You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

The cog tool in Affinity Designer has only 12 teeth and no way to increase it at it is in page plus x9. It will be good to add the opportunity to reduce the teeth or increase it in addition to the other possibilities.  Thanks

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  
B| (Please refrain from licking the screen while using this forum)

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

6 hours ago, Mark Oehlschlager said:

The cog tool shape can be dialed up to 48 teeth and beyond.

I got curious about how far 'beyond' it would go. On my old & weak iMac, at somewhere between 10 & 20 thousand (!!!) teeth response started getting very sluggish. At 50,000 teeth, I eventually gave up & force quit the app because after one minute or so I got tired of watching the spinning beachball of death cursor while the app labored to change the zoom level.

But at 10,000 teeth it was still quite usable, which I think is pretty impressive.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

• 6 months later...
9 hours ago, GRW said:

The cog tool in Affinity Designer for iPad allows one to increase the number of teeth to 48, however, I am unable to go beyond that number. Can anyone help?

48 teeth seems to be the limit for the iPad version. I can open an afdesign file I created in the desktop version with more teeth & the iPad version will display it properly, but it shows the cog as having 48 teeth & any attempt to change that number drops it back to 48 or less teeth.

There also seems to be no way to numerically set anything besides number of teeth & the inner & outer radii in the iPad version, as can be done from the context toolbar in the desktop version.

96 tooth cog.afdesign

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

• Staff

Hi GRW,

Welcome to the forums :)

Thanks for bringing this to our attention, I have logged it with the developers to be as I don't believe a limit should be set.

2 hours ago, R C-R said:

There also seems to be no way to numerically set anything besides number of teeth & the inner & outer radii in the iPad version, as can be done from the context toolbar in the desktop version.

Thanks R C-R, I've logged this in the same bug report :) 

Please note -

I am currently out of the office for a short while whilst recovering from surgery (nothing serious!), therefore will not be available on the Forums during this time.

Should you require a response from the team in a thread I have previously replied in - please Create a New Thread and our team will be sure to reply as soon as possible.

Many thanks!

2 hours ago, R C-R said:

48 teeth seems to be the limit for the iPad version.

Just as an FYI, there was a limit of 48 teeth in the original Windows beta version.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.