You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Stroke confusion

Did a search before posting this, but didn't come up with anything. Is there a reason that when selecting an image, applying a stroke from the stroke panel doesn't seem to do anything? I'm trying to put a dark outline against a picture box, but nothing happens. Is this a bug, or a missing feature?

Thanks! Love how awesome this beta has been so far!

• Staff

Hi coolieranx,
What's the type of layer you have selected? Look at the label between parenthesis after the layer's name in the Layers panel.
- If it's the Picture Frame itself you should be able to apply a stroke to it through the stroke width pop-up in the context toolbar
- If it's an Image layer you should be able to apply a stroke to it through the stroke width pop-up in the context toolbar
- If it's a Pixel layer it doesn't support strokes. Use an Outline FX instead.

Ahhh, I see what's happening. If I originally place an image in a document with the CMND + M (or File > Place...), there is no option to stroke that item once it goes into the document. If I make a box first, I'm able to have full stroking options.

Why are these so fundamentally different? If I'm placing straight away with CMND + M, and it's putting in an image with a box, I feel like I should have stroking ability. Is there a reason that these behaviors function differently? I guess what I'm asking is, what's the purpose of the CMND+M version of putting in an image versus putting it in a box first? Does this have to do with an image placing methodology that Affinity wants for this program? Is CMND + M placing a pixel layer directly, and if so, why is that desirable/undesirable to other methods? Maybe I'm too new to Affinity, but I don't quite understand why I might want a pixel layer in a layout program.

Sorry if this is confusing, but I'm super curious what your response will be! Thanks!

If you just Place in image in APub, you can put a frame round it. Just select the image, then the Stroke etc from the context toolbar or the Stroke panel. You do much with it but for a simple stroke it's okay. If you want full control I would create a box then Insert Inside Selection etc.

Windows 10 Pro, I5 3.3G PC 16G RAM

6 minutes ago, MickRose said:

If you just Place in image in APub, you can put a frame round it. Just select the image, then the Stroke etc from the context toolbar or the Stroke panel. You do much with it but for a simple stroke it's okay. If you want full control I would create a box then Insert Inside Selection etc.

On my computer, that doesn't work. Applying a stroke doesn't do anything to an image placed that way. Maybe it's a bug?