You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

What do you mean by crop?

1. Trim an area of the photo's 
  2. Resize images to a particular size

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  
B| (Please refrain from licking the screen while using this forum)

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

• 5 months later...
On 1/5/2019 at 1:36 AM, HVDB Photography said:

Did you watch this video ?

Hello, could you please provide a link to this video? I have problems with embedded videos and would like to look at this and other tutorials on Vimeo.com . But in just trying to search on vimeo.com for Affinity Photo Batch Processing, all I get as a return result is "Affinity Photo 1.5 sneak peek" 

Screen Shot 2019-06-10 at 1.52.53 PM.png

• 3 years later...

so based on these explanations, it seems there is no way to batch crop in affinity photo
this batch method works on already separate and adjusted image files, which is what we want to actually do using layers en masse
this batch workflow simple resizes the images, not cropping them

the general workflow problem is this:

you have a bunch of images, with various sizes, and you want to crop off the edges to make them all uniform

you drop in the stack into affinity photo -> it doesn't center them, you have to manually align them using select all layers and Arrange (center, middle)

you then resize all layers together so the varying edges are outside the canvas (could be smaller as well)

you then want to save each layer to file, letting the save crop to canvas size -> not possible in affinity studio

ok, then you try go to export persona -> it expects you to manually resize the slice for each layer -> no go with 50-100 layers

you go to new batch job -> no crop option, no export pr layer

this is an extremely common thing when dealing with multiple images and photos, and should be efficient to do in photo edit app

3 hours ago, zynexis said:

you then resize all layers together so the varying edges are outside the canvas 

From that point onwards....

Select > Select All will only select the canvas area

With the selection still active...

Select all layers and Copy

Then File > New from Clipboard

All layers in the new document are now cropped to the canvas size

Is the above what you are trying to achieve?

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.

3 hours ago, zynexis said:

ok, then you try go to export persona -> it expects you to manually resize the slice for each layer -> no go with 50-100 layers

Just export all layers as they are

Then run a batch job with a macro attached which does Document > Clip Canvas on all the above exported files

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.

8 minutes ago, carl123 said:

All layers in the new document are now cropped to the canvas size

when i do this, the layers in the new doc are not cropped (ctrl + c)

ctrl + a (full canvas selection)

select all layers

ctrl + c

new from clipboard

layers are not cropped

3 minutes ago, zynexis said:

layers are not cropped

Weird, they are cropped for me

Do you have a sample document you could upload to the forum so I can see your exact layer setup (just before you try the above)

14 minutes ago, carl123 said:

Just export all layers as they are

Then run a batch job with a macro attached which does Document > Clip Canvas on all the above exported files

this is a terrible workflow, and you still need to go into export persona and assign slicing (which essentially is pointless then)
might as well just run the batch directly on source images with some magic macro that doesn't exist btw until you install or create it
(i assume you mean they also get automatically centered in the batch before clipping?)

i'm not really looking for workarounds, i'm trying to push for something super basic that is used all the time in image workflows

7 minutes ago, carl123 said:

Weird, they are cropped for me

i see a difference, but i think the images are not actually cropped, but rather resized to fit inside the canvas

these are the layers after new from clipboard, they are not equal

and second image shows how they are positioned to be cropped in the main document (cutting off the darker borders)

nocrop.PNG

outside canvas.PNG

OK, you are using image layers this works on pixel layers

You confused me when you said "you drop in the stack into affinity photo"

I thought you were using the File > New Stack option which gives pixel layers

Anyway, have a nice day, I smell bacon so my breakfast must be nearly ready

Bye

2 minutes ago, carl123 said:

OK, you are using image layers this works on pixel layers

right ok, i can see it crops on pixel layers yes

i'm uncertain if you have a layer that is smaller than the canvas, if the macro solution in batch will save the layer at canvas size, since you are inputting a smaller image size

maybe i'll try when i get time, but in any case, having an export layers to images simple function would be massively helpful, since it's a common operation

and thank you, enjoy your bacon breakfast ^-^ bye