You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Affinity Designer - Bunny, detail from painting of Mark Ryden.

Bartek

Hi,

This is redrawing of detail from Mark's Ryden painting "Snowhite" (full painting is lil bit disturbing and might be assignet to 18+ category, if anyone want to search it on the web).

Detail:

45ff02cf973e54bd5bb8f1370e974577.jpg

I redrawed a head of bunny without surrounding stuff. Just for practice and increase skills. I spend on this many hours and im still not fully satisfied (fur was a problem for me).

All with vectors and some FX'es (blurr).

bunny.jpg

2 hours ago, gabriel_komorov said:

For this type of work Photo is better tool

Sure (or maybe - only if You have tablet, I don't have it) :) As I mentioned - this is nothing more but for practice purpose. I just wondered did I manage to recreate these smooth gradients on ears and face. I add fur just to complete overal look and I know it looks strange.

Great start Bartek, I love the fake fur.

You may want to put a very slight gaussian blur on anything with a hard edge to visually connect better with the pixel work. To me those edges are a bit too hard at the moment. Especially on the right side of the face. Could use a bit more of a shadow where the smooth meets the fur too.

You're tackling a tough challenge but as I say it's a great start!

The fluffy texture is created excellently. But as retrograde said some of the edges are too hard. Don't cut contour lines of adjacent areas so that they bump flush; let the overlap and use the transparency and blur tools to make the transition are look natural, like I did in this 100% vector image in the face & neck against the jacket and shirt areas: 

Detailed suggestions are given, because the rest of the drawing shows you have the skill to do this. I know such vector drawing require a lot of curve drawing and patience, but the benefit is that they can be rescaled to any size without loss of quality. Once an artists such as you set foot on this path, the challenge is the puzzling of how to make the vector drawing look like pixel art, while not copying the disadvantages of bitmap images.

Home: https://vectorwhiz.com  : : : :  Portfolio blog: https://communicats.blogspot.com

Thank you all for your opinions. I know that the edges of the face are sharp, but this is due to the fact that they were also sharp in the original image. These old "rubber face toys" often looked quite strange.

Maybe I will improve it, but I have to gather some strength to return to this project. :)

I hear ya, but even elements that have a "sharp" edge don't really when you zoom in on them. Sometimes our mind plays tricks with our eyes and when we created art in a vector program where we can zoom in to create detail we need to remember if we create a knife edge it will look strange when seen at a "normal" distance. If you download that original Mark Ryden image and then zoom in on the right side of the face area you'll see just how fuzzy that "sharp" edge is. :-) Similar to the lips on my Madame Butterfly piece, done in Affinity Designer.

https://www.behance.net/gallery/65259787/Madame-Butterfly-Affinity-Designer

Screen Shot 2019-01-11 at 8.32.06 AM.png

Love the ear work, although the colour needs to be more towards the fur on the head, as it is it looks like its floating in front, especially the left ear part, if it matched the creaminess of the fur it would look better but a cracking job nonetheless, kudos with regard to the fur, lovely effect.

Fascinating artist by the way.

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  
B| (Please refrain from licking the screen while using this forum)

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions