You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Slices and multiple sized assets from a single original source

Hi folks,

I'm new to this app and looking into slices to simplify a specific workflow... I can't tell if my failure to figure this out is my unfamiliarity with the app or perhaps it's not meant to do what I want.

A description:

Given: a single source image (may be portrait or landscape)

Wanted: To create n different output assets of different sizes and orientations, with the ability to replace the image for a given size if manual cropping/resizing is insufficient to produce a viable composition. To complicate matters, the use case also has overlays (these images are backgrounds for use in an app that presents on different sized devices) which means that images with lots of negative space need to be massaged more depending on where the "important" parts of the image are.

I've attached a version set (apparently I can't attach all the images, but what did attach shows the range -- the original is 3072x2048 in this case and there's a 2732x1048 that failed as well) that I've done manually in another app to give a visual of the resize/recomposition I'm describing... is there some way I could use slices to import the original once, manipulate the slices individually to create a result like the manual example, then take advantage of the single export to get the workflow improvement I'm looking for? If not, given the description, is there a suggested different approach that might be better than the lather-rinse-repeat of manipulating the frames individually?

Thanks! -brad

fly_geyser_600x600.png

fly_geyser_1242x2208.png

fly_geyser_1920x1080.png

fly_geyser_2048x2732.png

fly_geyser_2208x1242.png

https://bmb.photos | Focus: The unexpected, the abstract, the extreme on screen, paper, & other physical outputTools: macOS (Primary: Ventura, MBP2018), Canon (Primary: 5D3), iPhone (Primary: 14PM), Nikon Film Scanners, Epson Printers

Did you looked the exporting video here, especially there the part about export persona slices? - Not sure where your problem is with those (?), you can setup export slices (select rect areas) and you can define the file format and size for these (note that the size text fields with 1x, 2x etc. are editable, just double click and insert XXXw, XXXh the desired size).

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan
☛ Affinity V2.3 apps ◆ MacOS Sonoma 14.2 ◆ iPad OS 17.2

30 minutes ago, v_kyr said:

Did you looked the exporting video here, especially there the part about export persona slices? - Not sure where your problem is with those (?), you can setup export slices (select rect areas) and you can define the file format and size for these (note that the size text fields with 1x, 2x etc. are editable, just double click and insert XXXw, XXXh the desired size).

Thanks for the response; I did watch that... though it doesn't mean that I learned everything I needed to from it. :-D 

For the cases that are simple resizing (most of the times when the orientation of the original and the output match), I think I have a grasp on how I'd use slices for that. I think it's the mismatch cases (where the orientation doesn't match -- making a portrait version from a landscape image, for one example) where I'm struggling. 

And, as I'm writing this post, I think I see what you mean, though it's unclear if the workflow will be better or not. I'll have to play more with the setup to see. Thank you for the additional perspective on the slice use though.

https://bmb.photos | Focus: The unexpected, the abstract, the extreme on screen, paper, & other physical outputTools: macOS (Primary: Ventura, MBP2018), Canon (Primary: 5D3), iPhone (Primary: 14PM), Nikon Film Scanners, Epson Printers

Related to the original question, assume I can make a given set of slices do what I want... how do I save that slice set to apply to other images? 

I tried creating a custom export setup preset and saving it, but attempting to use that on a different image does not bring in the slice set for me to manipulate.

Is there a way to create multiple slices (6 in my example) as a template and not have to create them by hand each time (edit: I know their positioning will need to be adjusted for each image regardless)?

Well slices are more meant for exporting/saving portions or the whole of images here (layers is another alternative option), but those usally don't change the image orientation as a whole. So it's usually no resamble for image cropping, aka orientation change or the like. - Also saving/loading a slices setup isn't really supported, it's limited so far to clipboard copy/paste usage, as you can see from the 3 buttons and the little hamburger menu on the top right side there. So their reusability is limited here.

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan
☛ Affinity V2.3 apps ◆ MacOS Sonoma 14.2 ◆ iPad OS 17.2

17 hours ago, v_kyr said:

Well slices are more meant for exporting/saving portions or the whole of images here (layers is another alternative option), but those usally don't change the image orientation as a whole. So it's usually no resamble for image cropping, aka orientation change or the like. - Also saving/loading a slices setup isn't really supported, it's limited so far to clipboard copy/paste usage, as you can see from the 3 buttons and the little hamburger menu on the top right side there. So their reusability is limited here.

To be clear, no one promised me slices would do what I want. I was just hoping there was some way to coerce the desired behavior since in reality, it's tantalizingly close overall.

Thanks again for the pointers!