You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Cropping outside the image and Inpainting

I have an image that I straightened in Capture One (12) by “cropping outside the image”.  After cropping, I sent the image to AP 1.6.7 and attempted to “Inpaint” the missing area.  While the process works great if I send the image to AP before I attempt to straighten it, if I “crop outside the image” in C1 and then send it to AP, the “Inpaint” command is grayed out.

Thank for your quick response.  However, I told it it worked fine if I had gone directly to AP before I attempted to Inpaint, so I know about going to Select > Alpha Range > Select Partially Transparent. But as I said, Inpaint is grayed out following the process that you outlined.

HVDB,

Thank you again, that does work, I was just trying to explore an alternative process.  

Since your first response, I continued to play and I have now solved the grayed-out Inpaint command. This time after I sent it to AP, I used the eraser tool on the expanded area.  Using the erasure tool converted the expanded area into "Partially transparent" and then the Inpatient was no longer grayed-out.  While this worked is is definitely more convoluted than it is worth, so I'll stick to the process that you suggested.

Is the image on an "Image" layer if so right click on that layer and select Rasterise.

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  
B| (Please refrain from licking the screen while using this forum)

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

20 hours ago, Big_Stan said:

Since your first response, I continued to play and I have now solved the grayed-out Inpaint command. This time after I sent it to AP, I used the eraser tool on the expanded area.  Using the erasure tool converted the expanded area into "Partially transparent" and then the Inpatient was no longer grayed-out

I think you may have inadvertently rasterised the image layer by using the eraser.

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  
B| (Please refrain from licking the screen while using this forum)

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

WRT your response, "I think you may have inadvertently rasterised the image layer by using the eraser.". While I may have inadvertently rasterized the image, my process worked.  Kind of clumsy and convoluted, but it worked.

I am trying to figure out how to do it entirely within Capture One without having to go to Affinity.  Right now I perform all of my image adjustment, except for straightening, in C1 and then "round trip" to AP for the straightening and Inpainting.  This process works, I am just trying to determine if there is another viable option.

Thank you