You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Hi

Im just two days old at Affinity photo and have now downloaded my raw files from my NikonD800 to my computor. 

When I want to choose an image and go to ”open” there is no way to see the image, like in Adobe ”Bridge” . Just  raw-ikons. Must have missed something here. So - How and where can I see my pictures and choose the right one  It must be something basic

Thank you

Claes

PROBLEM SOLVED !

Thank you all guys for the help you shared. In my case Win7 64bit, Nikon D800 I use:
NEF files -      S-NEFCDC-013100WF-ALLIN-ALL___
PSD files -      sagethumbs_2.0.0.23

This works like a charm until Affinity can develop and implement something like "Bridge" 

Once again THANK YOU

Mac or Windows?

Affinity Photo has a basic Media Browser View > Media Browser Mac (⇧⌘M) Windows (⇧+Ctrl+M) and NEF files are displayed, I'm on Mac so it might be different if you are on Windows.

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  
B| (Please refrain from licking the screen while using this forum)

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

The thumbnails are displayed by the OS' native file manager, not by AP.  I'm not a Mac user, but I installed the Fast Picture Viewer codec pack on Windows and it allows pretty much any RAW format to be displayed.  The codecs aren't free, but they're very reasonably priced.

AP, AD & APub user, running Win10

59 minutes ago, firstdefence said:

Mac or Windows?

Affinity Photo has a basic Media Browser View > Media Browser Mac (⇧⌘M) Windows (⇧+Ctrl+M) and NEF files are displayed, I'm on Mac so it might be different if you are on Windows.

The Windows versions do not have a Media Browser & that feature has been removed from the Mac 1.7 betas. More info about that here. Like @IanSG said, the OS supplies the thumbnails. That function is built into Macs but requires a third party codec on Windows.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

3 hours ago, R C-R said:

The Windows versions do not have a Media Browser & that feature has been removed from the Mac 1.7 betas. More info about that here. Like @IanSG said, the OS supplies the thumbnails. That function is built into Macs but requires a third party codec on Windows.

When using File > Open, thumbnails for the Nikon D800 should display natively in Windows too (7, 8 and 10) without needing third-party codecs to be installed.

Microsoft stopped updating the Windows 10 raw codecs around mid 2016 (I think Windows 10 1607 was the last version that contained the latest camera codecs).  Therefore, Windows File Explorer will natively display raw files (and metadata) for cameras up to the Nikon D5 and D500 (which were announced 2016 Quarter 1), but it won't display D3400 or later (which was announced 2016 Quarter 3).  

The Nikon D800 was announced in 2012 and is therefore already included in the Windows codec packs and natively supported.  For newer cameras—like the D3400 onwards—Nikon provide a NEF Codec module that can be downloaded from their site.

8 hours ago, - S - said:

The Nikon D800 was announced in 2012 and is therefore already included in the Windows codec packs and natively supported.

I don't believe the Windows codec pack was ever exhaustive - my Win 10 installation will not display D800 files natively.   It's probably worth mentioning that my OS is a clean install - upgraded systems can easily pick up a suitable codec from an old software package.

Thank you all for the help. Very nice of you all.
The windows codec    S-NEFCDC-013100WF-ALLIN-ALL___    from Nikon helped me perfect.:) I can now see all NEF pictures in my file manager, win7 64 bit

BUT ... does anybody know what I need to see my saved Photoshop psd-files in a similar way?  Now it is just icons.

Thank you

Claes

On 1/2/2019 at 5:06 PM, IanSG said:

I don't believe the Windows codec pack was ever exhaustive - my Win 10 installation will not display D800 files natively.   It's probably worth mentioning that my OS is a clean install - upgraded systems can easily pick up a suitable code from an old software package.

Windows 10 should display thumbnails for Nikon D800 files natively.  I've just tried it on a machine running 1809 (17763.195) that was clean installed from USB stick three weeks ago.  Nikon D800 thumbnails and metadata display fine; the machine only has Canon DPP 4 and Affinity Photo 1.6 installed on it.

001.thumb.png.86f53988390f5b4f15f388cd557bada7.png

I've also just checked another machine that was clean installed from USB stick seven weeks ago, and only has office software installed on it.  That shows the same:

002.thumb.png.c2dda8a1e8872c923aad2da35df88a04.png

4 hours ago, Claes said:

does anybody know what I need to see my saved Photoshop psd-files in a similar way?  Now it is just icons.

I haven't tried it myself, but have a look at Sage Thumbs.

1 hour ago, - S - said:

I've just tried it on a machine running 1809 (17763.195) that was clean installed from USB stick three weeks ago.  Nikon D800 thumbnails and metadata display fine;

Interesting - I wonder if it depends on which version you're using?  I'm running win 10 Pro.

<edit>

Sorry - just noticed you are too!

PROBLEM SOLVED !

Thank you all guys for the help you shared. In my case Win7 64bit, Nikon D800 I use:
NEF files -      S-NEFCDC-013100WF-ALLIN-ALL___
PSD files -      sagethumbs_2.0.0.23

This works like a charm until Affinity can develop and implement something like "Bridge" 

Once again THANK YOU

• 2 weeks later...

@IanSG

In case you're interested, camera raw codecs are going to be added to Windows 10 as an extension—where they can be updated independently from the OS.

The beta has been added to the Microsoft Store for Windows insiders running insider build 18310 or later.  However, I'm not in the insider program therefore I don't know whether or not it's fully functional yet.

Details can be found here:
https://www.microsoft.com/p/raw-image-extension/9nctdw2w1bh8

Raw Image Extension (Beta)

PLEASE NOTE – thanks for your interest in the Raw Image Extension (Beta). It is currently in development for a future version of Windows and requires Windows Insider build 18310 or later. 

The Raw Image Extension adds native viewing support for images captured in raw file formats produced by many mid- to high-end digital cameras. By installing the package, you will be able to view thumbnails and metadata of supported raw file formats right in Windows File Explorer or view images in the Photos app. The current version of the extension supports a long list of cameras, however some Raw formats like .CR3, and .GPR are not currently supported at this time. 

This package is made possible thanks to libraw open source project (https://www.libraw.org). Check out https://www.libraw.org/supported-cameras for a list of supported cameras. Libraw library is licensed under COMMON DEVELOPMENT AND DISTRIBUTION LICENSE Version 1.0 (CDDL-1.0).

8 hours ago, - S - said:

@IanSG

In case you're interested, camera raw codecs are going to be added to Windows 10 as an extension—where they can be updated independently from the OS.

The beta has been added to the Microsoft Store for Windows insiders running insider build 18310 or later.  However, I'm not in the insider program therefore I don't know whether or not it's fully functional yet.

Details can be found here:
https://www.microsoft.com/p/raw-image-extension/9nctdw2w1bh8

Thanks for that! I'll watch out for developments.