You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Differences in the "Zoom to fit" view

Hello, there is quite a difference in the "Zoom to fit" view for .afphoto files and .jpg files (see screenshots) The jpg file looks sharper.

Bildschirmfoto 2018-12-30 um 09.51.09.png

Bildschirmfoto 2018-12-30 um 09.51.17.png

iMac 2017, 16 GB RAM, Intel Iris Plus Graphics 640 1536 MB, MacOS Ventura 13.6.6 (22G630) - Affinity V2-Universallizenz 

Hi Chris,

the jpg was made from the afphoto file. No extra sharpening.

Give me a link to upload the .afphoto file and I'll do it.

iMac 2017, 16 GB RAM, Intel Iris Plus Graphics 640 1536 MB, MacOS Ventura 13.6.6 (22G630) - Affinity V2-Universallizenz 

This also happens with "Merge visible" (see screenshots)
Only with the 100% view (and above) both look the same.
All views below 100% differ from each other.

The lower image is after "Merge visible"

Cheers

Puck

Bildschirmfoto 2019-01-06 um 11.42.34.png

Bildschirmfoto 2019-01-06 um 11.42.57.png

On 1/2/2019 at 11:02 AM, Chris B said:

I've done a quick comparison with my own files and I can't see any difference between them.

Hi Chris, maybe it's the way I combine Live Filters with each other?

Cheers

Puck :12_slight_smile:

On 1/2/2019 at 2:26 PM,  Puck said: 

Give me a link to upload the .afphoto file and I'll do it.

Here you go :)

Done :)

• Staff

Thanks for the file.

It looks as though at 100% zoom both the jpeg and afphoto file render the same. If you zoom out (or export) you can see a clear difference but I believe this is because of all the noise and detail. 

I think the re-sampling at different zooms is what is causing this. If you go to Preferences > Performance and change the View Quality to Nearest Neighbour, the document at say 25% zoom looks more accurate to its jpeg. This is because it isn't trying to render all the detail that Bilinear is doing. I'm not suggesting to use Nearest Neighbour as this could make other documents look worse.

I've checked Photoshop and they have a similar issue wherein it renders differently at zoom levels. 

3 hours ago, Chris B said:

Thanks for the file.

It looks as though at 100% zoom both the jpeg and afphoto file render the same. If you zoom out (or export) you can see a clear difference but I believe this is because of all the noise and detail. 

I think the re-sampling at different zooms is what is causing this. If you go to Preferences > Performance and change the View Quality to Nearest Neighbour, the document at say 25% zoom looks more accurate to its jpeg. This is because it isn't trying to render all the detail that Bilinear is doing. I'm not suggesting to use Nearest Neighbour as this could make other documents look worse.

I've checked Photoshop and they have a similar issue wherein it renders differently at zoom levels. 

Hi Chris, thank you very much for the quick answer and your work. I appreciate that very much. I know that some of my files are quite unconventional, and I can live with the different views, I just wanted to point out if the developers can change anything. If not, it's ok. I'll try "Nearest Neighbor" just to see what happens.

Cheers

Puck :)

PS: I have no comparison to Photoshop, because I have banned any Adobe software from my computers.

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.