I'm working on a project and put in a height of 1300 inches as a custom size. However the height maxed out at 853.333 in. I tried a few times and the results were repeated. 

Is this a feature or a bug? Shouldn't I be able to do whatever in software as long as my hardware can handle it?

It is, in some way, related to a maximum based on the number of pixels. For example, on Windows Designer 1.6 will let me specify a height of 1300in if I specify a DPI of 100, but will max out at 853.333in if I specify a DPI of 300. So it looks like the max is about 260,000 pixels in that dimension.

-- Walt

Windows 10 Home, version 1809, 16GB memory, Intel Core i7-6700K @ 4.00Gz
Affinity Photo 1.6.5.123 and 1.7.0.258 Beta
Affinity Designer 1.6..5.123 and 1.7.0.258 Beta
Affinity Publisher 1.7.0.257 Beta

What are you trying to produce? Something that big seems like some kind of poster, and typically those do not need a high print density (DPI). 

So, decrease your DPI and you can get the size you want.

-- Walt

Windows 10 Home, version 1809, 16GB memory, Intel Core i7-6700K @ 4.00Gz
Affinity Photo 1.6.5.123 and 1.7.0.258 Beta
Affinity Designer 1.6..5.123 and 1.7.0.258 Beta
Affinity Publisher 1.7.0.257 Beta

11 hours ago, floatingonair said:

Doing a floor plan to scale which needs to be printed, so will try 200 dpi

If all vector drawn objects, dpi will not matter.

However, exactly how do you intend to have this printed?

My computer is a nothing-special Toshiba laptop with unremarkable specs running Windows 10 64-bit.

@floatingonair I'm wondering what your final output will be for as you might not be using the correct software for purpose.

If you are making something to show people where certain items will be in the room - in relation to doors, windows, etc. - then Designer may be a good choice, it's certainly got the tools to make a good-looking floor plan. But if you intend to produce detailed plans - with things like dimensioning - then a CAD application might be a better choice (and there are plenty of free open source ones you can try, just to get a feel for them at least).

On a related note, if you stick with Designer, I would be tempted to use millimetres instead of inches. In other words, 1300 inches is converted to 1300 millimetres, so a length of 3 feet would be 3*12in=36mm. Designer can handle 1300mm at 300DPI easily and your audience probably doesn't need to know that you used a different unit of measure.

I used Sketchup to make the original layout. Then imported the resulting pdf into Designer to layout interior items with labels.

Sketchup does a very poor job of keeping text relative to items. Zoom in and the text stays while whatever it is describing is someplace else. Very frustrating. 

Using these two apps in tandem has worked well.

You can also tile multiple artboards within AD... 

2017 15" MacBook Pro 14,3 w/ Intel 4 Core i7 @ 2.8 GHz, 16 GB RAM, AMD 455 @ 2 GB, 512 GB SSD, macOS High Sierra

Lowering dpi may help (and as MikeW said it does not lower quality if you use vector elements), but usually I scale the content to some suitable size, preferably final print size, which should be in some scale like 1:200. Scaling may be tricky if AD does not want to accept full size original, and, if you need to drag size on import instead giving simple scaling value.