You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Footnotes / endnotes

Hi, This is my first post and have been using Designer on an experimental basis.  I come from using InDesign and Photoshop.

Overall very good and easy to use.  Impressed.

As a technical author I need footnotes.  Its a MUST.  No footnotes, no buy Publisher when it comes out

Perhaps I have missed something, but Affinity please note.

Chris McKay

• 2 weeks later...

Hello, I know this has been raised on other forums but as this seems to be the latest query concerning a footnotes provision, I would just like to add a plea for this and to ask if there is any news on this. As someone who has worked in the educational publishing field, this is an important factor in book design, thanks.

31 minutes ago, Redpost said:

I would just like to add a plea for this and to ask if there is any news on this

As far as I know Footnotes will not be available upon release of Publisher but will be added in a later update.

2017 27” iMac 4.2 GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i7 • Radeon Pr 580 8GB • 64GB • Ventura 13.6.4.

iPad Pro (10.5-inch) • 256GB • Version 16.4

On 1/7/2019 at 6:34 AM, Chris McKay said:

Hi, This is my first post and have been using Designer on an experimental basis.  I come from using InDesign and Photoshop.

Overall very good and easy to use.  Impressed.

As a technical author I need footnotes.  Its a MUST.  No footnotes, no buy Publisher when it comes out

Perhaps I have missed something, but Affinity please note.

Chris McKay

Is there anything specific about footnotes that you can't create with a separate textbox?

1 hour ago, kdog3682 said:

Is there anything specific about footnotes that you can't create with a separate textbox?

If it's a matter of a few footnotes in a document your suggestion will work.

If you have a lot of them you need an automated way of dealing with them.

2017 27” iMac 4.2 GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i7 • Radeon Pr 580 8GB • 64GB • Ventura 13.6.4.

iPad Pro (10.5-inch) • 256GB • Version 16.4

On 1/21/2019 at 3:21 PM, Seneca said:

As far as I know Footnotes will not be available upon release of Publisher but will be added in a later update.

Do you have any idea of the time-scale for footnotes/endnotes to be offered? Months? Years? Serif don't seem to appreciate how vital they are for many types of publications...

Not everything, one appreciates, can be accompished in an initial version of an application.

Or the other way round: Not everything, what isn‘t present in the initial version of an application, isn‘t appreciated.

Why, oh why being that impatient? If the actual state of an application doesn‘t Match my needs, I simply don‘t use it.

On 1/25/2019 at 8:05 PM, François C-R said:

Do you have any idea of the time-scale for footnotes/endnotes to be offered? Months? Years? Serif don't seem to appreciate how vital they are for many types of publications...

I doubt it will be this year. It's not that we don't appreciate how much some documents need them, it's that it will take time to do, and we don't want to delay the release waiting for them.

• 1 year later...
38 minutes ago, Smokehouse said:

I bought Affinity Publisher this week but I really need footnotes.  Like the people above Affinity Publisher will be useless to me without them! Never occurred to me that it wouldn't be possible to use them one way or another!

FYI, if it's truly useless to you, and you bought directly from Serif (not from Apple or Microsoft) then you can use Serif's 14-day return policy to get your money back.

https://affinity.store/help/#returns

(Of course, you could also have discovered the lack of footnotes during the Trial period, before buying.)

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

• 9 months later...
33 minutes ago, FernandoRosa said:

I'm considering buy Affinity Publisher, but I need foot notes. Any news about the release of this tool?

Bad TV Signal by DelaiVeter | VideoHive

• "The user interface is supposed to work for me - I am not supposed to work for the user interface."
  • Computer-, operating system- and software agnostic; I am a result oriented professional. Look for a fanboy somewhere else.
  • “When a wise man points at the moon the imbecile examines the finger.” ― Confucius
  • Not an Affinity user og forum user anymore. The software continued to disappoint and not deliver.

Hi there, as some time has passed, no new yet, when footnotes become available? Footnotes and endnotes, and best would even be both at the same time, is also essential to me. So please add it as feature and i would be happy to switch to publisher. Thank You! Without automatic footnotes is a headache. I've done it, but you can not add one later one and so forth … Thank you for your consideration!