kian

AF Flood select tool, Windows high DPI setting bugs

Two things I've noticed.

1. When using the flood select tool (magic wand), after the selection I tried to pan the image by holding Space and drag the mouse, the first drag works, after that any drag while still holding Space will be registered as a new flood select.

2. I have a workaround to this issue which I'll mention below. In Windows 10, tested both in 1083 and 1809 versions, when display (2560x1440) scaling is set to 125%, images opened in AP is blurred compared to MS Paint, PS, Xnview, etc. like AP is rendering a low res photo and scaling it up, however the displayed images are actually not enlarged. The issue does NOT occur at 150% or 200% scaling settings.

I've found that only if I set the compatibility setting like this screenshot suggests (a borrowed image) does AP show correctly rendered images at 125% scaling. This is the only compatibility setting I've found that works. The "High DPI scaling override" settings below doesn't solve the blur.

EDIT: the "fix" doesn't work

dpi.png.400d05a3dcd52f22dcb58e74c092b5a4.png

Useful fix. :5_smiley:

Microsoft Windows 10 Home (Build 17134)
Intel Core i5-4670K CPU @ 3.40Ghz
16GB of RAM
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 950 (2 displays connected @ 1x1080p; 1x4K)
WACOM Intuos4 Large

18 minutes ago, debraspicher said:

Useful fix. :5_smiley:

Could you also confirm this? It's weird it only happens at 125% scaling and I've seen no other people mentioning this issue.

I can reproduce #1, but not #2... my main display is 4K, but I have a 1080P running @ 100%.

I haven't had that specific bug, but I've reported bugs in the past related to DPI changes. I never thought to try the setting you tried, but I lived with it since most were intermittent. It's especially finnicky with a multi-monitor setup (with different DPI scales) and using Views, it was particularly inaccurate/buggy. For example, views not showing up correctly relative to their zoom level and screen DPI. I think at some point I did have a problem with that specific DPI. I will have to check it again when I've rebooted Windows /w 125% setting. That might matter for testing.

16GB of RAM
WACOM Intuos4 Large

Thanks for trying.

I saw your other post about Wacom lag with affinity photo, a test with my intous 490 suggests no such problem with the latest driver, hope that helps.

Hi Kian,

The first issue is known issue that development has fixed for the upcoming 1.7 release. With your second issue, could you post a screenshot showing how the blur looks for you please?

Thanks!

23 minutes ago, Sean P said:

Hi Kian,

The first issue is known issue that development has fixed for the upcoming 1.7 release. With your second issue, could you post a screenshot showing how the blur looks for you please?

Thanks!

Hi Sean

I thought I fixed it yesterday, however as you can see when compared to the same photo opened in MS Paint, the issue is still there.

I don't know if you can see the original screenshot PNG, the inserted is downsized I don't know how to insert full size image.

I'm sure MS Paint, as well as Xnview don't sharpen the image like the Windows 10 Photo app does, so it's clearly something wrong with AF.blur.thumb.png.474ef198ddd38512f22d5197d5a0c63d.png

The one below is taken at 100% scaling, no blur issue.

100.thumb.png.6b9161a855f91af03d6ccc6c3c5800d2.png

Thanks for the screenshot - clicking the image shows it at full size, however would you be able to send a copy of the JPG to our internal dropbox using the link below please? It'd be nice to try this on my side! It certainly does look like there is some sharpening going on in MS Paint but as far as I know it shouldn't be (I do know that the separate Photos app on W10, does sharpen though).

https://www.dropbox.com/request/PX7z7W0WtqONZimBCNn4

Hi Sean

I'm uploading that file so that you can review it. This photo does show some artifacts I probably have left the sharpening setting on default in CaptureOne, hence the over-sharpened look in MS Paint.

6 minutes ago, Sean P said:

Thanks for the screenshot - clicking the image shows it at full size, however would you be able to send a copy of the JPG to our internal dropbox using the link below please? It'd be nice to try this on my side! It certainly does look like there is some sharpening going on in MS Paint but as far as I know it shouldn't be (I do know that the separate Photos app on W10, does sharpen though).

https://www.dropbox.com/request/PX7z7W0WtqONZimBCNn4

Thanks for the file! I've reproduced it here and will get it reported to development. As a workaround going into Preferences > Performance > View Quality and setting that to Nearest Neighbour should stop the resampling that you are seeing. It might also be best to reset your original workaround to what it was set to originally to ensure no other scaling is being done.

Thanks!

I've noticed this blur issue @ 150% (my current DPI) when I was making changes to an image after working in RAW. I had to change that setting as well to make it look cleaner. It is particularly noticeable at awkward zooms, especially when working with large files, like 24MP images.

16GB of RAM
WACOM Intuos4 Large

3 hours ago, debraspicher said:

I've noticed this blur issue @ 150% (my current DPI) when I was making changes to an image after working in RAW. I had to change that setting as well to make it look cleaner. It is particularly noticeable at awkward zooms, especially when working with large files, like 24MP images.

Thanks for trying. Sean's fix works, hope we'll see a real fix in 1.7.