You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

I’m not having much success reducing large pano files to small web-size mailable files .... the resamplilng methods given seem to toss out allot of information,, blurring and digitizing details.  Is there a way to retain the large file detail, as per PS using bilineal sharpen, etc.  Neighboring helps a little, but I’m still blowing out details ... sizing goes from 15,000px wide to 2,000.  The original panos look good.

• Staff

Hi Jim,

Could you share some sample files?  If you'd rather not upload them to the Forums, please use this Dropbox link

I've just tried this on my iPad with a 5 stitch pano, which was stitched to 12,000 and when resized down to 2000 i'm not noticing any loss of details.  Now as every picture is different, it may just be the images i'm using.  So some test images from your self and also one showing the final export (which shows the loss of detail) will be a big help :) 

Absolutely, and thanks.  Here are two test shots that might help  ... the full shot is the re-sampled version of 2000px wide, made from the original of 21,448px wide ... a 6x4 matrix using Gigapan and an APSC Sony 6300.   The tight crop version into the shed is a screen grab from the full blend  — which shows a comparative section .... the air vents at the top of the shed are relatively sharp vs the resample which is blurred when re-rendered. Third crop is from the re-sample, with blurry field.    I tried all the options for resampling.  Be nice to capture this detail in a shrunken version for web purposes. Thanks again for any clues.

325831B2-742E-4592-A152-93AFE3A77859.jpeg

4F0DA1E0-CAC4-4324-8E32-202A9EA2EFD5.png

417E5489-ABFF-4A80-B890-5FEB796AF3CE.png

One more sample, captured with legacy 200mm prime Canon FD f2.8 lens at f11 on a Sony mirrorless 6300 body.  Displays some CA, but its just a test for re-sampling a blend of 20 images, resized from 20,000px wide to 2,000px wide, using “nearest neighbor” in Affinity Photo.  Still seems soft to me at that reduction.  (See the screen-crop of the original blend, vs full image of the re-sampled reduction.).  NOTE: I tried to focus the foreground AND the distance manually during each of 20 shots.  Probably not a good idea as the re-focused blend lines (ie on large tree)  become too obvious.  Better to shoot with 85mm for Gigapans, and a single fixed hyperfocal distance at f16, depending on foreground / background distance.   Jim 

05877D15-007E-4604-881D-1907515945C0.png

FE6089C3-FEA9-47D1-B4B8-557063EE3D6E.png