You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Hello,

This is my first post however I have been reading all the questions and getting great info on this forum. The one thing I am having trouble finding is more vector brushes specifically a few dry brush strokes. I’ve watched a couple tutorial on how to make brushes but am having trouble making a good dry brush stroke. 

My question is does anyone know where I can find some or does anyone have a couple to share. 

Thanks for any help or direction you can give. 

I think there is some confusion as to what the Affinity Designer vector brushes are.

They are vector brushes if the shape is simple and you can create a vector brush called a solid brush, these are very basic and is effectively a stroke and that stroke can be expanded to create a curve shape, anything else is a rasterised image on a vector curve, so you can adjust the curve but not the brush shape itself.

You cannot create a true vector brush with a pattern or texture, in order to create a brush you have to export whatever shape you drew to a raster format such as a PNG file, you cannot create a brush from an SVG vector file.

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  
B| (Please refrain from licking the screen while using this forum)

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

I did know that, maybe I worded this incorrectly. I am looking for more brushes to use in the vector persona as they are limited and even the ones in the pixel persona are limited as well. I can export those all day as PNG files but I’m still looking for one that resembles a dry brush look. 

Have you looked through the Resources forum? Various users have made their brushes available there, and perhaps some will provide what you're looking for.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

• 9 months later...
On 1/7/2019 at 11:40 PM, firstdefence said:

I think there is some confusion as to what the Affinity Designer vector brushes are.

They are vector brushes if the shape is simple and you can create a vector brush called a solid brush, these are very basic and is effectively a stroke and that stroke can be expanded to create a curve shape, anything else is a rasterised image on a vector curve, so you can adjust the curve but not the brush shape itself.

You cannot create a true vector brush with a pattern or texture, in order to create a brush you have to export whatever shape you drew to a raster format such as a PNG file, you cannot create a brush from an SVG vector file.

I wish this was a future feature. SVG to Vector brush that is expandable.

11 hours ago, AlexPolicastro said:

I wish this was a future feature. SVG to Vector brush that is expandable.

I agree but you should also be able to create a brush from within Affinity using a selection, such as "Create vector brush from selection" it's very tedious to have to keep exporting png files only to bring them back in, it seems a wholly unnecessary workflow.

You really can't call a brush a vector brush, unless all of it's attributes are vector, so the brush pattern is vector and it is applied to a curve/path, at best it should be called a vector-raster hybrid brush.

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  
B| (Please refrain from licking the screen while using this forum)

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

4 hours ago, firstdefence said:

You really can't call a brush a vector brush, unless all of it's attributes are vector, so the brush pattern is vector and it is applied to a curve/path, at best it should be called a vector-raster hybrid brush.

Maybe just call it a "path brush" or something like that?

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7