You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Picture Frame Rectangle Tool on Masterpage - Alternative Workflow?

Hi, since it´s not (yet) possible, to place images in a page with an in a master page placed "Picture Frame Rectangle Tool", I am looking for a workaround, to do this. I found lots of spots here in the forum, where people ask for this feature, but I did not find a workaround for this, at least none I understood. Could please someone explain me, how this could be done.

All I want:

1. prepare my master-page with "Picture Frame Rectangle Tool" elements, give them borders, shadows, ... set how it should be filled with the image, ...
  2. place images in pages in the prepared "Picture Frame Rectangle Tool", so all placed images look the same way

How would be the workflow for this like now?

Is there an eta for this feature to be added?

THANKS

Erwin

7 minutes ago, ekweb said:

All I want:

1. prepare my master-page with "Picture Frame Rectangle Tool" elements, give them borders, shadows, ... set how it should be filled with the image, ...
  2. place images in pages in the prepared "Picture Frame Rectangle Tool", so all placed images look the same way

How would be the workflow for this like now?

Hello @ekweb,

there is no known time schedule if and when this will be added. But I assume they are working on something in that direction.

Currently it is not possible to place a picture frame on a master page that then has different content on different pages that share the same master page. Master page items are common to all pages.

If you want to create some kind of standard frame that can quickly be applied to many pictures you can use Assets. Create a picture frame with all the decoration you want and add it to an asset library. Then you drag this on your page, switch to the Picture Frame Tool and click on 'Replace Image'. Perhaps you have to adjust position and size of the image. That's it.

Additionally you could have guides on your master page to exactly position the picture frames on all pages.

An alternative way would be to place a picture frame with all the styling on the master page and place the picture(s) themselfs on top of the master page in the layout. As long as the picture frame does not have features that need to be visible above the image this could work also.

I admit, both ways are workarounds :)

d.

Affinity Designer 1 & 2   |   Affinity Photo 1 & 2   |   Affinity Publisher 1 & 2
Affinity Designer 2 for iPad   |   Affinity Photo 2 for iPad   |   Affinity Publisher 2 for iPad

Windows 11 64-bit - Core i7 - 16GB - Intel HD Graphics 4600 & NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M
iPad pro 9.7" + Apple Pencil

43 minutes ago, dominik said:

If you want to create some kind of standard frame that can quickly be applied to many pictures you can use Assets. Create a picture frame with all the decoration you want and add it to an asset library. Then you drag this on your page, switch to the Picture Frame Tool and click on 'Replace Image'. Perhaps you have to adjust position and size of the image. That's it.

If that asset is an empty picture frame then "replace image" should not be needed, as it won't have one. Just use the Place Image tool to select the initial image, and click in the frame with the cursor, as usual.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

1 hour ago, walt.farrell said:

If that asset is an empty picture frame then "replace image" should not be needed, as it won't have one. Just use the Place Image tool to select the initial image, and click in the frame with the cursor, as usual.

You may be right. When I tried this before posting I added the asset with a picture in the picture frame. I found it somewhat more logical to replace an image but this is not a requirement to make it work.

d.

Affinity Designer 1 & 2   |   Affinity Photo 1 & 2   |   Affinity Publisher 1 & 2
Affinity Designer 2 for iPad   |   Affinity Photo 2 for iPad   |   Affinity Publisher 2 for iPad

Windows 11 64-bit - Core i7 - 16GB - Intel HD Graphics 4600 & NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M
iPad pro 9.7" + Apple Pencil

• 1 month later...

Hi,

I'm creating a photo book and therefore looking for the same feature as ekweb to ensure that the size and location of photos is consistent across multiple pages. I'm new to Publisher (running build 227 on macOS Mojave) and naively added Picture Frame Rectangles to a double-wide Master page and merrily proceeded to add lots of pages off this Master, each with different images. It all seemed to work fine. However, when I opened the Resource Manager, none of the images are listed. As an experiment, I moved the image folder and to my surprise, nothing changed in the document -- all of the images stayed in place. Since I specified "Prefer Linked" when creating the document, how is that possible. I've read all the Help and Forum bits I can find but what does/does not work is unclear. I realize Publisher is Beta so I don't actually need to know what's going on but it's very confusing. I guess my real question is -- will Picture Frame Rectangles work at GA?

Thanks,

Doug

• Affinity Publisher 2.0.4
  • Affinity Photo 2.0.4
  • Affinity Designer 2.0.4
  • Affinity Designer for iPad 1.10.16
  • MacBook Air (M1, 2020) running macOS Ventura v13.0.1
  • Nikon D7100 with 18-135mm zoom

http://www.dojopico.org

14 minutes ago, afdojo said:

I'm creating a photo book and therefore looking for the same feature as ekweb to ensure that the size and location of photos is consistent across multiple pages. I'm new to Publisher (running build 227 on macOS Mojave) and naively added Picture Frame Rectangles to a double-wide Master page and merrily proceeded to add lots of pages off this Master, each with different images. It all seemed to work fine. However, when I opened the Resource Manager, none of the images are listed. As an experiment, I moved the image folder and to my surprise, nothing changed in the document -- all of the images stayed in place. Since I specified "Prefer Linked" when creating the document, how is that possible. I've read all the Help and Forum bits I can find but what does/does not work is unclear. I realize Publisher is Beta so I don't actually need to know what's going on but it's very confusing. I guess my real question is -- will Picture Frame Rectangles work at GA?

I would start by upgrading to the latest version of Publisher beta. .238 is the current one, from earlier today.

Its release notes indicate they've fixed the problem you're having.

-- Walt
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.

Walt,

Thanks -- you're correct. I re-added the Picture Frames to the double-wide Master page and then, for each interior page, dragged the two images from the old per-page Picture Frames to the new Master Picture Frames and then deleted the old (now empty) Picture Frames on each page. As you suggested, the Resource Manager now lists all of the jpg files and shows them as linked. Thanks for the heads up and link.

I've now got some reading to do w.r.t. Master pages, symbols, linking and syncing and all that. One each interior page, under the Master page, some of the Picture Frame layers have a solid vertical orange bar and some have a dashed vertical orange bar. I'm not sure why or the implications but it's probably caused by some difference in the steps I used to drag the images from the old frames to the new Master frames.

Again, thanks for your help.

• Affinity Publisher 2.0.4
  • Affinity Photo 2.0.4
  • Affinity Designer 2.0.4
  • Affinity Designer for iPad 1.10.16
  • MacBook Air (M1, 2020) running macOS Ventura v13.0.1
  • Nikon D7100 with 18-135mm zoom

http://www.dojopico.org

36 minutes ago, afdojo said:

some of the Picture Frame layers have a solid vertical orange bar and some have a dashed vertical orange bar. I'm not sure why or the implications

The solid bar indicates fully synchronized symbols, and the broken bar indicates symbols with partially unlinked attributes.

Ideally, with the new Master support (which is documented in the Help files) people can stop thinking about symbols per se when thinking about Master pages, and use the Master pages as Serif intends without needing to invent alternatives using internal details of how the pages are implemented.

-- Walt
PC: