You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

AFFINITY DESIGNER- Using a Stylus Pen with 2in1 laptop

1 hour ago, Ter said:

is it possible to use a stylus pen with a 2in1 laptop.

I have an Acer Spin 2 in 1 laptop and it works fine. I did a review

The main problem is that although a Stylus (or a finger) works fine, you cannot access modifier keys like Shift, Alt or Control, which can be a bit of an issue on a normal User Interface. The iPad interface is better designed for using with a stylus.

Still, I like using it and it is far less restrictive than using the cut down iPad version of Affinity.

Windows PCs. Photo and Designer, latest non-beta versions.

Thank you for your advice.  I am opting more for an iPad because I think that will be better for vector drawing. I am concerned whether I will be able to easily upload my illustrations to my windows PC - to insert into a word document which will be inserted inside an ebook software, such as kindle. Any advice on this would be much appreciated. 

I don’t find that at all. Too many features missing on the iPad version and the iOS filing system is awful. Trying to get from an iPad to a Windows PC is really hard work. You have to go via a Cloud storage system or Wi-Fi networking with a bit of effort.

I would go for a 2 in 1 but would buy a graphics tablet like the new Huion with tilt. In my opinion that is bigger and better than the iPad, plus you get a normal PC with normal mouse and keyboard that runs normal software like MS Office or the full version of Affinity plus the soon to be launched Publisher.

You could use the tablet with both the 2 in 1 and your desktop. Five times the usability for half the price and the same software licence allows you to use Affinity stuff on desktop and 2 in 1. 

My Acer cost under £600 and the tablet under £100. A iPad plus pencil would cost over £1000 and you have to buy iPad versions of Affinity. Still, the iPad is a great toy and we all love toys. Just don’t tell the wife :D

In fact, since I bought the Acer, I just use my iPad as a browser and it’s a very expensive browser !

15 minutes ago, Ter said:

Thank you for being so helpful. I have been going round in circles wondering what to opt for. I will take your advice on board and start looking again.

Actually, one more thing I really like the 2in1 for is proof reading. I have been working on some projects with lots of text and after the main Word document was written, I used the 2in1 in tablet mode to read / edit the file. It’s a lot more comfortable to recline on the sofa and proof-read than sit for hours in front of a PC. Literally a pain in the neck :(

Because it runs the same software there are no problems transferring or reading Word files either with a network or a memory stick. No way could you do that with an iPad.

Thank you for that helpful information.  Another thing I am trying to find out about the huion tablet  is - if I import a scanned image or drawing into Affinity Design , can I draw around the image using huion tablet? When I am colouring in the image, will I be able to use the affinity features?

Not sure where I have read that some are having issues with the Huion in Affinity, but don't quote me on that...

AD, AP and APub. V1.10.6 and V2.4 Windows 10 and Windows 11. 
Ryzen 9 3900X, 32 GB RAM,  RTX 3060 12GB, Wacom Intuos XL, Wacom L. Eizo ColorEdge CS 2420 monitor. Windows 10 Pro.
(Laptop) HP Omen 16-b1010ns 12700H, 32GB DDR5, nVidia RTX 3060 6GB + Huion Kamvas 22 pen display, Windows 11 Pro.

Thank you for your comment...I guess I'll find out soon enough - I have just ordered a Huion Giano wh1409. I am waiting for restocking of hp pavillion x360  2in1 touchscreen. I am buying affinity designer software when the laptop is set up.

In the meantime I have an Affinity Designer Workbook to learn about using the software. Hopefully it will all click into place!

Thank you for the info ! The more tablets we know that work with Affinity, the better.

AD, AP and APub. V1.10.6 and V2.4 Windows 10 and Windows 11. 
Ryzen 9 3900X, 32 GB RAM,  RTX 3060 12GB, Wacom Intuos XL, Wacom L. Eizo ColorEdge CS 2420 monitor. Windows 10 Pro.
(Laptop) HP Omen 16-b1010ns 12700H, 32GB DDR5, nVidia RTX 3060 6GB + Huion Kamvas 22 pen display, Windows 11 Pro.

• 2 years later...

Hi @toltecI have recently bought a 2 in 1 acer and was looking forward to using the stylus to design, but have just opened affinity designer and cannot figure out how to use it. Without the shift, ctrl keys etc. It seems practically useless. And it won't even adjust the stroke of brushes in relation to speed or pressure even when those settings are selected. How are you using it on your acer?

1 minute ago, ronanski said:

How are you using it on your acer?

@toltec has not participated here for nearly two years.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

56 minutes ago, ronanski said:

Can you help me?

No, as I don't have the same hardware you have.

I can tell you, though, that the Affinity applications on Windows are designed to work with a computer that has a keyboard. So I can suggest that you might consider getting a bluetooth keyboard, or learning about Windows On-Screen Keyboard.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/use-the-on-screen-keyboard-osk-to-type-ecbb5e08-5b4e-d8c8-f794-81dbf896267a

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1