You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Having real problems doing simple transformations of shapes in Affinity Designer. (Bear with me, as I am used to Photoshop and Illustrator, where I know how to do this). 

Scaling and sheering is simple enough - but let me give you an example of the sort of very basic thing I am trying to do. 

I have a book cover at an angle (half-closed book)  - so a sheered rectangle - now I have a simple logo that I want to transform so that it looks like it is on the book cover. (see attached image). For the life of me, I cannot figure it out and I am sure it must be very simple to do.

Anyone able to put me on the right track? 

slice1.jpg

Hello Chris Gould,

Unfortunately, currently it is not possible to do this in Designer, you must use Affinity Photo.
This tool must be added in Designer in a future version but there is no eta yet.

48 minutes ago, Chris Gould said:

This is pretty basic stuff - back to Illustrator I guess. Hope Serif get around to adding these fundamental features soon, as I really want to move over 100%.

Thanks for letting me know. 

Well, Illustrator has much more PS functionality from PS inside and vice-verse. But both cost as SINGEL more than 10 times than AD and AP together.... 

Serif gives you a very fair deal (the function you want is in AP just 2,3 mouseclicks)... but yeah, i also would like to have some AD inside AP and maybe also some A-pub-functions... And this in ONE simple app, without changing, switching....

For me i really hope, Serif would make a bundle in once, a SUITE-app: An AP+AD in one suite (and if you like a publisher too (for greater price). But however: Either AP uses AD same code (functions) from each solo and viceversa... so the SUITE shuold be maybe 80% of the price for both together. The SUITEs (2,3,4...) should always offer some or all SERIF apps/function inside ONE app, but with a special-offer for each "app" of maybe 20%.

A Serif SUITE, where you can choose maybe 4 "apps" / bigmodules, whatever... in ONE handy app (special-app personas wiil listed as SUITE-personas) would be really nice. Even if Serif grows the generally prices... that would be great for me. I just want to decide: Do i need a DAW-app/persona? Or a publisher-app/persona) Or a paint-persona? A AFter FX-persona? ... No, i just want 3 personas/apps? So i only buy this as ONE SUITE!

OSX 12.5  / iMac Retina 27" / Radeon Pro 580X / Metall: on! --- WWG1WGA WW!

I agree that Serif gives more than great value for the price (this has always been the case from way back). I have been buying Serif products since my PC was beige. Plus - I really hate subscription models - so I am rooting for Serif and hope that they take over Adobe at some point. However, to do this, they really need to compete on the basic features at least. I really hope that they do so and win the endgame. I still use both Designer and Photo when I can (and will be getting The Publisher when it comes out), but at the moment I find myself switching back and forth with the adobe programs that I would like very much to leave behind. 

FWIW, it took Adobe years to be able to do an envelope warp. Corel had it earlier, but my recollection was at introduction, it was very limited. The mesh was, I think, just 3 x 3. So, I'm not surprised the Affinity apps don't have it yet.

As a btw, there's a neat production available called "Graphic Means," which charts some of the changes to graphic arts that happened w. computers. One of the last parts has a woman who was there when DTP 1st appeared. She mentioned that while the dead line was always so hard to meet, they usually had 2 days to make sudden changes. Now, clients expect like 2 seconds. In other words, back in the day, the logo would just have been hand drawn, and taken an hour or so on the old slow hardware. Better than a day working at the drafting table.

iMac 27" Retina, c. 2015: OS X 10.11.5: 3.3 GHz I c-5: 32 Gb,  AMD Radeon R9 M290 2048 Mb

iPad 12.9" Retina, iOS 10, 512 Gb, Apple pencil

Huion WH1409 tablet