You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Cloud based assets/swatches/(fonts) (like Creative Cloud / Adobe library)

I recently moved from the Adobe suite. One of the things that i miss the most (and frankly is a bit surprised that it's not a feature) is a cloud based library.
The current "Assets" doesn't come close to Adobes library, but the most critical part is that it is local files (seriously?)

For more information https://helpx.adobe.com/uk/creative-cloud/how-to/creative-cloud-libraries.html

I don't want to promote an adobe product and besides this I love the affinity suite, but this is such a basic feature and it's not 2010 anymore.

Best regards,

Cloudbased solutions are not the magical pill that a lot of people think it is, they're just too fortunate not being in a situation that would make them aware. Lots of people still don't have reliable internet access or are not allowed access to external clouds for security reasons. I'm running into this too often and having e.g. a program's help files being internet based while working on  a location with very limited or no internet access is not what I would consider an improvement when you need that help file information.

So as far as I am concerned it is not "hail the cloud" but "nail the cloud" :P

Solutions like Adobes cloud are so demanding and intrusive. Can't stand that.

What we could talk about may be a cloud connector of some sort where you can choose between Dropbox, Google Drive, OwnCloud, NextCloud and so on.

You would enter an adress and credentials and let Affinity take care of syncing all the files in the background.

Of course you could do this on desktops with BTSync already, but the use case I imagine is keeping Photo for iPad in sync with Photo for desktop.

But still: IMHO this is so very unimportant and "nice to have" it should always be the last item of the backlog when everything else is done.

Windows 10 Pro x64 (1903). Intel Core i7-9700K @ 3.60GHz, 32 GB memory, NVidia RTX 2080
Affinity Photo 1.7.2.471, Affinity Designer 1.7.2.471, Affinity Publisher 1.7.2.471

Yes, it is nice to have rather than essential. The connector route is an option that can work quite well, as some other program I use does have this to connect with Dropbox, Box, Google etc. Of course this does require resources for regular updates to maintain compatibility, which should better be spent on getting the main Affinity apps fully functional first. Even if it would become available I would probably not use it for commercial clouds but only for in-house clouds (e.g. OwnCloud) due to client confidentiality, maybe only for syncing settings/preferences and other non-critical things.

If you are just one individual, asset sharing is probably not too important. However, if you are a graphics shop with several/multiple employees then I would think that asset sharing of some sort is extremely important. Yes, you can save your assets and then give them to someone else via sending a file but that can be a mess with multiple people all updating and distributing individual files. Having the option to share assets through a server or cloud based alternative, I think would be important. Not sure how or if that could work through something like google or dropbox, or onedrive by opening the file in the background and pulling it in when you run AP/AD.....or if it would have to be a dedicated sharing server like Adobe Cloud.

You always have the option to use stand-alone folder sync tools like BTSync or Syncthing to just share the assets folder behind the scenes.

If you are serious maybe something like Subversion or Git would be appropriate.

Windows 10 Pro x64 (1903). Intel Core i7-9700K @ 3.60GHz, 32 GB memory, NVidia RTX 2080
Affinity Photo 1.7.2.471, Affinity Designer 1.7.2.471, Affinity Publisher 1.7.2.471