You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

I  recently replaced an iMac 27' (2011) with a 5k iMac - the display is gorgeous, and everything in AD runs butter smooth (I also opted for the better graphics card and the better processor). I'd say it's the perfect machine for work with graphics and photos (it's great to see the photos of my 20 MP camera on that display). I thought about buying a Mac Pro as well, but those have rather "old" graphic cards inside and an extra 5k display would cost another fortune.

You wont regret buying the 5k iMac, it's a wonderful machine - also reading is easier on the eyes and don't we all read lots of forums, news etc. on the computer now?

If you're doing professional work though, you should calibrate the iMac (e.g. with a Spyder Pro) - it's set way too cool to be super bright - which looks nice but you're eyes will adjust incorrectly. After calibrating everything looked wrong and yellowish, but after a few hours of working with it white is white again and greys don't look like beige any more. So printouts (or even a softproof) won't give you unwanted surprises ...

Affinity Designer is running great on my late 2009 27" iMac. (2.8 GHz Intel Core i7 processor and 8 GB DDR3 Memory).

It's always tricky knowing when to jump in on a new machine.   (There are already rumors that an 8k screen is in the works!)

It seems that no matter how hard we try to keep on top of it all, whatever machine we purchase ends up being a block of ice that quietly and dutifully "melts" into obsolescence over the period of just a few short years.

I'm kinda waiting to see what happens with USB-C.  It might turn out to be a port that would be good to have on a new machine.

But having said that - the 5K looks spectacular.

Here's a 5 star review that seconds Achim63's first hand experience:

http://appleinsider.com/articles/14/11/10/review-apples-27-inch-imac-with-retina-5k-display-

• Staff

The colour gamut available on the new 5k iMac's screen is insanely large - it is reportedly amongst the best screens ever produced, so I'm surprised if you couldn't get it to do what you wanted? Did they say why you would need a second monitor for press/print work - it sounds a bit odd?

I can see Andy's 5k iMac every day and it continues to impress - it is such a good screen.

I'm not sure either why your consultants would recommend a second monitor.

Did they say why?

A quick caveat before you buy:

I don't think the current iteration of the 5k iMac can drive an external 5k display.   :(  (Please correct me if I am wrong).

So, if you were to acquire a 5k iMac at this point in time, your second monitor(s) would have to be a lower resolution than 5k.

It could be the upcoming iMacs will have USB-C connectors capable of driving external 5k monitors.

It looks like the latest version of Yosemite (10.10.3) will support Dell's 5k display (Dell UP2715K) on the Retina 5k iMac (27 inch, Late 2014).

(The Mac Pro (late 2013), also supports this display with 10.10.3).

The Dell UP2715K is a dual cable display, (It requires two Display Port cables connected to get full resolution)

Not sure if that would cause any hiccups - seems like a bit of a workaround solution.  

https://support.apple.com/en-ca/HT202856