You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Placing TIF file with transparency problem

I have made a TIF file with transparency. I can open it in APhoto. When I try to place it in any Affinity program (including Photo) I just get a blank. Placing in InDesign or Quark is fine. Other TIF files with transparency are okay. Is this a known problem?

Windows 10 Pro, I5 3.3G PC 16G RAM

If other TIF files with transparency work, it sounds like there's something odd with your file. Can you provide it so we can look at it? If you can't share it publicly, someone from Serif can provide a private upload link for you.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

Definitely something weird about this file. From the same basic file adjusted in P/Shop I've also had APhoto open the cropped file but showing the uncropped area as well outside the page area. It once showed as a general abstract noisy image on one occasion. I've redone the crop and transparency in Photoshop & it's now behaving okay. If I get this problem again I'll repost.

Windows 10 Pro, I5 3.3G PC 16G RAM

On 1/7/2019 at 5:17 PM, MickRose said:

I have made a TIF file with transparency. I can open it in APhoto. When I try to place it in any Affinity program (including Photo) I just get a blank. Placing in InDesign or Quark is fine. Other TIF files with transparency are okay. Is this a known problem?

Hallo Mick, I'm curious, How did you make a TIFF file with Transparency?  This can only be done with png.  I also encounter similar issues exactly as you described if I forget to delete the alpha channels from TIFF files when placing into Publisher.  It's no problem since you don not need them but thought I would mention this.

Microsoft - Like entering your home and opening the stainless steel kitchen door, with a Popup: 'Do you really want to open this door'? Then looking for the dishwasher and finding it stored in the living room where you have to download a water supply from the app store, then you have to buy microsoft compliant soap, remove the carpet only to be told that it is glued to the floor.. Don't forget to make multiple copies of your front door key and post them to all who demand access to all the doors inside your home including the windows and outside shed.

Apple - Like entering your home and opening the oak framed Kitchen door and finding the dishwasher right in front you ready to be switched on, soap supplied, and water that comes through a water softener.  Ah the front door key is yours and it only needs to open the front door.

3 hours ago, Chris26 said:

How did you make a TIFF file with Transparency?  This can only be done with png. 

The TIFF format supports transparency, though I've seen articles that say some applications may not support it properly. Photo (1.6 and 1.7, on Windows) will certainly export a TIFF with a transparent background.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

I imported my transparent pictures as PNG with transparency, too, but after exporting the document to PDF and re-import it everything is a TIF.

So Publisher is a pretty reliable PNG-to-TIF converter. :D

Windows 10 Pro x64 (1903). Intel Core i7-9700K @ 3.60GHz, 32 GB memory, NVidia RTX 2080
Affinity Photo 1.7.2.471, Affinity Designer 1.7.2.471, Affinity Publisher 1.7.2.471

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.