You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Big gap at the top of the adjustment panel

On 1/7/2019 at 2:42 AM, Chris B said:

I've just reproduced this by:

1. Expand all the Adjustments
  2. Undock the Adjustments Panel
  3. Dock it again
  4. Levels and White Balance should be missing. 

I can repo this every time now. I'll update the developers.

It's good to know you can now reproduce this. Surprising more people haven't reported from the first time @manu schwendener wrote about it. Didn't realize it was missing a few of the adjustment options.

9 hours ago, KipV said:

It's good to know you can now reproduce this. Surprising more people haven't reported from the first time @manu schwendener wrote about it. Didn't realize it was missing a few of the adjustment options.

If it requires undocking and then redocking that panel I'm not at all surprised more people haven't hit it. Most probably leave it docked.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

1 hour ago, manu schwendener said:

> If it requires undocking and then redocking

That's just how he could reproduce it.

All I do is use the adjustment tools and sometimes the display gets messed up and some times it doesn't (I never undock).

Yes, I rarely undock the panel as well. Undocking wasn't the problem the last time this showed up.

9 hours ago, fde101 said:

I have to wonder what percentage of people actually use the Adjustment studio?

Just curious...  I almost never use that, I just add the layers using the menu on the Layers studio when I want them.

The adjustment panel allows you to make large incremental changes before getting in the fine tuning which is nice when photos are often far off.

As far as I can tell, the adjustment panel creates adjustment layers and offers presets for those layers.  The presets are the only functional provision they offer that is not directly accessible from the Layers studio panel.

I actually closed mine because I don't really use the presets and see the panel as a waste of screen real-estate, though I can definitely understand that some people would benefit from the presets as a starting point.

1 hour ago, fde101 said:

I actually closed mine because I don't really use the presets and see the panel as a waste of screen real-estate, though I can definitely understand that some people would benefit from the presets as a starting point.

It doesn't take up any more space really, just makes the words a bit more compact. But then I don't usually work from a small screen if I can help it.

10 hours ago, fde101 said:

As far as I can tell, the adjustment panel creates adjustment layers and offers presets for those layers.  The presets are the only functional provision they offer that is not directly accessible from the Layers studio panel.

No, the differences are:

- Each has an icon to easily and quickly see what it does.

- They don't have to be hidden under a drop down menu.

- They don't have to be partially hidden where you are forced to scroll down the list.

- You can drag the panel out so it is visual all the time. Especially useful on larger screens.

- You can see both the layers panel and adjustment panel at the same time rather than one covering the other up.

- And like you said they have presets. Someone else can probably find even more differences.

Those are practical / ease-of-use features, not really functional ones (other than the presets).

I do most of these types of basic "global" adjustments in the software which I use to catalog my photos (and develop the RAW files) so I have less need for them in Affinity Photo than would someone who is doing the entire process in Photo, and the screen real-estate that it takes up in Photo I would rather use for other things.  While I do like having access to the adjustment layers when I need them, the popup menu in the layers palette is sufficient for my purposes.

If you are doing the entire process in Affinity Photo then that is a somewhat different story (it is a bug regardless, and fixing all bugs should always take priority over adding any new features to anything, I was just curious as to how many people actually made heavy use of this panel - obviously there are some who do; it doesn't really help me much because of how I work with my photos).

Hi KIP,

This "adjustment-panel" is NOT a PRESET-SELECTOR in the way you maybe want: This is an automatic create new adjustment to your current layer. Well, you can skip prestes DURING this "automated adjustment layer" is selected, but after you go to another layer and switch back, this will create a new adjustment-layer... sometimes you have 24 HSL nested/or topover each over.... I do not know, for me its extrem confusing....

A better way would be: As often THIS adjustment (or filter) is selected, the normal box of it is shown. BUT you can now surf trough ALL avaible prestes by just click the first symbol (only for this instances -> if you have eg. 7 levels... there is no confusing...just the current one will affected...)!!!!

#######

First symbol = open ALL presets for this tool (now its open and you see all presets in the current group/subgroup and you can scroll if there are are more...)

2.symbol (camera) create new preset

3.symbol (office-save-like) OVERWRITE THIS preset

4. symbol (Arrow back) RESET this preset

5. I forgot a symbol - a TRASH (= deleting the current preset). In ABSOLUT difference to the  "DELETE" (unhappy translated "Löschen")... which is meaning "close and delete this layer"... not delete the preset or whatever....

6. If you click the upper line with the names... a presest editor will open, where you can reorder/rename/regroup... batch-delete/move(import/export)...SMART-Folder... whatever you know from finder/explorer, but with the filter of just the current tool-presets. 

7. SMART-Folder are maybe a good way to organize different stuff. I do not need x-duplictes inx-categorys... i just need some items in several places. Espacilly for brushes --- i OVERALL need my "default" brushes as brush, razor, smudge.... I do not need copies... i just create some smart-attributes... and this brush is availebe EVERYWHERE... as brush, eraeser, smudge....!  BTW: pixel-brush will use the SAME "brush" as eraser with CMD - why is zthis useful feature not avaible for "regular" brushes?????? As long ti hold (eg. CMD) the current "brush" will use for ALL (razor, smude, color-change...) 

OF COURSE THE SYMBOLS /THE TRANSLATION ARE JUST ROUGH SUGGESTIONS... THAT COULD BE BETTER... but the idea/concept should be so or better become  real!

########

BTW: The translation "LÖSCHEN" is very confusing in this case. What this "delete" does is "close the adjustment, DELETE this layer!" But it never DELETE a preset or something other. It just "DELETES" itself (its layer). A better (meaning) translation would be "ENTFERNEN" (or short "Entf."), or (if not so correct, but better meaning) just SUICIDE (Selbstmord), delete me, x-me, trash-me, kill-me, x-z... or löschmich"! 

Bildschirmfoto 2019-01-15 um 21.57.28.jpg

OSX 12.5  / iMac Retina 27" / Radeon Pro 580X / Metall: on! --- WWG1WGA WW!

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.