You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Macros have lost critical layer selection (V1.6 > 1.7)

In Ver1.6, I could select the top layer and Affinity would seek confirmation that I wanted to "Select layer 1from top" [1st jpg].  I could then add a pixel layer above that, consolidate all the layers, then outline it by 5 pixels and fill that inwards (creating a red stroked edge). I could then expand the canvas (which unfortunately left a white expansion instead of the required black - another required enhancement).  However I could get around that by then adding a new pixel layer directly below the top (consolidated and stroked) layer using "Select layer 1 below current" [2nd jpg] and fill that with black.

In Ver1.7 , I am blocked from accessing the top layer [3rd jpg].  After clicking on the various layers, the best I can finally find is an option that allows me to select the parent layer - but that doesn't seem to allow me to achieve what I could above.

Not sure what you are trying to achieve, but you have completely blocked my requirements and what is currently working just fine for me in Ver 1.6.

Affinity 1.6 1.JPG

Affinity 1.6 2.JPG

Affinity 1.7.JPG

• Staff

Hey Don - NZ,

The only difference I'm seeing is in this scenario:

1. I have 3 layers 
  2. Select the middle layer (so I get options to select bottom or top layer(s)
  3. Begin recording the macro
  4. Click the top layer
  5. Message appears with 'Cannot select layer by name (unnamed / not siblings)
  6. Repeat steps 1 to 5 in the release version
  7. Message now suggested I can 'Select layer named "xxxxxx"

It might be helpful if you could record a video of what happens in release and what happens in the beta as I'm not 100% sure about your workflow. This will also help the developers. If a video isn't possible, could you provide a document along with clear steps.

Thanks for posting. 

9 hours ago, Chris B said:

Hey Don - NZ,

The only difference I'm seeing is in this scenario:

1. I have 3 layers 
  2. Select the middle layer (so I get options to select bottom or top layer(s)
  3. Begin recording the macro
  4. Click the top layer
  5. Message appears with 'Cannot select layer by name (unnamed / not siblings)
  6. Repeat steps 1 to 5 in the release version
  7. Message now suggested I can 'Select layer named "xxxxxx"

It might be helpful if you could record a video of what happens in release and what happens in the beta as I'm not 100% sure about your workflow. This will also help the developers. If a video isn't possible, could you provide a document along with clear steps.

Thanks for posting. 

Hello Chris

Embarrassed - I can't repeat it today - everything is now behaving as it does in Ver1.6 (being able to nominate the layer required), yet the other day, I was getting blocked every time I tried to record a macro and select the top layer and the one below it.  They are the same two images, so there must have been something unusual that occurred to trigger the behaviour but so far I can't think what.  Please consider the issue closed until I come across it again.

• Staff
11 hours ago, Don - NZ said:

Please consider the issue closed until I come across it again.

Will do. If it happens again, please see if you can provide a quick screen recording just so we can get it straight to the developers with a clear view of what you're struggling with. Cheers :) 

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.