You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Max document height?

I'm working on a project and put in a height of 1300 inches as a custom size. However the height maxed out at 853.333 in. I tried a few times and the results were repeated. 

Is this a feature or a bug? Shouldn't I be able to do whatever in software as long as my hardware can handle it?

It is, in some way, related to a maximum based on the number of pixels. For example, on Windows Designer 1.6 will let me specify a height of 1300in if I specify a DPI of 100, but will max out at 853.333in if I specify a DPI of 300. So it looks like the max is about 260,000 pixels in that dimension.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

What are you trying to produce? Something that big seems like some kind of poster, and typically those do not need a high print density (DPI). 

So, decrease your DPI and you can get the size you want.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

See this thread for absolute values, back in 2014/2015, I don't think it has changed

https://forum.affinity.serif.com/index.php?/topic/951-document-size-limit/

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.

@floatingonair I'm wondering what your final output will be for as you might not be using the correct software for purpose.

If you are making something to show people where certain items will be in the room - in relation to doors, windows, etc. - then Designer may be a good choice, it's certainly got the tools to make a good-looking floor plan. But if you intend to produce detailed plans - with things like dimensioning - then a CAD application might be a better choice (and there are plenty of free open source ones you can try, just to get a feel for them at least).

On a related note, if you stick with Designer, I would be tempted to use millimetres instead of inches. In other words, 1300 inches is converted to 1300 millimetres, so a length of 3 feet would be 3*12in=36mm. Designer can handle 1300mm at 300DPI easily and your audience probably doesn't need to know that you used a different unit of measure.

I used Sketchup to make the original layout. Then imported the resulting pdf into Designer to layout interior items with labels.

Sketchup does a very poor job of keeping text relative to items. Zoom in and the text stays while whatever it is describing is someplace else. Very frustrating. 

Using these two apps in tandem has worked well.

Lowering dpi may help (and as MikeW said it does not lower quality if you use vector elements), but usually I scale the content to some suitable size, preferably final print size, which should be in some scale like 1:200. Scaling may be tricky if AD does not want to accept full size original, and, if you need to drag size on import instead giving simple scaling value.

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.