You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

I recently upgraded from a Nikon D90 to a Nikon Z6 and always shoot RAW (NEF) files. The NEF files created by the D90 open readily in Affinity Photo, but the NEF files created by the Z6 will not open - they are much larger files of course and I did wait to see if they would open. It does show the file type and file extension below the tool bar at the top, but it will not display the photo for developing. I converted one of the Z6 NEF files in Nikon software to a TIFF file which then opened instantly in Affinity Photo but i want to develop the RAW files. I am using a MS Surface laptop which has a 1 TB SSD and 16 GB RAM, so i doubt that it is processing capability. Is it an issue with the 'newness' of the Z6 to market and the Affinity software needs updating? Is there an update available?

All suggestions and assistance welcome.

• Staff

Hi Roger and Welcome to the Forums,

We don't currently support the Nikon Z6 and i'm not 100% sure on when we will.  You could possibly use a converter to convert the RAW files to a DNG which you could then open in Affinity.  I'm sure others who have faced this problem will post shortly.

It sounds like you may have arrived at a very workable solution to this problem that many of us face with owning new cameras not yet supported by AP.  I am a Fuji user with a new X-T3 whose RAW files also cannot yet be converted by AP.  I now use Capture One Pro Fujifilm as my RAW converter & am fairly certain that their regular Pro software also supports the new Nikon & Canon mirrorless cameras & converts their RAW files.  C1 also works well to incorporate AP as a plug in to allow round trip file editing between the two applications.  Good luck & happy shooting with your new Z6, which looks like a very good camera.

Well DNG is here more or less a workaround until the Z6 RAW will be natively supported. - Other RAW converters are lately too support the Z6/Z7, like for example RawTherapee 5.5, which in turn also has now a build-in filter to remove possible PDAF striping/banding artefacts for the Sony/Nikon mirrorless cams here.

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan
☛ Affinity V2.3 apps ◆ MacOS Sonoma 14.2 ◆ iPad OS 17.2