You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Hi,

I'm new to Photo (have played with simpler photo edit tools like PSE) but now I like to do something a bit more complex such as a tricky sky replacement; it might even deserve a Video.

Three images are attached one of which is the desired outcome but not done very well (it is merely there to explain what I'm after - Pictures are better than a 1000 words). There is a beach shot with overhanging casuarina trees and a sky picture with a couple of ducks flying in an evening sky.

Yes you guessed right I like to see the duck-sky behind the casuarinas replacing the blue sky. My attempts (working for many days - I'm 80+ and retired) need much improvements.

Anyone out there giving it a go by listing procedures involved or sample (by way of "....afphototo set"). There are a view examples out there like "Insanely Difficult Sky Replacement ... PhotoShop" but I have not been able to  do the same due to inexperience in Affinity Photo.

So here you have a challenge?

Sigi (sigifpc@gmail.com)

PS: the sky duck shot is slightly different to show the birds without the tree interference.

EOS30D-20090705-06.jpg

EOS30D-20090705-06 pink sky.jpg

Sky and Ducks.jpg

I came in from a different angle, so instead of using the sky, I used the ducks and recoloured the image to give a better sunset effect.

1. Dragged the duck & sunset image into the beach scene
  2. Rasterised the duck and sunset layer
  3. Selected the ducks with the Magic selection wand and copy/pasted to a new layer then added a bit of gaussian blur because of the pixelation.
  4. deleted the duck and sunset layer
  5. Duplicated the beach scene
  6.  Added a recolour adjustment layer to the beach scene and changed the Recolour Adjustment layers blend mode to Average and set the sliders to Hue: 20.3º and Saturation to 100%
  7. I duplicate the recolour adjustment layer and changed its blend mode to Colour, I kept the hue at 20.3 and dropped the saturation to 38% this intensified the colours a bit more.
  8. I added a mask and applied a gradient of white to one handle and #BC5100 the other handle
  9. I positioned the #BC5100 coloured handle half way up the beach and the white coloured handle near the horizon

Job done.

Screen-Shot-2019-01-06-at-09-02-45.png

Sunset and ducks.afphoto Saved with history so you can jog back and forth in the history panel. 

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  
B| (Please refrain from licking the screen while using this forum)

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

1 hour ago, firstdefence said:

I came in from a different angle, so instead of using the sky, I used the ducks and recoloured the image to give a better sunset effect

Sounds like you are just ducking the OPs original question ;)

Windows PCs. Photo and Designer, latest non-beta versions.

Just now, toltec said:

Sounds like you are just ducking the OPs original question ;)

That's just quackers O.o 

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

2 hours ago, IanSG said:

The quality of these replies is really going down!

They have just migrated south for the winter, but they are still sky high. So no harm, no fowl.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

Hi everyone,

be it ducks, swans or flying pigs I like what "first defence" has done. It is not always that the copiers win and a different approach is always appreciated, this is what makes us tick. Thank you so much I will now try the same method. In the meantimeI had another go using the method described by Rick Peterson writing for Adobe PSE.

Once I got the hang of translating from PSE to Affinity it worked out reasonable. Rick is using the trees to make a black and white but even then I had todo tweaking due the the original blue shining thru. 

I attach my result as a flattened image. Thanks again and I like the humour and word play.

PS: refining the selection gave me some trouble.

EOS30D-20090705-06 RPetersonMask.jpg

EOS30D-20090705-06 RPetersonMask.afphoto

Nicely done sigific those tree strands were a nightmare, that's why I changed tack. Another thing to take into consideration is how the light would play on reflective surfaces (The ocean) and on non reflective surfaces (the Sand) I suppose the only way to do that is to take a look at sunset beach scenes for a reference point.

So although the water would retain its blue, it would also have reflective colours from the sky and to a point mirror that colouring, I think the sand would actually be much less affected but actually be darker and more shaded (maybe bluer).

These sort of projects really make you think don't they?

8 hours ago, firstdefence said:

Nicely done sigific those tree strands were a nightmare, that's why I changed tack.

It's a bit less nightmarish if you make the selection on the blue channel only - there's more contrast between the twigs and the background.

AP, AD & APub user, running Win10

There was something missing from all of the images we have produced, that made the image not look right and that is a hot spot in the sky to mirror the the highlight band on the ocean, the image didn't make sense, even though in the original there isn't a hotspot in view, but because the sky is different it would make sense to place a setting sun or at least a glow off to the right of the image.

I have taken all your comments on board especially the direction of light source and possible effects from the red sky and its reflections on the landscape as well as water. Looks like I took a big bite by selecting images of such opposing moods (have to go back to Aus and wait for a bunch of ibises taking to the wings on a pink sky over the Dundowran Beach). 

By the way I called the birds erroneously ducks -they are ibis- the original shot bore that out.

Thanks, Sigi