You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Filling areas made by vector brush

Hi there. 

I've just discovered AD and I'm very impressed. I want to use it specifically for drawing over floorplans I've created in Sketchup and so my first attempt was using the vector brush to draw around all the walls. I now want to fill in all these walls with a solid black fill but can't seem to achieve it. I want the lines to have a handdrawn appearance which is why I didn't use the pen tool. I've tried selecting the lines of each wall segment which are basically all just rectangular boxes but can't fill them in using the gradient tool or the fill tool in the pixel space.

Would someone be able to tell me the best way to draw these rectangles and be able to fill them in?

You draw your vector shape. Add a pixel layer. Fill pixel layer then drag the pixel layer over the vector layer. When you see the blue line, let go.

simpler, draw shape on canvas, use fill tool on vector shape.

M1 IPad Air 10.9/256GB   lpadOS 17.1.1 Apple Pencil (2nd gen).
Affinity Photo 1.10.5 Affinity Design 1.10.5 
Affinity Publisher 2, Affinity Designer 2, Affinity Photo 2 and betas.

Official Online iPad Help documents (multi-lingual) here: https://affinity.https://affinity.help/ 

12 hours ago, KevinLeeArt said:

Hi there. 

I've just discovered AD and I'm very impressed. I want to use it specifically for drawing over floorplans I've created in Sketchup and so my first attempt was using the vector brush to draw around all the walls. I now want to fill in all these walls with a solid black fill but can't seem to achieve it. I want the lines to have a handdrawn appearance which is why I didn't use the pen tool. I've tried selecting the lines of each wall segment which are basically all just rectangular boxes but can't fill them in using the gradient tool or the fill tool in the pixel space.

Would someone be able to tell me the best way to draw these rectangles and be able to fill them in?

The thing is, the Vector Brush Tool is a Brush. You would be much better off using the Pencil Tool which is designed for that sort of drawing.

You can join the Pencil Tool path to make a closed path (your rectangles). Either use the Close Curve command on the Context Toolbar or select the Node Tool and drag the last node of the path over the first node until it snaps and closes the path. Then you can fill it with a solid fill, a gradient or even a bitmap (such as a texture) just like any shape.

Set Sculpt on (Context Toolbar) and you can continue drawing the lines. i.e if you pause in your drawing, with the Vector Brush tool it starts a new separate line, with the Pencil Tool, you can continue with the same line. Just start again from directly over the last node and continue drawing. You can even reshape paths by drawing over them again (or use the Node tool and drag nodes). A really cool tool.

Windows PCs. Photo and Designer, latest non-beta versions.

Thanks very much guys. Yes, the pencil tool certainly seems like the one I should be using. I was confused by the difference between the pen, pencil & brush tools but a search on Youtube sorted that out.

I'll carry on with the pencil tool and let you know if I have any more problems :)