You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

View Tool "Overides" other tools rendering other tools unusable

I've recently started to use Affinity Photo as an alternative to photoshop but there seems to be a major issue with tool selection.

Working in both Developer and Photo Persona various tools seem to default to or be overridden by the View Tool rendering certain tool unusable. 

For example in Photo Persona the Free Hand Selection Tool is not available as when selected results in the View Tool (with Hand Icon and functionality) rather than the Free Hand Selection Tool actually chosen. However the other selection tools, (Marquee type) are all accessible.

The same issue occurs with the clone tool in Developer Persona.

This seems like a very basic issue but renders Affinity unusable as it prevents access to standard tools... I'm posting on this forum in the hope someone can offer a solution?

Affinity does seem to offer an alternative to photoshop if it can be depended on to work as it should.

Edited by Arbarus
misspelt word

• Staff

Hi Arbarus and Welcome to the Forums,

11 hours ago, Arbarus said:

For example in Photo Persona the Free Hand Selection Tool is not available as when selected results in the View Tool (with Hand Icon and functionality) rather than the Free Hand Selection Tool actually chosen. However the other selection tools, (Marquee type) are all accessible.

I'm not finding this.  If i select the Free hand selection tool, that is the tool thats selected.  Would you be able to do a screen recording showing this and the issue with Develop as well?

How specifically are you trying to select the tools? For example, are you using keyboard shortcuts or clicking on a tool button in the Tools panel?

In the Affinity apps, like in Photoshop & several other apps, you can temporarily switch to the View Tool by holding down the spacebar. Is it possible you are doing that accidentally or that the spacebar on your keyboard sticks?

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

10 hours ago, stokerg said:

Hi Arbarus and Welcome to the Forums,

I'm not finding this.  If i select the Free hand selection tool, that is the tool thats selected.  Would you be able to do a screen recording showing this and the issue with Develop as well?

Hi Stokberg,

Thank you for the swift reply. To clarify: I can select the View Tool either by clicking on it or by pressing the spacebar BUT when I try to select the Free Hand Selection Tool (from any other tool) it activates the View Tool (both ICON and FUNCTIONALITY) - but NOT every time, although once the glitch 'activates' it is permanent until a restart. the other MARQUEE SELECTION TOOLS work as they should...

It seems to be an intermittent problem; if I close and restart AFFINITY PHOTO the FREEHAND SELECTION TOOL is available again. I suspect it might be dependant on how long the programme has been running or related to the last used TOOL but haven't had chance to delve in further. 

I'm running AFFINITY PHOTO on a new clean install of 10.11 (El Cap) to test independently of my current setup so will try and get chance to do another test later today and do a screen recording of the problem in PHOTO & DEVELOP persona.

It's a real shame as the RAW editing seems great but having to shut down and reopen the programme isn't ideal!

1 hour ago, R C-R said:

How specifically are you trying to select the tools? For example, are you using keyboard shortcuts or clicking on a tool button in the Tools panel?

In the Affinity apps, like in Photoshop & several other apps, you can temporarily switch to the View Tool by holding down the spacebar. Is it possible you are doing that accidentally or that the spacebar on your keyboard sticks?

In reply to R C-R,

I'm selecting directly by clinking into the TOOL PANEL (I don't think there is a keyboard short cut for FREEHAND SELECT- if there is please let me know as it an option to try?) - I do select the VIEW TOOL via spacebar but as the other tools are accessible I'm assuming the issue isn't keyboard related.

Will try to post a vid later today.

many thanks

Richard