You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Resized photos not keeping new setting when saved

I'm stumped about what should be a simple, straightforward process. I can't get my photos I've updated with new Resize Document settings to retain the new settings when saved.

1. Open a photo file in Affinity Photo 1.6.7: about 4-5MB, 72x72 dpi imported from digital camera to iMac (late 2015 running macOS Mojave 10.14.2). See Screen 1 attached.

2. Resize document dpi to 300, change dimension from pixels to inches and set size to around 8x6/6x8. Probably also make adjustments to the photo. See Screen 2.

3. Save the modified photo by pressing Cmd-S. The file name is no longer 'modified.' Close the file. See Screen 3.

The file's metadata states that the pixel dimensions are still 72x72. So I re-open the photo file, check the Resize Document settings and, sure enough, none of the updated Resize settings have changed. This process repeats, regardless of the photo file. I even unlock the Background Layer containing the photo; same problem. Disregarding Einstein's advice, I repeat the process hoping for a different result.

Don't have this problem with Photoshop or Photo Elements.

What's going on? What am I doing wrong? Really appreciate your assistance.

Screen 1 - Original Resize settings.png

Screen 2 - Updated Resize settings, saved.png

Screen 3 - re-opened file, unchanged settings.png

There is a bug in Affinity Photo: it does not update the metadata that includes the dpi setting when changed by a user. The workaround is to export the file & in the export window click on the "More" button, untick the "Embed metadata" checkbox, & export the file.

The good news is this has been fixed in the 1.7 customer beta.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7