You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Suggestion for adding OpenType hist and hlig capability

Suggestion for adding OpenType hist and hlig capability

It would be good if Affinity Publisher could include facilities for handling hist and hlig tables please.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-gb/typography/opentype/spec/features_fj#a-namehist-idhistatag-39hist39

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-gb/typography/opentype/spec/features_fj#a-namehlig-idhligatag-39hlig39

It would need an appropriate font to be used so I am not sure to what extent Adobe Publisher would need to be altered.

For example, the cascaded menus from Text Show Typography and Text Ligatures would need changing to allow for selection of facilities.

Yet I have no idea how much would need to be added or changed within the software so that it all would work.

It would be a good addition.

Affinity Publisher is a top class product and it would be good to have such facilities included within it please.

William Overington

Monday 7 January 2019

Until December 2022, using a Lenovo laptop running Windows 10 in England. From January 2023, using an HP laptop running Windows 11 in England.

1 minute ago, Bhikkhu Pesala said:

Both features are already supported. The screenshot shows them enabled in my font Lekhana

Wow, that's great. Thank you.

Affinity Publisher is a top class product.

William

Until December 2022, using a Lenovo laptop running Windows 10 in England. From January 2023, using an HP laptop running Windows 11 in England.

1 hour ago, Bhikkhu Pesala said:

Both features are already supported. The screenshot shows them enabled in my font Lekhana

Historical Forms and Ligatures.png

Is it by design that hist and hlig are applied before ornm? If I choose ‘Ornaments’ when Historical Forms is turned on, I get a ‘longs’ instead of an ornament, and if ‘Historic Ligatures’ is turned on I get the ligature shown against Ornaments in your screenshot.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

6 minutes ago, Alfred said:

Is it by design that hist and hlig are applied before ornm? If I choose ‘Ornaments’ when Historical Forms is turned on, I get a ‘longs’ instead of an ornament, and if ‘Historic Ligatures’ is turned on I get the ligature shown against Ornaments in your screenshot.

You need to spend more time designing your own fonts, and less time finding fault with what others do. Then you might understand how complex the issue is.  There is already a thread discussing precedence of OpenType features on the High-Logic forum. 

It is not worth my time to discuss this. Life is too short; others can lose sleep over it if they wish. When you can do better, we will offer some critique of your fonts, but only if you request it. 

AMD A10-6800K, with Radeon HD Graphics 4100 GHz

8 Gb on Windows 10 64-bit build 17763.316 •  My Free OpenType Fonts

11 minutes ago, Bhikkhu Pesala said:

You need to spend more time designing your own fonts, and less time finding fault with what others do.

I wasn’t finding fault, I was asking a question! I’m in awe of what you’ve achieved with fonts like Lekhana, and for all I knew you might have been planning to add different ornaments to substitute for ‘longs’ and its ligatures in a future update.

Thank you for the link to the discussion on precedence of OT features.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)