Getting the Setup failed error message

The computer is Win 10 Pro with 1809-build 17763.195

This computer had an earlier demo version which was  uninstalled

Help!

• Staff

Hi Piyer and Welcome to the Forums,

Can you rerun the setup for Affinity and then check this location:

%temp%/AffinitySetup

To get to that location, call up the run box by holding down the Windows key and tapping the letter R. Then just copy and paste the above path into the run box and click okay.  A window will open which may have a few folders in, if you can find the latest one and open the folder and upload any of the logs to our Dropbox here and i'll be able to advise further :) 

• 7 months later...
  • Staff

Hi sdrum,

This is the error from your log:

'The older version of Affinity Photo cannot be removed.  Contact your technical support group..'

Can you download and run this from Microsoft:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-gb/help/17588/windows-fix-problems-that-block-programs-being-installed-or-removed

Run that and select having trouble installing and let it do its check for issues.  When it's finished try running our setup again as the Administrator and it should then install the update.  

• Staff

Hi sleepy0827,

From the log, i see you've changed your TEMP directory to the R drive and this is the main reason the setup is failing.  If you can change the TEMP folder back to the C drive, re-run our setup the update will install.  Once installed you can change the TEMP folder back to the R drive :) 

Just another tipp for a solution:

On running the updates, I endet up with two empty folders (Photo and Publisher) under "C:/ProgrammData/Affinity". They prevented the new Installer from creating these folders and the setup failed.

Even with admin, I had no access permissions to delete them.

After trying some tricks, to get back the permissions, I ended in rebooting the pc. Tada... problem solved. The folder are gone, and the setup run successfully :-)

Hope this helps someone.