Dick Sites

Several bugs displayng SVG input

Several bugs of Affinity Designer 1.6.0 displaying the attached SVG. Compare to viewing the same file in Chrome or Safari (Firefox mangles the fonts, inkscape turns rgba into solid black)

1) Black text on left should be to the left of leftmost vertical black line (negative width, right-justified)

2) Vertical gridlines above X-axis ticks should be very light gray, not black

3) Top Hello... and bottom Time... blue text should be a serif font
4) Black-text fonts are a little too high and wide vs. default browser sans-serif font (Arial, I presume)

5) Unicode characters at lower right are not properly displayed -- circle 1 thru circle 5 plus up-down arrow

svgtop (4).svg

Thanks for the file, curiously how was this SVG generated? It also seems to struggle in Illustrator and gives the same output as Inkscape

Regarding points 1 and 2 I'll pass these on to development to see if they can be improved. With points 3-5, looking inside of the SVG I can't see anything defining the font for text objects except for just stating 'sans-serif' as the font family. Because there aren't any defined fonts, Affinity will just fall back to Arial, I imagine that is also why Firefox is displaying it incorrectly. However this isn't a bug.

I generated it from my hand-coded HTML file that sets up the overall SVG structure and then dynamically generates all the SVG timelines (showing the *complete* CPU execution of the hello world program). I exported the dynamically-created DOM from the Chrome browser via the "svg crowbar2" extension. So 1 and 2 are bugs, and I believe 3 might be a bug since the browser defaults to a serif font, but Affinity shows sans-serif. 4 and 5 are not Affinity bugs. Thanks, /dick

3 hours ago, Dick Sites said:

and I believe 3 might be a bug since the browser defaults to a serif font, but Affinity shows sans-serif.

Yes, there might be a bug, but why would it be an Affinity bug to obey the specification of sans-serif in the file? Wouldn't it be a browser bug to use serif instead?

-- Walt

Windows 10 Home, version 1809, 16GB memory, Intel Core i7-6700K @ 4.00Gz, GeForce GTX 970
Affinity Photo 1.6.5.123 and 1.7.0.333 Beta       / Affinity Designer 1.6..5.123 and 1.7.0.333 Beta    / Affinity Publisher 1.7.0.337 Beta

Thanks, Walt. One of the portions that I expected to be in a serif font is here, with no mention of sans-serif:

<text id="titletext" transform="translate(802.5, 44)" font-size="50px" class="title-text noselect" style="display:block;font-size:50px;height:auto;overflow-x:visible;overflow-y:visible;white-space:nowrap;width:auto;perspective-origin:0px 0px;transform:matrix(1, 0, 0, 1, 802.5, 44);transform-origin:0px 0px;user-select:none;fill:rgb(0, 0, 255);text-anchor:middle;">Hello World ssh</text>

I will add an explicit font-family="serif" in my original. I have also worked around the rgba display error in inkscape and others by switching to rgb and an explicit opacity=0.5 or whatever.

6) I think there is still a clipping issue in Affinity (and inkscape), not seen in the original file, but seen in the attached svgtop(6).svg file. The black horizontal lines headed off the the left edge should be clipped at the left of the main white area, as seen when opening this file in a browser. Possibly related to nested svg regions, but apparently only clipping to the outermost one. There should also be a light yellow background outside the main white area: see a browser display of this. /dick

svgtop (6).svg