You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Black and White printing problem

Hi, I’m trying to print a B&W image on my canon ip8750 printer,but each time it hs a brown cast.

I have tried both “printer”and “sync “ options , but the result is always the same.

Some detailed guidance would be gratefully received.

• Staff

Hi sam3,

Sorry to hear you're having trouble. Could you please confirm the following:

Are you using Windows or Mac?

Have you installed the latest drivers for your IP8750?

Is your printer set to B&W only mode, or is the image itself B&W?

If possible, could you provide a copy of the file so we can look into this for you? It's possible that an incorrect colour profile has been set for the document, causing the brown colour cast.

Please note -

I am currently out of the office for a short while whilst recovering from surgery (nothing serious!), therefore will not be available on the Forums during this time.

Should you require a response from the team in a thread I have previously replied in - please Create a New Thread and our team will be sure to reply as soon as possible.

Many thanks!

Well it always needs some try outs & testing for B&W printing to get somehow usable results. See for example this video here.

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan
☛ Affinity V2.3 apps ◆ MacOS Sonoma 14.2 ◆ iPad OS 17.2

The manual mentions that greyscale printing can be adjusted between cool and warm, which range from somewhat bluish to brownish. Checked that?

iMac 27" Retina, c. 2015: OS X 10.11.5: 3.3 GHz I c-5: 32 Gb,  AMD Radeon R9 M290 2048 Mb

iPad 12.9" Retina, iOS 10, 512 Gb, Apple pencil

Huion WH1409 tablet

7 minutes ago, gdenby said:

The manual mentions that greyscale printing can be adjusted between cool and warm, which range from somewhat bluish to brownish. Checked that?

Page 212 and 213 etc.

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan
☛ Affinity V2.3 apps ◆ MacOS Sonoma 14.2 ◆ iPad OS 17.2

Sorry Guys,

this does not give me the solution I’m looking for,

viz, to select “sync”and have AP output to the printer.

There must be something I have set wrong!

For your information I have contacted Canon.

Their answer is to send me “My Image Garden” download which does

allow me to print in B&W.

However, I don’t want to have to adopt a further process.

ANY IDEAS DAN ?

Have you set the colour format to Greyscale 8bit? 

If you do this when you assign a colour profile there will be a greyscale D50 option that is automatically assigned.
Screen-Shot-2019-01-04-at-16-44-10.png

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  
B| (Please refrain from licking the screen while using this forum)

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

5 hours ago, sam3 said:

Thanks “firstdefence” selecting “ Greyscale 8bit in colour profile certainly seems to do the job.

However, I really don’t think I should have to do that when I have a B&W image on screen.

Technically, images like yours contain various shades of grey, not just black & white. More to the point, if the file includes an embedded color space ("Color Format" in Affinity terminology) in its metadata, Affinity will open it using that color space.

For example, I opened the file you attached to your post in Affinity Photo, set its color format to Greyscale (8 bit) & exported it as this png:
DSC_0088(1).png.b04cebbbf19317ea4c372fe673356709.png

If you drag it to your Mac's desktop, you should get a file named DSC_0088(1).png there. Select (highlight) it & press CMD+i to open the Finder info window for it. You should see in the "More info" section that its Color space is Gray. Now open the file & Affinity Photo & check its color format.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

• 3 years later...

I printed the same image on my Canon Pro 100S and Epson XP-960.  When sending to the Canon I got what you see in the first screen shot (check box for Black and White Photo Print) and a somewhat different one when sending to the Epson.  The Canon needed a click on the Quality and Media dropdown and the Epson a click on the Range and Scale opened a dropdown with an option for Black & White.

Although different, each produced an accetable result.

Screenshot Canon resized.png

Screenshot Epson.png

Retina iMac (4K display, 1TB SSD, 16GB RAM) OS X 10.11.6  Capture One 10.