again not worrying about versions, compatibility, when to upgrade. In the past I would attempt to go every other version. This never worked as I would eventually get files from a good client that would require the latest which would then in turn have me upgrade to the latest at the time. The price looks expensive if you are a home user hobbiest but if you are actually making a living with this type of software it is not all that bad. If I did not my Adobe license that works on 2 computers for when I wanted to do something on my own at home I would definitely go the Affinity route as the simple stuff I do there could be handled by the software. For pro work Affinity has a ways to go still. Amazing software for an amazing price, but not something most people could ditch Adobe for... yet!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Nothing wrong with an affiliate program morally or otherwise. I'd love to actively promote it but why do it for free? Isn't my time worth anything?

So please create one. 

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/29/2020 at 10:34 AM, wonderings said:

Despite what many think the subscription model is not all bad and has done some very good things for the industry. The majority of design houses and print shops are all now using the same versions of software. There is rarely compatibility issues unless someone is still holding on to CS6.  Currently Affinity is no replacement for Adobe Indesign, Illustrator or Photoshop for many people who use the software professionally.  While I do not like being forced into a subscription model and did my own complaining about it on forums at the beginning, I have no settled into it and find the cost not all that prohibitive as it is making money. Again not worrying about versions, compatibility, when to upgrade. In the past I would attempt to go every other version. This never worked as I would eventually get files from a good client that would require the latest which would then in turn have me upgrade to the latest at the time. The price looks expensive if you are a home user hobbiest but if you are actually making a living with this type of software it is not all that bad. If I did not my Adobe license that works on 2 computers for when I wanted to do something on my own at home I would definitely go the Affinity route as the simple stuff I do there could be handled by the software. For pro work Affinity has a ways to go still. Amazing software for an amazing price, but not something most people could ditch Adobe for... yet!

Yeah. I think the hobbyist market probably took the bigger hit from Adobe's subscription move.

So for me (as a hobbyist who occasionally did something for hire as a favor) two things happened.

  1. I stopped buying the CS Master Collection every other year and
  2. I stopped telling budding photographers to just save up and learn Photoshop since it's the best. Instead I usually recommend something else as a starting point (currently Affinity products).

It would be interesting to know how many people are like me.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/18/2020 at 3:40 PM, pixelstuff said:

Yeah. I think the hobbyist market probably took the bigger hit from Adobe's subscription move.

So for me (as a hobbyist who occasionally did something for hire as a favor) two things happened.

  1. I stopped buying the CS Master Collection every other year and
  2. I stopped telling budding photographers to just save up and learn Photoshop since it's the best. Instead I usually recommend something else as a starting point (currently Affinity products).

It would be interesting to know how many people are like me.

I would be curious as well. I am sure there are a bunch of photographers who do family portraits and things like which can be sporadic and not a full time thing, just something to bring in a little extra cash. My sister in law is one of those, she has a great eye and takes great pictures but does not do enough to warrant a subscription. She has CS6 and is not upgrading anytime soon, but if she asked me I would recommend her checking out Affinity Photo as it is very affordable. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Is there any particular official reason WHY there is no affiliate program? Maybe we’d all stop asking for it if we knew that? 
i personally recommend all three programs all the time anyway, but it would be nice to earn a little on the side :-)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

After posting this video on YouTube.
Many people ask me for the software I use.
I think this will a great opportunity to enter an Affiliate program.
Can someone help me with the Affiliate program of Affinity?

My YouTube
 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, 4GArt said:

Can someone help me with the Affiliate program of Affinity?

Welcome to the Serif Affinity forums.

As noted above, there is no Affiliate program.


-- Walt

Windows 10 Home, version 2004 (19041.388),
   Desktop: 16GB memory, Intel Core i7-6700K @ 4.00GHz, GeForce GTX 970
   Laptop:  8GB memory, Intel Core i7-3625QM @ 2.30GHz, Intel HD Graphics 4000 or NVIDIA GeForce GT 630M
Affinity Photo 1.8.5.703 and 1.9.0.911 Beta   / Affinity Designer 1.8.5.703 and 1.9.0.911 Beta  / Affinity Publisher 1.8.5.703 and 1.9.0.911 Beta.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I often recommend the Affinity applications when I am on forums and Facebook groups.

My recommendations would be tarnished if I was recompensed for doing that. Amazon reviews anyone?

At the Serif price point I’m happy with a warm glow from helping someone else. That is all the payment I need.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Catshill said:

I often recommend the Affinity applications when I am on forums and Facebook groups.

My recommendations would be tarnished if I was recompensed for doing that. Amazon reviews anyone?

At the Serif price point I’m happy with a warm glow from helping someone else. That is all the payment I need.

And that actually might be the biggest argument for Serif to not have an affiliate program. Recommendations that do happen will appear more honest and genuine.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/27/2020 at 2:57 PM, Patrick Connor said:

they certainly do and it is considerable

Why I buy direct when I can...

and 

I will not purchase through an affiliate program PERIOD!!!


iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, 2017) Mac OS 10.15.5 | 4.2 GHz Quad Core Intel-Core i7 | 48 GB 2400 MHz DDR4 Ram | Radeon Pro 580 8 GB

Affinity Designer 1.8.4 | Affinity Photo 1.8.4 | Affinity Publisher 1.8.4 | Capture One 20 Pro | Fast Raw Viewer | NeoFinder

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My two cents ... I too would love to see Serif offer an affiliate program but when you think about it from a business standpoint it might be difficult to do that without changing the present model.  How much are you willing to pay for major upgrades?  Some of us might say, "the discounted sale price that Serif offers every year on the product", some might say, "nothing because that is why I left Adobe".  I was a hard-core Abode user for years.  Cloud everything ... money in, money out to Adobe and then more money out to Adobe.  As much as I would like an affiliate program (AP) with Serif, what could they truly offer under the present model?  Price of the application? Wait ... if they do that then they make no money on the sale of the product because we buy once and upgrade free for life.  I adopted the entire line of Serif products in early 2018 and haven't looked back.  I locked myself up for a weekend with Affinity Photo to start and learned it inside and out.  Along the way, I have learned even more tricks outside of the core design use.  Like Photoshop, you can use Affinity to develop outside of the box.  I have done that same process with all of the other applications as well.  I have never really had a need to come to the forum for app advice because of the way I go about learning it but I was brought here for the first time with a link talking about an affiliate program.  Those of us who want the AP are not necessarily "newbies", many of us are just the new realm of business and content creators who want to maximize our earning potential.  It doesn't mean that we want recommend or use the Serif products because when a product is good ... you use it.  When a product is great ... you use it and tell everyone you know about it.  Serif can be happy with either of those to survive in a market that has a Gorilla application pack that is so big their flagship application has become a verb.  As a creator and a long-time user (in software years anyway) of Serif products, I am content to "Photo it", "Designer it" and "Publisher it", not get paid from Serif to do it and still suggest it to people.  Serif will keep producing, making it better and better to compete and sometimes even surpass the Gorilla and I will keep downloading my free upgrades.

That being said ... SERIF ... if you start charging us for major upgrades ... better have that Affiliate Program in play ... lol!  Cheers!

"Tech is a Grind!  Keep It Simple!"

Ken

Edited by KTechGrind

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Please note the Annual Company Closure section in the Terms of Use. These are the Terms of Use you will be asked to agree to if you join the forum. | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.