You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Import and Export Workflow

Hey Affinity!

First of all: great job on Affinity Photo. I tried to get rid of macOS and my notebook and recently moved to the new iPad Pro 2018 (12.9“) and it‘s great! Affinity Photo really does a good job.

But there‘s some things that it could do better - from my point of view.

First of all: When I import multiple photos and tip on a thumbnail to dive into the development persona for raw photos, I always have to „develop“ the picture or it gets lost when I return to the overview (see short video file attached). This is kind of annoying. Is this the way it‘s intended?

As I tend to work on multiple files within projects, it would be very handy if Affinity Photo supports more on that topic. I definitely miss more features for handling large amounts of pictures, say tagging pictures, attaching labels or color codes or star votes - things like that.

And at last: When I worked on several photos within a project I come to a moment that I‘d like to export my work, there‘s no chance to export all files in a row. So I really want a feature „export all“, for example reachable via the three-dot-menu beside the project title in the main view.

If you have any advice or tip to support my kind of workflow, it‘d be great.

Thanks in advance!

Cheers,
Frank

• Staff
On 1/1/2019 at 5:15 PM, Tifrato said:

First of all: When I import multiple photos and tip on a thumbnail to dive into the development persona for raw photos, I always have to „develop“ the picture or it gets lost when I return to the overview (see short video file attached). This is kind of annoying. Is this the way it‘s intended?

Yup that is intended behaviour.  As they are RAW files, they are not technically images at that the computer can display, it's just data from the camera.  So the Develop process, converts this into actual pixels you can see on screen (i've likely badly explained that, but this article explains a lot more about RAW files).

I definitely miss more features for handling large amounts of pictures, say tagging pictures, attaching labels or color codes or star votes - things like that.

The tagging of pictures ect, is something that i would expect to be possible in our DAM app, which is currently in development (no ETA on when we will even see a beta of this yet).  

And at last: When I worked on several photos within a project I come to a moment that I‘d like to export my work, there‘s no chance to export all files in a row. So I really want a feature „export all“, for example reachable via the three-dot-menu beside the project title in the main view.

I know this has been requested before, so hopefully it's something that will come in a future update :)

Thanks for your reply.

11 hours ago, stokerg said:

Yup that is intended behaviour.  As they are RAW files, they are not technically images at that the computer can display, it's just data from the camera.  So the Develop process, converts this into actual pixels you can see on screen (i've likely badly explained that, but this article explains a lot more about RAW files).

I understand that. But I don‘t see why this affects the way AP shows or forgets undeveloped pictures. I simply cannot decide at a first glance if I want to dive into the picture and develop it or better take the next or that other one I saw as a thumbnail. So navigating back and forth should not „kind of delete“ the pictures. This is simply unexpected. And unfortunately you cannot simply put the forgotten ones back, because if I import the very same stack again, I‘ll get duplicates.

The tagging of pictures ect, is something that i would expect to be possible in our DAM app, which is currently in development (no ETA on when we will even see a beta of this yet).  

What means DAM? I‘m getting curious :P

I know this has been requested before, so hopefully it's something that will come in a future update :)

I hope that‘s not too late... I really want to use AP as my first choice for doing semi-professional photography on my iPad Pro!