You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Transform/resize by percentage?

Hello Moonliner,

You can enter the formula directly in one of the object's dimension windows.
For example, for an object 75 * 45, by typing 75+25%, the object will be resized to 93.75.
Don't forget to close the padlock to lock the proportions. 

Redimensionnement échelle.jpg

14 hours ago, reglico said:

Hello Moonliner,

You can enter the formula directly in one of the object's dimension windows.
For example, for an object 75 * 45, by typing 75+25%, the object will be resized to 93.75.

Redimensionnement échelle.jpg

Padlock ? O.o

Must be one of those 'Lost in translation' things :P

ff.jpg.1765261358c7b4f0f63018281ad8441b.jpg

Windows PCs. Photo and Designer, latest non-beta versions.

14 minutes ago, toltec said:

Padlock O.o

Must be one of those 'Lost in translation" things' :P

Hello toltec,

You're right, the term is not correct but it's not a translation mistake, I really meant padlock, I don't know why, maybe because when writing the message I was on a drawing and I had just locked some layers (with the padlock of course)!

4 hours ago, reglico said:

FWIW, that symbol is intended to represent 3 links of a chain, which I suppose is why in the English language help topic for the Transform panel, it is identified as "Link."

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

I'm clear on the chain/padlock, ha ha! However it appears that a valuable feature is missing in Designer that exists in all other programs I know of. Perhaps we can get it on the wish list for suggested feature upgrades?

In other programs you can free-resize something by grabbing a corner handle and stretching or shrinking and either watch a changing percentage box as you scale OR see an end result percentage of change. This allows for eyeballing a design when you don't already know a given percentage that you want to resize by. Once the size looks good, you now have the percentage of change that you can use for other items as desired, using your 75+25% method.

Now that I know how Designer works I can do multiple +% trial and error guesses but the other method is a real time saver.

Thanks everyone.

• 4 years later...
  • 1 month later...

I need a little clarification. I am on the Transform box and I am resizing the individual image layers by entering percentages. (Width and Height are locked.) I don't see in the preferences to add percentage units in addition to the other units. So, in the Transform box I enter a percentage number to resize the image. If I enter 100% nothing will happen because my image layer is 100%. Yes, that's what I expect. So, I enter a different percentage, the image layer is resized, but then the Transform box no longer shows the new number of percentage, and instead it shows me the other units that it's been transformed to. If I use the Shear tool, it remembers the amount of shear I have used and I can revert back to the original 0 degrees, but this isn't the case when I scale, because I have no percentage display?

@jmsjms In the case of Image Layers (and other placed / embedded layer types) you can actually see the Scaling percentage on the context toolbar, and there is even a handy Original Size button to reset to 100%.

image.png.434802579f636335696dbd99e61cbfab.png

For other types of object, I don't believe that the Scaling is stored (or if it is, it is not accessible to the user), so there is no way to return a pixel layer, or curve (for example) to the size at which it was originally created.

Win10 Home x64   |   AMD Ryzen 7 2700X @ 3.7GHz   |   48 GB RAM   |   1TB SSD   |   nVidia GTX 1660   |   Wacom Intuos Pro

8 hours ago, jmsjms said:

So, I enter a different percentage, the image layer is resized, but then the Transform box no longer shows the new number of percentage, and instead it shows me the other units that it's been transformed to.

Percentages are not units. They are just one of the many types of expressions that can be used to modify or set field inputs, so they are not stand alone units that can be retained in the Transform panel once they have been used.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

• 4 weeks later...

The scaling is definitely stored, but for whatever reason is not available to the user.

Affinity is built for non-destructive workflow from the get go - if I scale down a pixel layer, its pixel are not in fact lost. That makes it even weirder that I can never restore a pixel layer to its native size, making it essentially a destructive workflow just because this one piece of information is inaccessible to me.

Maybe I am 'supposed' to be linking to external bitmaps rather than creating them from within the app? I wish there were more start-to-finish tutorials so I could better understand what the process is supposed to be like. As it is, I am baffled that a low-hanging UX feature such as this is omitted.

1 hour ago, iLKke said:

I can never restore a pixel layer to its native size […] just because this one piece of information is inaccessible to me.

Actually, it is at disposal (see below*) — but it could be easier if we hadn't to make the maths ourselves or if we had a Resize to original size button, like what we have for (frame) images…

image.png.ca8980ff66259b8660de9c35aa6649f1.png

* In fact, if we divide the document resolution (dpi=PPP) by the pixel layer resolution (dpi=ppp), we get the scale — but why do we have to calculate it on our own?

PNG50-Capturedcran2024-02-1300_17_04.png.94764cec7a666a67df27c62ae7c48c70.png

Affinity Suite 2.4 – Monterey 12.7.4 – MacBookPro 14" 2021 M1 Pro 16Go/1To

I apologise for any approximations in my English. It is not my mother tongue.