OeilDeLance

[Designer] Move tool unusable whith a few hundred points selected

I really like affinity designer and consider it a really promising alternative to Illustrator.

I purchased this software for my mother who is a lace maker and need to draw lace backgrounds with a vectorial software.

The problem is that these backgrounds are really detailed and can have thousands of lines. The move tool becomes quickly unresponsive even on a high end machine such as an intel E5-2678V3.

I attached a quick example file - to reproduce the problem: Select all object and try to use the move tool.

This really is the only obstacle to us to get rid of the Adobe plague ^^

Does any one have the same problem ?
Any kind of help appreciated,

Thanks !

Additional information: The same thing works with no problem in Illustrator (a bit slow but still usable).

mm.afdesign

Up.
Could any one tell me what I am missing to have an answer ?
My forum account is not linked to any purchase but I would be happy to provide the details of the account who did.

Hi @OeilDeLance

Sorry for the delayed reply. We've got quite a high volume of forum posts at the moment but we're doing our best to reply as soon as we can. 

I've had a look at your design. You have got 4760 layers. Moving all them at once will be on the slow side (~6 seconds lag), and this is expected with such a high number of layers. Generally, more is better, but in this case some lag is expected. 

Thanks,

Gabe. 

Yes and no. You can expand curves and then merge the layers. But that is a "destructive" process which gets rid of the original control points and basically expands the curve. 

image.png

Left is before expand stroke, right is after. 

6 minutes ago, GabrielM said:

But that is a "destructive" process which gets rid of the original control points and basically expands the curve.

And, as usual, the expanded stroke isn’t entirely accurate. In this case, the sides aren’t parallel and the bottom curve is slightly flattened.

Alfred online2long.gif
Affinity Designer 1.6.5.123 • Affinity Photo 1.6.5.123 • Windows 10 Home (4th gen Core i3 CPU)
Affinity Photo for iPad 1.6.11.85 • Affinity Designer for iPad 1.6.4.45 • iOS 12.2 (iPad Air 2)

Yes and no. You can expand curves and then merge the layers. But that is a "destructive" process which gets rid of the original control points and basically expands the curve.

So if there is no way for the user to speed things up, then there is something I do not understand :
My mother is importing Illustrator files into designer that have 10s of thousands of layers. They are not slow in illustrator.
So the following answer  :

I've had a look at your design. You have got 4760 layers. Moving all them at once will be on the slow side (~6 seconds lag), and this is expected with such a high number of layers. Generally, more is better, but in this case some lag is expected. 

… is not really acceptable, something I would understand would be more along the lines of :

"Sorry we know our software is not the fastest but at the moment optimisation is not our priority"

I know I am probably being rude. As a programmer I know the reality of deadlines and schedules but I also know what an intel E5-2678V3  can do !

We love you guys I think everybody does here. And we would love this software to replace illustrator but in this case it is difficult to consider it because of the lack of performance.

I would be happy to provide you with the illustrator file if I can send it to you privately.

You're more than happy to try our Designer beta and see if you notice an improvement: https://forum.affinity.serif.com/index.php?/forum/33-designer-beta-on-windows/

That answer is more than acceptable. I was talking about the current software and what it can do, and not trying to hide away any facts. We have never claimed that optimisation is not our priority. For 1.7, most of the tools have gone through a complete re-write, purely for this reason.