You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Do i get the question right? In this case i would say use a font/symbol/svg... instead the bitmap.... but generally, that a good question: How to convert a selection" to a shape? I think its impossible, you can only convert to a path or bitmap.... not to a form/path...

But in your case, keep the selection, new layer, and paint with a solid color/brush or shift+F5 about the the selection... no other areas will "overpainted". Or jsut say  But thats pixel, not shape...

OSX 12.5  / iMac Retina 27" / Radeon Pro 580X / Metall: on! --- WWG1WGA WW!

15 minutes ago, reglico said:

in view of the result shown by the OP, the key has been drawn with the pen tool over an image, so it is vectorial and @>|< gives the right solution.

Are you sure? Do we speak about the sam topic??? Thats MY question: A selection (doesent matter which tool you use) is never a vector  - or, thats the question: How to become a vector from a selection????! AFAIK, there is no way! 

The "mask/path/tray..." is maybe a "show-vector", but how you can NOT transform to a solid vector(form, shape, path....)?????

22 minutes ago, Polygonius said:

Are you sure? Do we speak about the sam topic??? Thats MY question: A selection (doesent matter which tool you use) is never a vector  - or, thats the question: How to become a vector from a selection????! AFAIK, there is no way! 

The "mask/path/tray..." is maybe a "show-vector", but how you can NOT transform to a solid vector(form, shape, path....)?????

I just quickly drew the treble clef in red over the black clef image provided by @Kev-Affinity. In my screenshot the red key is selected and is a vector object, the musical staff with the black treble key is an image.
It is not a question of working directly on this image (for example by wanting to color the key) that I have locked, but to use it only as a model to reproduce its content. The image remains an image but the object drawn with the Pen tool is vectorial and can be filled directly once selected. the red key, once selected, is not a selection in the sense of selecting an area of pixels since it is vectorial.

Clé de sol.jpg

1 hour ago, Polygonius said:

Do i get the question right? In this case i would say use a font/symbol/svg... instead the bitmap.... but generally, that a good question: How to convert a selection" to a shape? I think its impossible, you can only convert to a path or bitmap.... not to a form/path...

But in your case, keep the selection, new layer, and paint with a solid color/brush or shift+F5 about the the selection... no other areas will "overpainted". Or jsut say  But thats pixel, not shape...

>|< isn't talking about a making a selection, he is talking about selecting the layer in the Layers Panel in order to change the Fill Mode, this is assuming the OP is using Affinity Designer and not Affinity Photo which doesn't have the fill mode option. 

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  
B| (Please refrain from licking the screen while using this forum)

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

My new best favourite musical note...

Behold the Demisemihemidemisemiquaver lol! aka Two hundred fifty-sixth note
2118132972_ScreenShot2019-01-03at21_25_33.png.c87c58f0608ef8877dd11762df5223ac.png
Demisemihemidemisemiquaver.svg

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_musical_symbols

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

Are you using AD or AP? What is the result you want?

Do you want to "replace" the black clef with a red one? AFAIK even in AD you can open FX and give them the color you want. And resize and re-winkle.... as the size... you want.

However in this case... i would "scratch this" from start... make a (maybe) 4 point line with the pen and power-duplicate 5 "brothers" with a distance of 25 pix... and than use use a "font" like "hymnus" or other musical-symbols, or just "draw" by yourself with rhe real forms.... .. but of course, you can also do any way you want... Even the longest... as "pixel"-layer-copy-paste... If you want, its also possible to get a result: Trace what you want, save it as reserve-chanel, but be sure, from here its "pixel". You can "trace" and "tweak" and often very well, but it will be "pixel" no vector!

FIRSTDEFENCE: Much Thx: I often do net get the main-ask ... but others too;-) (maybe not here... but in such "responses".... yeah, i would say: DO NOT NEVER NEVER answer if itthe problem is not clear! What system do you use? Which app is specific? Why do we answer to people who thing: you are my answer-slaves?

THEY want anything from us. NOt the the opposite!

We should not answer untill the most conformations are given: "WHATS YOUR PROBLEM in GENERAL?""""""

30 minutes ago, Polygonius said:

Are you using AD or AP? What is the result you want?

Do you want to "replace" the black clef with a red one? AFAIK even in AD you can open FX and give them the color you want. And resize and re-winkle.... as the size... you want.

However in this case... i would "scratch this" from start... make a (maybe) 4 point line with the pen and power-duplicate 5 "brothers" with a distance of 25 pix... and than use use a "font" like "hymnus" or other musical-symbols, or just "draw" by yourself with rhe real forms.... .. but of course, you can also do any way you want... Even the longest... as "pixel"-layer-copy-paste... If you want, its also possible to get a result: Trace what you want, save it as reserve-chanel, but be sure, from here its "pixel". You can "trace" and "tweak" and often very well, but it will be "pixel" no vector!

FIRSTDEFENCE: Much Thx: I often do net get the main-ask ... but others too;-) (maybe not here... but in such "responses".... yeah, i would say: DO NOT NEVER NEVER answer if itthe problem is not clear! What system do you use? Which app is specific? Why do we answer to people who thing: you are my answer-slaves?

THEY want anything from us. NOt the the opposite!

We should not answer untill the most conformations are given: "WHATS YOUR PROBLEM in GENERAL?""""""

For me, drawing the key in red simply allows me to distinguish the line I draw on the model which is black, I could have used yellow, it doesn't matter because I can change the color in one click.

I use AD and the pen, so the key I draw will be resizable at will without loss of quality, which would not be the case with pixels.

On a pixel layer, the key selection would also select the staff which is of the same color. This would require additional handling to isolate the key.

If people on the forum answered only questions with all the information necessary for an appropriate answer, there would be a very large majority of unanswered questions. It has already been asked to specify in the title of the question the software and OS used: it is not complicated but how many specify them? 

Moreover, for some (including myself) there is the language barrier, the understanding of the question or the formulation of the answer is not always obvious. Translators (Google, DeepL,...) sometimes go so far as to reverse the meaning of sentences. In my case, often I don't even have time to answer, an Anglophone may have reacted before I was ready to answer.

I wouldn't say that people who ask questions (which we all do at one time or another) take others for slaves to answer, the primary function of a forum is to provide answers to people who ask them. We are ourselves very happy when we get answers to our questions.

Sorry if my question has caused problems. I just wanted to know why tracing the symbol with the pen tool caused parts to have “holes” in it and what I could do to make it a solid object. I understand now if I change the fill mode in the layer menu it should fill in the holes.

But will this work solution if I want to apply a gradient fill?

Or would it be better to draw the outline of the symbol and then cut out the inner sections with the subtract operation? 

2 minutes ago, Kev-Affinity said:

draw the outline of the symbol and then cut out the inner sections with the subtract operation? 

That's certainly a workable solution and probably the easiest to do, once you have done that you can add whatever fills you like gradient or otherwise plus any layer fx you want.

24 minutes ago, Kev-Affinity said:

But will this work solution if I want to apply a gradient fill?

Or would it be better to draw the outline of the symbol and then cut out the inner sections with the subtract operation? 

21 minutes ago, firstdefence said:

That's certainly a workable solution and probably the easiest to do, once you have done that you can add whatever fills you like gradient or otherwise plus any layer fx you want.

Have you guys tried?
All that works fine with winding.

1765597458_ScreenShot2019-01-03at5_54_23PM.png.f1b83d58f1558a7086ab9abfc6d3aebf.png

11 hours ago, JimmyJack said:

It's because I'm an Anglophone! ;) :D

Or is it because you are using Demisemihemidemisemiquaver notation?

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7