You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Non-destructive "Background eraser" to mask layer workflow.

Under the layers, theres a “new mask layer” where ehn u click, it will create a mask layer on top of your layer where you can use black colored brush to erase and white color brush to draw back nondistructively. 

For shapes and vectors, you can build the parts you want to erase with shapes or by pen, than group them with the background layer and select the shapes and change the blend mode to “erase”

I know those features but I really would love to more direct and fast way - like background eraser to save data directly into mask layer and have same features like background eraser but non destructively - so it would only need to transform data to mask layer. At the moment i can also use background eraser tool and use final results to make it alpha channel / mask layer and continue my work with mask layers but it is slow process - i just wondered could there be new feature - option for background eraser tool where user could select mask layer for keying data. And sure i can also duplicate layer (other for color pick) and use background eraser for other one and use it by blend mode to earase the data but it is not as streamlined workflow as i would love to see.

+ I would also love to see feature (because i think it would be useful but i might be wrong this why this kind of feature suggestion should be voted and i think affinity team is good enough to think value for this kind of feature if it has any - it might be also useless) which would show directly / interactively (live preview like blend modes) - erased all same color values when color value is selected from colour panel and background eraser tool is selected to visualize the color range better (but also option to disable/unactived this kind of feature).

So it would be just interactive / live preview for color picked / color panel selected color to show / visualize the color range by erasing it with live preview for user to see that what color range value is selected at the moment.  I might have missed this kind of feature if there is already something similar.

22 hours ago, cosmical said:

but I really would love to more direct and fast way - like background eraser to save data directly into mask layer and have same features like background eraser but non destructively - so it would only need to transform data to mask laye

Thats what the brush tool on mask layer does if im understanding you correctly,

21 hours ago, cosmical said:

+ I would also love to see feature (because i think it would be useful but i might be wrong this why this kind of feature suggestion should be voted and i think affinity team is good enough to think value for this kind of feature if it has any - it might be also useless) which would show directly / interactively (live preview like blend modes) - erased all same color values when color value is selected from colour panel and background eraser tool is selected to visualize the color range better (but also option to disable/unactived this kind of feature).

Maybe i could reply you a better solution if you could provide a usecase example. Perhaps a video or a file with a description of the result you intent to get.