You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Layer Lock on nested Layers

The layers lock appears not to have any effect to layers which are nested as sub-layers. They become transformed when their parent layer gets transformed.

Here an example within a text layer, in which the objects inside become undesirably stretched:

macOS 10.14.6 | MacBookPro Retina 15" | Eizo 27" | Affinity V1

Ah, yes, lock children does work as expected. Thank you, fde101!

– But then, what is the layers lock supposed to lock? The help text made me think it would prevent transforms.

" To lock a layer (or layer object): (...)
Select Lock/Unlock again or use the Layer menu's Unlock item, to allow the layer contents or object to be transformed again."

That seems to work when I select locked layers only but not with their parent layer selected.

macOS 10.14.6 | MacBookPro Retina 15" | Eizo 27" | Affinity V1

Yes, I believe that your interpretation is correct in general, but I'm not sure if it is intentional that it is not impacting child layers or if that is a bug.  I could easily see this going either way, so someone from the Affinity team might need to speak to that one.

• 4 weeks later...

As I understand it, reading the help manual, Lock is suppose to prevent any alteration to the layer/object. I’ve found employing Lock only prevents it from being  transformed, while still alllowing other alterations such as color changes and FX to be applied. This could be a bug or a wrongly written definition within the manual. 

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.