You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

affinity publisher hyphenation/spellcheck in Croatian language

You're welcome. Good to hear it's working now.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

4 minutes ago, Iztok said:

I see that better option is taht install -dic in Affinity publisher content/Resources/Dictionarry - also create folder (sl_SI ) for Slovenian language

Are you saying that you would prefer that Serif ship spelling dictionaries for all the world's languages built-in, so users don't have to install languages themselves?

-- Walt
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.

11 minutes ago, Tomasz Petrycki said:

Is there anybody who sucseed instaling hyphenation on Windows computer? I will apreciate some answer. I tried many times, but it doesen't work at all.

Have you followed the instructions for installing the dictionaries in the FAQ?

If so, please tell us what language, and where you downloaded the dictionary files from. And a screenshot of a File Explorer window showing the directory and files would help.

Also, if you have a small .afpub file where the hyphenation does not work for you, that would help, too.

-- Walt
PC:

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/9/2019 at 11:18 AM, Eisbar said:

I tried again and again, played al little - now it is working. Thank you for your help!!

Hope that in the final Version this will work better!

thanks for help! 

Hi Eisbar, what have you done, I tried everything what is in this post, but still have same issue - it doesn't work. I'm running on windows 7, AF 1.8.2.

When I go Preferences>Auto-Correct> and chose Croatian, there is nothing. 

Bok qazar, 

ja sam sve napravio kako su druge pisali na ovom forumu (na Macu) i sad radi....

1. Je li folder sa hrvatskim rijecniku na pravoj adresi?
  2. ima ispravno ime?
  3. mislim da nista ne trebas mijenjati u preferencesu (Windows??) na Macu je preferences samo sa UserInterface
  4. vidi na slici sto moras ukljuciti: bitno: u prozoru CHSETS moras ukljuciti i!! u PARAGRAPH. Onda treba raditi. 

Nadam se da sad radi. Ako ne - slobodno se javi!

lijepi pozdrav. Christoph. GOD is good 

Bildschirmfoto 2020-03-31 um 12.31.19.jpg

3 hours ago, qazaar said:

Hi Eisbar, what have you done, I tried everything what is in this post, but still have same issue - it doesn't work. I'm running on windows 7, AF 1.8.2.

When I go Preferences>Auto-Correct> and chose Croatian, there is nothing. 

At last I succeed! It works. Litle help below:

• name of the folder created in c:\ProgramData\Affinity\Common\1.0\Dictionaries\ should be xx-XX, not xx_XX. Must be a hyphen.
  • files should be taken from latest OpenOffice instalation from: AppData\Roaming\OpenOffice\4\user\extensions\tmp\extensions\svl7igv4.tmp_\
  • Folder indicated in Publisher's preferences should be: c:\ProgramData\Affinity\Common\1.0\Dictionaries\

Windows 10. I don't know how should it be in Win 7

19 hours ago, Tomasz Petrycki said:

At last I succeed! It works. Litle help below:

• name of the folder created in c:\ProgramData\Affinity\Common\1.0\Dictionaries\ should be xx-XX, not xx_XX. Must be a hyphen.
  • files should be taken from latest OpenOffice instalation from: AppData\Roaming\OpenOffice\4\user\extensions\tmp\extensions\svl7igv4.tmp_\
  • Folder indicated in Publisher's preferences should be: c:\ProgramData\Affinity\Common\1.0\Dictionaries\

Windows 10. I don't know how should it be in Win 7

Tnx. I was aware that it should be hr-HR, but it was not working. Yesterday got file form a friend, 'hr_HR', and it's working perfectly. IDK. 

3 hours ago, qazaar said:

I was aware that it should be hr-HR, but it was not working. Yesterday got file form a friend, 'hr_HR', and it's working perfectly. IDK. 

Some languages seem to require the - and some seem to require the _ but I've never figured out why.

-- Walt
PC:

• 6 months later...

Hi, I have problems with Croatian dictionary, as well. It worked fine with Publisher 1.8.4, but with 1.8.5.703, I can't get it to work. I did all of the suggestions here, created folder, named it hr_HR (even tried hr-HR), pasted tri files, but it simply does not recognize Croatian dictionary! I lost hours here, it drives me crazy :) Any help would be appreciated.

Thank you

2020-10-07.png

2020-10-07 (4).png

2020-10-07 (3).png

2020-10-07 (2).png

2020-10-07 (1).png

• 10 months later...
13 minutes ago, Eisbar said:

but how to download them?

If you're talking about the LibreOffice dictionaries on GitHub, follow the instructions in the Affinity FAQ very carefully:

-- Walt
PC:

1 minute ago, Eisbar said:

on Mac there is no option to save as file *.aff - just txt or webarchive!

They're all text files, so if Mac doesn't let you specify the complete file name (perhaps by putting it in " marks?) then just save it as txt and rename it later.

-- Walt
PC:

• 1 year later...

Ok, so I've downloaded and installed files for Indonesian, however I cannot get the language to function. I can select it in the paragraph styles or character palettes but spell checking doesn't occur (all words become squiggly underlined) for spelling and hyphenation, so clearly something is wrong (I'm using Publisher V2 but don't think this has altered anything). I've positioned the hyphenation dictionary in both suggested locations (within Publisher Package > Dictionaries and/or User Library > Spelling) and placed the .aff and .dic files in "Spelling" too.

Can anyone offer any help? (language is supplied so I'm happy its OK and specify as "None" to clear irritating errors, but would be happier if the language would function as the built in examples do and that Publisher could offer hyphenation where necessary automatically.

Frustrated!

Screenshot 2023-02-22 at 10.29.21.png

Screenshot 2023-02-22 at 10.29.34.png

Screenshot 2023-02-22 at 10.30.00.png

Screenshot 2023-02-22 at 16.10.05.png

Mac Studio M1 Max 32GB RAM running Sonoma 14.2.1
ASUS ProArt screen and Hewlett Packard HD second screen. 
Affinity Suite 2.4.0 and Beta releases

16 minutes ago, Like, would like more if… said:

Ok, so I've downloaded and installed files for Indonesian,

You probably downloaded them in the wrong format. 

But first, a comment: you should not be messing around with files in the Resources folder (second Finder screenshot). The FAQ tells you where the files need to go.

My guess: You used the FAQ and from the first post in it you found GitHub and downloaded the files. But it is common to miss part of the instructions and get them downloaded in the wrong format. The files are also available from the second post in the FAQ, in the correct format.

To see if they're in the correct format, browser the .dic and .aff files with a text editor. If they look like HTML, you downloaded them incorrectly. They need to look like plain text.

-- Walt
PC:

23 minutes ago, walt.farrell said:

You probably downloaded them in the wrong format.

To see if they're in the correct format, browser the .dic and .aff files with a text editor. If they look like HTML, you downloaded them incorrectly. They need to look like plain text.

Excellent Walt, really appreciate your rapid response and accurate assumptions! All looking good now. (messing with the resources was a misguide from elsewhere… when you're desperate you'll try anything, ill advised or not!)

Mac Studio M1 Max 32GB RAM running Sonoma 14.2.1
ASUS ProArt screen and Hewlett Packard HD second screen. 
Affinity Suite 2.4.0 and Beta releases