You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

The tools "Develop persona"

Hi!
Question absurd, but the innocent that I'm still posing : Why can't we have all the tools "Persona photo" in "Develop persona"?

Thank's !

Bonjour !
Question absurde , mais l'innocent que je suis la pose malgré tout : Pourquoi ne peut-on pas disposer de tous les outils "photo Persona" dans "Develop persona" ?

merci !

I may be wrong, but I guess it has something to do with how photographers need to process their RAW files and other camera image formats before dragging in their files into the Photo Persona, which then converts the image into a non-RAW format to be edited there. I know Photoshop has a similar feature in their Camera Raw addon where you preferrably want to edit your RAW photos in before exporting them into Photoshop.

On 1/2/2019 at 6:56 PM, Frozen Death Knight said:

I may be wrong, but I guess it has something to do with how photographers need to process their RAW files and other camera image formats before dragging in their files into the Photo Persona, which then converts the image into a non-RAW format to be edited there. I know Photoshop has a similar feature in their Camera Raw addon where you preferrably want to edit your RAW photos in before exporting them into Photoshop.

Yes, that is the reason.

You would never want to alter your RAW file as this is the original.

All modifications done in the Develop persona are saved into an XML sidecar file rather than actually applied to the original.

Edit: I lied here as I just assumed and did not check the facts. Sorry.

Edited by Steps

Windows 10 Pro x64 (1903). Intel Core i7-9700K @ 3.60GHz, 32 GB memory, NVidia RTX 2080
Affinity Photo 1.7.2.471, Affinity Designer 1.7.2.471, Affinity Publisher 1.7.2.471

1 hour ago, Steps said:

All modifications done in the Develop persona are saved into an XML sidecar file rather than actually applied to the original.

Your use of "Develop persona" suggests that you're talking about Affinity Photo, but Affinity Photo does not use sidecar files. (You're right that the original RAW file is not changed, though.)

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

1 hour ago, Steps said:

You would never want to alter your RAW file as this is the original.

Well this is software dependent. - For example in the past Nikon Capture NX2 (Nikon's RAW converter with embedded NIK U-Point technology) saved NEF files and thus a new RAW file here. It's follow up Capture NX-D changed this and uses nowadays side car files instead.

1 hour ago, Steps said:

NO it doesn't create any XML sidecar file, it actually doesn't handle anything like that so far.

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan
☛ Affinity V2.3 apps ◆ MacOS Sonoma 14.2 ◆ iPad OS 17.2

Ok, the sidecar file was a wild guess. You catched me. :D

I know that from many other RAW converters and assumed.

I actually don't use Affinity Photo for RAW. I use Canon Digital Photo Professional, because it alters the CR2 RAW file as it saves non-destructive all adjustments, rotation and crop into the file and refreshes the embedded preview.

I tried, but I hate handling with sidecars.

Windows 10 Pro x64 (1903). Intel Core i7-9700K @ 3.60GHz, 32 GB memory, NVidia RTX 2080
Affinity Photo 1.7.2.471, Affinity Designer 1.7.2.471, Affinity Publisher 1.7.2.471

20 minutes ago, Steps said:

I use Canon Digital Photo Professional, because it alters the CR2 RAW file as it saves non-destructive all adjustments, rotation and crop into the file and refreshes the embedded preview.

Hmm I always thought Canon nowadays also uses sidecar files (.dr4) instead, and thus doesn't alter the CR2 RAW file directly. - However since I'm first of all a Nikonian it's some longer time ago I played around with DPP, last time when using a 5DM3 for some studio shots. - Though I think they nowadays also changed a lot in their RAW converter software here, since they too have to support newer cam models and the like.

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan

excuse me, I use google translation because I do not speak English!
what seems to me a pity is that AFFINITY photo "develop persona" does not keep the changes. As a result, we can not stop work at this stage. On this point LIGHTROOM allows it. If the developers of AFFINITY photo could optimize this software to LIGHTROOM image and imitate it for batch development it would be ideal. I would agree to pay a new license if it resulted in future events.

excusez-moi, j'utilise google traduction car je ne parle pas l'Anglais !
ce qui me parait dommage, c'est que AFFINITY photo "develop persona" ne conserve pas les modifications. De ce fait nous ne pouvons pas arrêter un travail à cette étape. Sur ce point LIGHTROOM le permet. Si les développeurs de AFFINITY photo pouvaient optimiser ce logiciel à 'image de LIGHTROOM et l'imiter pour le développement par lot ce serait idéal. J'accepterais de payer une nouvelle licence si cela se traduisait dans les faits futurs.

6 hours ago, v_kyr said:

Hmm I always thought Canon nowadays also uses sidecar files (.dr4) instead, and thus doesn't alter the CR2 RAW file directly. - However since I'm first of all a Nikonian it's some longer time ago I played around with DPP, last time when using a 5DM3 for some studio shots. - Though I think they nowadays also changed a lot in their RAW converter software here, since they too have to support newer cam models and the like.

Interesting, I will take a look into that.

I should have said that I do not use the latest version of DPP.

I have a Canon 60D and use the software that came with it.

If they actually dropped support for saving all into one file it is another reason to keep my workflow.

I also tested Photos RAW engine, Adobe Camera RAW, Lightroom and DxO Optics Pro before as alternatives but found that DPP gives the best results in sharpness. I have a somewhat difficult and noisy test shot I used for that and figured out regardless how long I play with the settings, no other software can develop CR2 with keeping that much detail. That is the other reason I don't change anything right now.

4 hours ago, Steps said:

I also tested Photos RAW engine, Adobe Camera RAW, Lightroom and DxO Optics Pro before as alternatives but found that DPP gives the best results in sharpness. I have a somewhat difficult and noisy test shot I used for that and figured out regardless how long I play with the settings, no other software can develop CR2 with keeping that much detail. That is the other reason I don't change anything right now.

Honestly the respective camera vendors usually know their cams best, so I'm not surprised if DPP gives better results for Canon cams RAW files here. They (the cam vendors) have much more internal first hand knowledge about their cams and thus can also make the software (in this case the RAW converter) to behave better with their hardware.

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.