You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

A way to move small shapes without clicking inside?

Hi guys,

I just got Designer on the iPad and enjoying it so far. One thing I would love to be able to do is to move small/narrow objects while zoomed out. Currently when I have a small shape selected and I’m zoomed out wide, the tool thinks I’m trying to scale it because the shape is small, it’s hard to click inside the middle so I can move it and I always end up dragging the scaling handles. I know you can use transport studio but large movements in there it seems slow and awkward. I would love to be able to move small/narrow shapes like this ideally by selecting it but dragging anywhere outside the shape so it just moves relative to the cursor. Is this or something like this possible? Simple vid attached to demo problem.

bonus question: is it possible to see the brush/vector size cursor while drawing? I’m finding erasing very inaccurate because I can’t see the leading edge of the brush. I have show touches turned on but they don’t fit to the same size of the brush.  Thanks a mill guys.

16 minutes ago, cormaction said:

One thing I would love to be able to do is to move small/narrow objects while zoomed out.

That is a bug, or at least a very poor implementation of a software feature. Lots of people have been complaining about that and let us pray Serif fix it in the next release of Designer. It is really naff at the moment and lets the whole program down.

Solutions (sort of).

A. Use the Transform panel and swipe across the X or Y controllers to move it.

B. Draw a larger shape (like a rectangle) and select that and the small object. You can then use the larger shape as a handle to move the smaller shape. A bit of a bodge but it works quite well.

Windows PCs. Photo and Designer, latest non-beta versions.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 1/7/2019 at 12:50 PM, toltec said:

A. Use the Transform panel and swipe across the X or Y controllers to move it.

For selecting the object, you can always pick it out of the list in the Layers/Objects panel. Once selected, the Transform panel is great (IMHO) for either moving by sliding on the X or Y values, or dialing in the exact pixel value you need.

• 1 month later...

The issue is that control handle picking behaviour is zoom independant or incorrectly dependant, it is applied to every tool. Then you work in 100% zoom tools works fine,  control handle picking radious is optimal. But then you zoom in control handle picking radious becomes too big and you can  and will accedently pick wrong control handle if they are close to each other, but if thouse nodes would be in same proximity to each other in 100 % zoom you can successfully pick control handles.  Affinity team shuld fix  this issue in the future.